Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rendered fat 'S' cookies

Mention of rendering lard in another thread reminded me that I've been
searching on and off for years for a recipe for a cookie that uses
rendered fat from ??a sheep?, lamb? goat? ?????.

I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of
eastern European heritage. They were 'S' shaped, melt in your
mouth morsels. She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from
rendered fat.

Ring any bells?

This time my Google searches turned up the term 'Esse di Raveo' for an
S-shaped biscuit- but I can't find a recipe.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 9:09*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mention of rendering lard in another thread reminded me that I've been
searching on and off for years for a recipe for a cookie that uses
rendered fat from ??a sheep?, lamb? goat? *?????.

I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of
eastern European heritage. * * They were 'S' shaped, melt in your
mouth morsels. * She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from
rendered fat.

Ring any bells?

Yeah, the bells on the cardiac monitor.

I'm sure they taste great. That's how you know God isn't a woman - a
woman would NEVER have made fat taste so good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:09*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mention of rendering lard in another thread reminded me that I've been
searching on and off for years for a recipe for a cookie that uses
rendered fat from ??a sheep?, lamb? goat? *?????.

I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of
eastern European heritage. * * They were 'S' shaped, melt in your
mouth morsels. * She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from
rendered fat.

Ring any bells?

This time my Google searches turned up the term 'Esse di Raveo' for an
S-shaped biscuit- but I can't find a recipe.

Jim

Take a cup of Kerrygold Pure Irish butter (not just any old butter) at
room temperature and whisk it with a cup of powder (not granular)
sugar until it is white in color at which time add flour until it is
just barely hard enough to form. First form sticks and them form the
sticks into an S shape. Place on baking tray and bake at 325
fahrenheit until they are a light yellow in color. Do not rush it.
Remove from oven, wait to cool and serve. You can find the butter at
Vons or Pavilions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:

[...]

Y'know- that *could* be it. Talk about serendipitous accidents.g
It could have been the butter she couldn't find- not the fat.

No Vons or Pavillions in my neck of the woods-- I see it is also at
Trader Joes and Costco but they are also several hours away. I do
have a Sam's and a Shoprite nearby- I'll try them.

Where it is supposed to be for anyone who might wonder-
http://www.kerrygold.com/usa/locator.php

Do you use salted or unsalted?

Thanks- Even if it isn't the cookie- I'm looking forward to trying
Kellygold.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:

[...]

Fat, salt, sugar aren't those the three basic food groups here in
America?
Oh yeah, and ketchup makes it four, gotta have our veggies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 5:08*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Unsalted, unless you want to add a whole lot more sugar for nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:09*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mention of rendering lard in another thread reminded me that I've been
searching on and off for years for a recipe for a cookie that uses
rendered fat from ??a sheep?, lamb? goat? *?????.

I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of
eastern European heritage. * * They were 'S' shaped, melt in your
mouth morsels. * She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from
rendered fat.

Ring any bells?

This time my Google searches turned up the term 'Esse di Raveo' for an
S-shaped biscuit- but I can't find a recipe.

Jim

You might also try putting in a little mahlab in it for flavor. Here
is a link to it:

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/mahlab.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 9:09*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mention of rendering lard in another thread reminded me that I've been
searching on and off for years for a recipe for a cookie that uses
rendered fat from ??a sheep?, lamb? goat? *?????.

I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of
eastern European heritage. * * They were 'S' shaped, melt in your
mouth morsels. * She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from
rendered fat.

Ring any bells?

This time my Google searches turned up the term 'Esse di Raveo' for an
S-shaped biscuit- but I can't find a recipe.

Jim

You should go to Martha Stewart dot com with this.
Keep eaing lard and your souls shall be mine.

Patecumseh

Posted to alt.home.repair

I posted the original to the wrong newsgroup- but felt it only fair to
tell Molly I tried her recipe.

[so it took me a month to get a round toit-- it was worth the wait]

Molly Brown wrote:

On Nov 13, 6:09*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of
eastern European heritage. * * They were 'S' shaped, melt in your
mouth morsels. * She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from
rendered fat.

-snip-

Take a cup of Kerrygold Pure Irish butter (not just any old butter) at
room temperature and whisk it with a cup of powder (not granular)
sugar until it is white in color at which time add flour until it is
just barely hard enough to form. First form sticks and them form the
sticks into an S shape. Place on baking tray and bake at 325
fahrenheit until they are a light yellow in color. Do not rush it.
Remove from oven, wait to cool and serve. You can find the butter at
Vons or Pavilions.

I found the Kerrygold in the cheese display at Samsclub. These
were super nice butter cookies- but not the flavor I remember.
[someone mentioned goose fat & I'm going to start looking for it-- I
might just do the same cookie with other fats]

I don't know how much my interpretation resembled yours- I only ended
up using 1 1/2 cups of flour. Made ropes about 3/4" in diameter, and
cut them about 4" long. Only made 22 cookies-- but I think I'll
only eat 1/2 a cookie at a time because I'm really trying to eat
healthy.

Took 23minutes to brown them up.

Thank you-- We will be making them again.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 7:43 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I posted the original to the wrong newsgroup- but felt it only fair to
tell Molly I tried her recipe.

[so it took me a month to get a round toit-- it was worth the wait]

Molly wrote:

On Nov 13, 6:09 pm, Jim wrote:

-snip-
[...]

You could make a deal with a local plastic surgeon to get some
alternative fat. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 12/7/2010 7:43 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

I found the Kerrygold in the cheese display at Samsclub. These
were super nice butter cookies- but not the flavor I remember.
[someone mentioned goose fat& I'm going to start looking for it-- I
might just do the same cookie with other fats]

-snip-

You could make a deal with a local plastic surgeon to get some
alternative fat. :-)

Oh man-- I'm not sure if that is the germ of a sci-fi movie or a
business opportunity.

I know we can't eat human flesh--- but fat isn't flesh, is it?

You're evil-

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 5:58 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring wrote:

On 12/7/2010 7:43 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

I found the Kerrygold in the cheese display at Samsclub. These
were super nice butter cookies- but not the flavor I remember.
[someone mentioned goose fat& I'm going to start looking for it-- I
might just do the same cookie with other fats]

-snip-

You could make a deal with a local plastic surgeon to get some
alternative fat. :-)

Oh man-- I'm not sure if that is the germ of a sci-fi movie or a
business opportunity.

I know we can't eat human flesh--- but fat isn't flesh, is it?

You're evil-

Jim

Well, it would probably be easily digestible because of its
source and be completely compatible for the same reason. No
assimilation problems there, load it with vitamins. :-)

TDD