Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Are these reliable?

Edward Reid wrote:
Just note that they are for solid copper wire only. No stranded (you
can't get it in anyway ... don't ask how I know), and no aluminum. For
hooking up light fixtures, it would be very useful to have one that
take stranded.

Edward

The Ideal ones in the original post are rated for stranded wi
http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/brochures/p-2854_in-sure_brochure.pdf
(205kB)
For #16 to #12 wire (and #10 wire for another one) the wire can be up to
19 strand (which is probably the max for branch circuit wires). For #18
wire can be up to 7 strand.
(That eliminates extension cord wire).

Wago makes them that also can use stranded wire. #18 probably has to be
solid.

(Backstabs are rated for solid wire only.)

I make no representations, expressed or implied, about the usability of
these products for applications in the real world using either solid or
stranded wire.

--
bud--