Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default 20-amp ktichen circuit, 15-amp GFI okay?

No, it is not. 15/20 Amp breakers are NOT guaranteed to have 20 amp
capability in a 15 amp component. Internal wire gages & all connections are
usually NOT capable of 20 amps because it's cheaper to make them for 15
amps. Every penny saved is important on a manufacturing line.

In ,
The Daring Dufas typed:
On 2010-11-10, The Daring
wrote:
Personally, I would install 20 amp rated because I own
electrical plug-in appliances that draw a lot of current
like electric grills and large toaster ovens.

The only difference between a 15 amp receptacle and a 20
amp receptacle of a given grade(*) is the face plate, the
20 amp receptacle has the extra slot to accept 20 amp
plugs. The innards are the same and are rated for 20 amps
pass through. Cheers, Wayne

(*) 20 amp receptacles may not be available in the
cheapest grades, but I only use the better grades that
provide back pressure-plate connections.

I certainly wouldn't use 59 cent receptacles. I will often
install a 20 amp plug on something that I don't want anyone
plugging to a 15 amp receptacle. One of the problems I
often come across in commercial settings is a receptacle
burning up. An industrial or commercial grade 20 amp
receptacle solves the problem. If I have a situation where
items are being plugged in and unplugged a lot, I install a
hospital grade receptacle.
TDD