Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Refrigerator leaves water on the floor

A friend with a 2 year old big Sears refrigerator/freezer, freezer
drawer on the bottom, has a small amount of water on the ceramic tile
floor.

I said he should turn the water off to the ice maker and see if the
water stops. It has a saddle-valve easily reachable in the basement.
I said to tighten it "firmly" but not too tight. Now I think firmly
could be heard as firmer than it should be. A better word?

*He* wants to pull the fridge away from the wall to look. It has
wheels, but they don't touch the floor and he thinks you have to tip
it back to get the wheels to lower down. Could that be true?

In addition, the fridge is only 3 inches from the wall and he can't
tip it enough.

Plus it's in the corner, with little extra width, no place to grab on,
and no one can pull it out! Maybe ropes attached to the two front
legs, that will pull and lift a bit too?

Suggestions?

Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mm wrote:
[...]

More than likely the water is from plugged defrost line or overflow of
catch pan.

There's a screw mechanism for lowering the casters or raising the
leveling legs one (or both). Either find the owners' manual or look up
the model on the Sears web site to find out which/how if can't figure it
out by simply getting on knees w/ flashlight (which shouldn't be _too_
difficult assuming no physical limitations preclude same)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 1:15*pm, mm wrote:
A friend with a 2 year old big Sears refrigerator/freezer, freezer
drawer on the bottom, has a small amount of water on the ceramic tile
floor.

Is there a pool of ice collecting at the bottom of the freezer
compartment? That's what I got with a clogged defrost line.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:17:37 -0600, dpb wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I told him that would be the other possibility, and I told him about
turning off the fridge for a day -- that's what he should do, right?

....but then we got distracted by the other issue. If it's frost, he
shouldn't be trying to pull out the fridge either.

There's a screw mechanism for lowering the casters or raising the
leveling legs one (or both).

He was loosening a silver hex-head screw/bolt that I think held on the
bracket that held on the leg. There were two matching side by side.
That's not the mechanism you mean, is it? Or maybe it is?

It was on the right, and there were 1 or 2 others on the left. OTOH,
those were the only screws I saw. Maybe he was right.

Either find the owners' manual or look up
the model on the Sears web site to find out which/how if can't figure it
out by simply getting on knees w/ flashlight (which shouldn't be _too_
difficult assuming no physical limitations preclude same)...

He's healthier than I am.

Thanks.

schmidtd, no ice on the bottom of the freezer, or the bottom inside of
the whole thing under the removeable freezer box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

the whole thing under the removeable freezer box.- Hide quoted text -

Remove the plastic plate in the bottom of the freezer. If you find a
big sheet of ice that includes the aluminum drain catch at the back of
the freezer you have found your problem. Bunch of fridges have a
design flaw that lets ice build up until the hole in the center of
that rear drain is clogged. Defrost it. Then search for the "kit"
that fixes it. I just used a hunk of 8 gauge bare copper wire wrapped
around the defrost heater and stuck a little ways down the drain
tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

In some models, there is a drain tube that leads to a shallow pan. A
minimal amount of water comes out occasionally, flows into the pan, and
because of the shallow nature of the pan, it just evaporates there being
close to a fan with air flow. Sometimes the unit is jostled, and the tube
comes out of the pan, and the water goes on the floor. You may be able to
see this from the front if you take off the cover grate and shine in there
with a flashlight.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 5:22*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

[...]

I had this problem on my sears frig. There is a small plastic pan in
the bottom. It catches
condensate. The discharge line from the compressor runs through the
side of the pan.
When the compressor turn off and on, it puts a strain on the side of
the pan and it cracks
This lets the water to leak out, and on to the floor. The only way to
check for this is to
pull it out and remove the back. Sears service wants $200.00 to
change it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" wrote in message

I had this problem on my sears frig. There is a small plastic pan in the
bottom. It catches condensate. The discharge line from the compressor runs
through the side of the pan. When the compressor turn off and on, it puts a
strain on the side of the pan and it cracks This lets the water to leak out,
and on to the floor. The only way to check for this is to pull it out and
remove the back. Sears service wants $200.00 to change it.

Sounds like defective design. I would yank the back and take pictures of
it, particularly if I could demonstrate the defect convicingly. Then I
would mail the photos off to some senior Sears VP related to refrigerators
whose name you can easily find via Google. I'd probably send copies to
"Seven on Your Side" but only if you really could demonstrate the defect
clearly.

This isn't rocket science. Evaporator pans have a long tradition of being
pretty simple and robust.

In the meantime I'd slide a shallow lunchroom tray under the fridge, below
the end of the drain pipe, even if I had to slip an oversize section of
vinyl tubing to the end of the drain tube to lengthen it to reach.

I'm seeing more and more crap design work that looks good but doesn't last.
This sounds like yet another one. Every one of the 100 LED flashlights I
buy has to have a hole drilled through the case and into the switch assembly
because the assembly is held in place by a small dab of glue. One sharp rap
and it works loose.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Every one of the 100 LED flashlights I
buy has to have a hole drilled through the case and into the switch assembly
because the assembly is held in place by a small dab of glue. One sharp rap
and it works loose.

How much did you pay for them? A friend of mine has an LED flashlight
collection, maybe about 20 or more, and I think the *least* expensive
was $200. They all seem to work reliably, for some odd reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look at the bottoms of the inner compartments. Look for water inside
the fridge and freezer. Let us know what you find.

Also, open the lower compartment, remove the decorative grille (pulls
out gently). Lay on the floor, look in with a flash light, and let us
know what you see.

Water on the floor comes from one of many different reasons, you'll
need to do some investigating.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus