Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kerosene, Fuel Oil and Diesel

We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

Kerosene is a more refined product. The others may work, but would probably
cause more soot and other byproducts

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

K-1 is the only kerosene made for heaters. Never range oil which is
another kerosene, never fuel oil or diesel. All will clog your wick and
soot up your wick, combustion chamber and everything else.
Most places sell K-1 including the fuel oil company. Tha stuff in the
store for $10 a gallon is just K-1. It is over $3.00 a gallon.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2010 6:32 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

No. Trust me I know firsthand. Luckily it was in my old unfinished
garage and not in the house. It smoked a _lot_, then the wick got so
dirty it was impossible to clean. That heater was old and I ended up
junking it instead of cleaning it.

And yes, I don't understand the kerosene prices at Lows, I've seen it as
high as $20/gallon. Maybe it's special stuff to use with paint, I don't
know?
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

K-1 is the only kerosene made for heaters. Never range oil which is
another kerosene, never fuel oil or diesel. All will clog your wick and
soot up your wick, combustion chamber and everything else.
Most places sell K-1 including the fuel oil company. Tha stuff in the
store for $10 a gallon is just K-1. It is over $3.00 a gallon.

This is true to the wick type kerosene heaters. The "torpedo" style
heaters normally recommend K-1 for the cleanest and least smelly
operation, but will also run on #2/diesel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 9:15*am, "Pete C." wrote:
LSMFT wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

operation, but will also run on #2/diesel.- Hide quoted text -

Stinks when you put diesel in them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

Both #2 diesel and #2 fuel oil are higher viscosity than kerosene. #1 fuel
oil and #1 diesel are roughly the same as kerosene but none of the diesel
or fuel oils are as pure as kersosene. The fuel oils and diesel have a
very strong odor compared to kerosene and will not burn as cleanly in a
heater designed for kerosene. With the #2 varieties there is increased risk
of incomplete combustion and carbon monoxide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2010 5:32 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

Diesel will run in a kero heater but if it is a siphon feed, it won't be
a good clean burn. If it's a bigger heater with a positive displacement
pump and injector, it'll work on diesel fine. Use the ultralo sulpher
stuff and you'll probably not see the difference from the kero. Also,
you can get Kero a LOT cheaper than $10 from the local bulk fuel
supplier. Find out who your local farms are getting it from.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 9:40*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony Miklos, Gregevans wrote:
I got a torpedo heater said it will take kerosene or #1 fuel oil can I run #1
diesel in it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...el-604213-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-6, Gregevans wrote:
replying to Tony Miklos, Gregevans wrote:
I got a torpedo heater said it will take kerosene or #1 fuel oil can I run #1
diesel in it
--

Unfortunately, 7 years ago, Tony tried rocket fuel in in his heater. His body was found on the other side of town and there was left a large hole in the roof of his home. He is survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 16 children, a herd of moose, a flock of geese, 12 cats, 8 dogs, 3 monkeys and 435 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. It was a preventable tragedy. So sad. (~_~)

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-6, Gregevans wrote:
replying to Tony Miklos, Gregevans wrote:
I got a torpedo heater said it will take kerosene or #1 fuel oil can I run #1
diesel in it
--

Unfortunately, 7 years ago, Tony tried rocket fuel in in his heater. His
body was found on the other side of town and there was left a large hole
in the roof of his home. He is survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 16
children, a herd of moose, a flock of geese, 12 cats, 8 dogs, 3 monkeys
and 435 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. It was a preventable tragedy. So sad. (~_~)

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster

Stick with jet fuel.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:19:48 -0000 (UTC)
gregz wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-6, Gregevans wrote:
replying to Tony Miklos, Gregevans wrote:
I got a torpedo heater said it will take kerosene or #1 fuel oil
can I run #1 diesel in it
--

Unfortunately, 7 years ago, Tony tried rocket fuel in in his
heater. His body was found on the other side of town and there was
left a large hole in the roof of his home. He is survived by a
wife, 3 ex-wives, 16 children, a herd of moose, a flock of geese,
12 cats, 8 dogs, 3 monkeys and 435 gerbils. The gerbils really miss
him. It was a preventable tragedy. So sad. (~_~)

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster

Stick with jet fuel.

Greg

JP 8 works fine.

diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 24th 19 01:46 AM
diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? lp13-30 Home Repair 20 December 23rd 17 05:52 AM
kerosene/red diesel in Stirling Scotland gazz UK diy 10 August 14th 09 07:12 PM
Diesel Fuel nick hull Metalworking 6 August 24th 08 08:35 AM
Diesel Fuel Gerald Miller Metalworking 1 August 22nd 08 01:04 PM