Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator leaves water on the floor

On Nov 15, 2:13*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:17:37 -0600, dpb wrote:
mm wrote:
A friend with a 2 year old big Sears refrigerator/freezer, freezer
drawer on the bottom, has a small amount of water on the ceramic tile
floor.

I said he should turn the water off to the ice maker and see if the
water stops. *It has a saddle-valve easily reachable in the basement..
I said to tighten it "firmly" but not too tight. Now I think firmly
could be heard as firmer than it should be. *A better word?

*He* wants to pull the fridge away from the wall to look. *It has
wheels, but they don't touch the floor and he thinks you have to tip
it back to get the wheels to lower down. *Could that be true?

In addition, the fridge is only 3 inches from the wall and he can't
tip it enough.

Plus it's in the corner, with little extra width, no place to grab on,
and no one can pull it out! * *Maybe ropes attached to the two front
legs, that will pull and lift a bit too?

Suggestions?

Thank you.

More than likely the water is from plugged defrost line or overflow of
catch pan.

I told him that would be the other possibility, and I told him about
turning off the fridge for a day -- that's what he should do, right?

...but then we got distracted by the other issue. * If it's frost, he
shouldn't be trying to pull out the fridge either.

There's a screw mechanism for lowering the casters or raising the
leveling legs one (or both).

He was loosening a silver hex-head screw/bolt that I think held on the
bracket that held on the leg. *There were two matching side by side.
That's not the mechanism you mean, is it? Or maybe it is?

*It was on the right, and there were 1 or 2 others on the left. *OTOH,
those were the only screws I saw. * Maybe he was right.

*Either find the owners' manual or look up
the model on the Sears web site to find out which/how if can't figure it
out by simply getting on knees w/ flashlight (which shouldn't be _too_
difficult assuming no physical limitations preclude same)...

He's healthier than I am. *

Thanks.

schmidtd, no ice on the bottom of the freezer, or the bottom inside of
the whole thing under the removeable freezer box.- Hide quoted text -

Remove the plastic plate in the bottom of the freezer. If you find a
big sheet of ice that includes the aluminum drain catch at the back of
the freezer you have found your problem. Bunch of fridges have a
design flaw that lets ice build up until the hole in the center of
that rear drain is clogged. Defrost it. Then search for the "kit"
that fixes it. I just used a hunk of 8 gauge bare copper wire wrapped
around the defrost heater and stuck a little ways down the drain
tube.