Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 20-amp ktichen circuit, 15-amp GFI okay?

I am adding two 20-amp circuits to provide a total of 6 above-the-countertop
receptacles. I will be wiring them so that every other receptacle is on a
different circuit -- so two sets of 3 receptacles per circuit. And, the
first receptacle for each circuit will be a GFI with the remaining two
receptacles on each circuit being covered by the GFI at the beginning of
that circuit.

My question is, can the two GFI's be 15-amp rated GFI receptacles, or do
they have to be 20-amp rated GFI's?

I am thinking that the GFI's and the remaining receptacles can all be 15-amp
rated receptacles, but I wanted to check here in case I am wrong about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 3:49*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
I am adding two 20-amp circuits to provide a total of 6 above-the-countertop
receptacles. *I will be wiring them so that every other receptacle is on a
different circuit -- so two sets of 3 receptacles per circuit. *And, the
first receptacle for each circuit will be a GFI with the remaining two
receptacles on each circuit being covered by the GFI at the beginning of
that circuit.

My question is, can the two GFI's be 15-amp rated GFI receptacles, or do
they have to be 20-amp rated GFI's?

I am thinking that the GFI's and the remaining receptacles can all be 15-amp
rated receptacles, but I wanted to check here in case I am wrong about that.

Two 20 amp circuits is over kill iif you only have enough counter
space for 6 outlets mho. But you are correct, you can place multiple
15 amp receps on a 20 amp circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RogerT" wrote in message
I am adding two 20-amp circuits to provide a total of 6
above-the-countertop receptacles. I will be wiring them so that every
other receptacle is on a different circuit -- so two sets of 3 receptacles
per circuit. And, the first receptacle for each circuit will be a GFI with
the remaining two receptacles on each circuit being covered by the GFI at
the beginning of that circuit.

My question is, can the two GFI's be 15-amp rated GFI receptacles, or do
they have to be 20-amp rated GFI's?

I am thinking that the GFI's and the remaining receptacles can all be
15-amp rated receptacles, but I wanted to check here in case I am wrong
about that.

You are correct, the pass through is rated for 20 amps

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 3:49 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

A minimum of 2 -20 amp circuits is required by the Nec for kitchen counter
outlets

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 10, 3:49 pm, "RogerT" wrote:

[...]

yes, so it's not really overkill now is it.

I believe that many "15A" GFCIs are actually rated at 20A for the GFCI
portion if you read the label, so that would be OK, but read the
label.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2010 2:49 PM, RogerT wrote:
I am adding two 20-amp circuits to provide a total of 6 above-the-countertop
receptacles. I will be wiring them so that every other receptacle is on a
different circuit -- so two sets of 3 receptacles per circuit. And, the
first receptacle for each circuit will be a GFI with the remaining two
receptacles on each circuit being covered by the GFI at the beginning of
that circuit.

My question is, can the two GFI's be 15-amp rated GFI receptacles, or do
they have to be 20-amp rated GFI's?

I am thinking that the GFI's and the remaining receptacles can all be 15-amp
rated receptacles, but I wanted to check here in case I am wrong about that.

Personally, I would install 20 amp rated because I own electrical
plug-in appliances that draw a lot of current like electric grills
and large toaster ovens.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-10, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Personally, I would install 20 amp rated because I own electrical
plug-in appliances that draw a lot of current like electric grills
and large toaster ovens.

The only difference between a 15 amp receptacle and a 20 amp
receptacle of a given grade(*) is the face plate, the 20 amp
receptacle has the extra slot to accept 20 amp plugs. The innards are
the same and are rated for 20 amps pass through.

Cheers, Wayne

(*) 20 amp receptacles may not be available in the cheapest grades,
but I only use the better grades that provide back pressure-plate
connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-10, The Daring wrote:

Personally, I would install 20 amp rated because I own electrical
plug-in appliances that draw a lot of current like electric grills
and large toaster ovens.

The only difference between a 15 amp receptacle and a 20 amp
receptacle of a given grade(*) is the face plate, the 20 amp
receptacle has the extra slot to accept 20 amp plugs. The innards are
the same and are rated for 20 amps pass through.

Cheers, Wayne

(*) 20 amp receptacles may not be available in the cheapest grades,
but I only use the better grades that provide back pressure-plate
connections.

I certainly wouldn't use 59 cent receptacles. I will often install a
20 amp plug on something that I don't want anyone plugging to a 15 amp
receptacle. One of the problems I often come across in commercial
settings is a receptacle burning up. An industrial or commercial grade
20 amp receptacle solves the problem. If I have a situation where items
are being plugged in and unplugged a lot, I install a hospital grade
receptacle.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2010 4:20 PM, RBM wrote:
snip

Two 20 amp circuits is over kill iif you only have enough counter
space for 6 outlets mho. But you are correct, you can place multiple
15 amp receps on a 20 amp circuit.

A minimum of 2 -20 amp circuits is required by the Nec for kitchen counter
outlets

I'm about to wire up my kitchen counter. What I'd like is two pairs
of two duplex outlets. That would be a total of 8 outlets in two groups.

Should I:

A) split wire all the duplex outlets.

B) wire each duplex in the same box to a different circuit/phase.

C) wire each double duplex all to the same circuit.

It's an L counter and these outlets will be in each side of the
corner. I'll have the MW, toaster oven and coffee maker plugged in, who
knows what else. Outlets will be in the wall, a few inches over the
backsplash.

Stove on the left, sink to the right, and a duplex outlet on each end
of the L.

Does the fridge need to be on a separate circuit?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 11/10/2010 4:20 PM, RBM wrote:
snip

[...]

The Nec doesn't require the refrigerator to be on a dedicated circuit, but
some refrigerator manufacturers do , so I routinely use a dedicated
circuit for fridges. I prefer to wire counter outlets with large boxes and
3 wire cables between all of them. This way I have both circuits at every
outlet, not knowing what may be plugged in and where, it gives me the
flexibility to adjust the two circuits

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, it is not. 15/20 Amp breakers are NOT guaranteed to have 20 amp
capability in a 15 amp component. Internal wire gages & all connections are
usually NOT capable of 20 amps because it's cheaper to make them for 15
amps. Every penny saved is important on a manufacturing line.

In ,
The Daring Dufas typed:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-11, Twayne wrote:

No, it is not. 15/20 Amp breakers are NOT guaranteed to have 20 amp
capability in a 15 amp component. Internal wire gages & all
connections are usually NOT capable of 20 amps because it's cheaper
to make them for 15 amps. Every penny saved is important on a
manufacturing line.

15 amp receptacles are required by UL to handle 20 amps feed through.
The UL directory information for RTRT (receptacles) does not make that
100% clear, but UL has provided further detail. See, for example,
their response included in this thread (third to last post):

http://forums.mikeholt.com/archive/i...p/t-61043.html

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-11, Twayne wrote:

No, it is not. 15/20 Amp breakers are NOT guaranteed to have 20 amp
capability in a 15 amp component. Internal wire gages & all
connections are usually NOT capable of 20 amps because it's cheaper
to make them for 15 amps. Every penny saved is important on a
manufacturing line.

15 amp receptacles are required by UL to handle 20 amps feed through.
The UL directory information for RTRT (receptacles) does not make that
100% clear, but UL has provided further detail. See, for example,
their response included in this thread (third to last post):

http://forums.mikeholt.com/archive/i...p/t-61043.html

Cheers, Wayne

Also, if 15 amp receptacles didn't have 20 amp pass through, the Nec
wouldn't allow them on 20 amp branch circuits