Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Refrigerator leaves water on the floor

"steve" wrote in message

I had this problem on my sears frig. There is a small plastic pan in the
bottom. It catches condensate. The discharge line from the compressor runs
through the side of the pan. When the compressor turn off and on, it puts a
strain on the side of the pan and it cracks This lets the water to leak out,
and on to the floor. The only way to check for this is to pull it out and
remove the back. Sears service wants $200.00 to change it.

Sounds like defective design. I would yank the back and take pictures of
it, particularly if I could demonstrate the defect convicingly. Then I
would mail the photos off to some senior Sears VP related to refrigerators
whose name you can easily find via Google. I'd probably send copies to
"Seven on Your Side" but only if you really could demonstrate the defect
clearly.

This isn't rocket science. Evaporator pans have a long tradition of being
pretty simple and robust.

In the meantime I'd slide a shallow lunchroom tray under the fridge, below
the end of the drain pipe, even if I had to slip an oversize section of
vinyl tubing to the end of the drain tube to lengthen it to reach.

I'm seeing more and more crap design work that looks good but doesn't last.
This sounds like yet another one. Every one of the 100 LED flashlights I
buy has to have a hole drilled through the case and into the switch assembly
because the assembly is held in place by a small dab of glue. One sharp rap
and it works loose.

--
Bobby G.