Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Kerosene, Fuel Oil and Diesel

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:
We bought a kerosene heater recently. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell
kerosene for about $10 per gallon but I think I can get it cheaper at
one of the local gas stations.

I was wondering if I could use fuel oil in a kerosene heater, seeing
that I have a couple hundred gallons in the tank behind the house. How
about diesel? I googled the three and got various opinions so I
thought I'd ask here where people have real experience with such
things.

Paul

Both #2 diesel and #2 fuel oil are higher viscosity than kerosene. #1 fuel
oil and #1 diesel are roughly the same as kerosene but none of the diesel
or fuel oils are as pure as kersosene. The fuel oils and diesel have a
very strong odor compared to kerosene and will not burn as cleanly in a
heater designed for kerosene. With the #2 varieties there is increased risk
of incomplete combustion and carbon monoxide.