Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint/primer combined

You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)? I
have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. It's
probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles
and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two
coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. Maybe I'm
being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff
straight on drywall. If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a
few years, I will never live it down. That's why I'm looking for
thoughts/experiences from this group.

TIA
Cub
Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote in :

You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)? I
have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. It's
probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles
and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two
coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. Maybe I'm
being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff
straight on drywall. If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a
few years, I will never live it down. That's why I'm looking for
thoughts/experiences from this group.

TIA
Cub

I'm very skeptical on that stuff too. And that's putting it over already
painted surface! I just finished repainting a couple of rooms. I figure
I'm gonna put two coats on for true color and coverage anyway so why
spend extra bucks.

On new drywall, I wouldn't trust it unless it got rave reviews from real
bonified users. Anyway, you can usually tint drywall primer. Have it
tinted 1/2-3/4 of the final color. Not sure if Borg can handle that but
a paint store can easily.

I had to do a very large kitchen/dining room once with very high
cathedral ceiling walls multiple coats. I used one of these and it was
kick-ass. It was called Roll-Fast then I think. No up & down ladders
except to move them.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...09017,747.html

Also used it to do ALL the popcorn ceilings in a house. Kick-ass again.

Not good just to do a normal room IMO. You do have to flush it out via a
garden hose connection. Keep that in mind if you're in a cold area when
you do it. The roller covers for it run $5-10. As far as stopping
overnight or between coats, I basically wrapped the roller cover with
plastic wrap and left everything in tact paint can and all.

Here's a pretty good summary from someone:

Overall Rating:
3 out of 5
3 out of 5
Better for medium/large jobs,
October 12, 2010
By JerryY
from Dallas, TX

"I bought this unit to paint the interior of my house (2600 sqft w/ 10'
ceilings) and it is a bit of a one trick pony.

Basically you put your 1
gallon paint bucket into the strap and attach a lid with a hole for a
plastic tube which goes down into the paint. When the button is pressed
on the handle of the roller it will pump the paint from the can through
all the hose to the roller. I recommend slowly rolling the wall at a
slight angle while the roller loads up with paint so the roller is
coated evenly. Like I said in my title this is best for big jobs and
here's why. As I mentioned in the operation it requires a 1 gallon can
and quite a bit of paint is going to be in the hose. So unless you plan
to use at least a gallon you're going to flush a ton of paint out of
this unit when you clean it. Plus you have to clean it between colors
which means if you have a lot of colors you are painting you need to
plan accordingly or spend a lot of time cleaning and wasting paint. Also
this requires special rollers (they have holes to allow the paint to
soak into the roller from the inside out) which are pricier than a
standard roller. Clean-up is a messy process too. you have to clean the
paint from the tube, the tubing, the roller handle, etc. The ability to
run water from the hose through this unit is handy but if you don't have
some way to collect the paint you'll be coloring the grass or concrete.
My rule of thumb is I only use this roller if I'm using at least a
gallon of paint and only have to clean up once. Otherwise, I get the
normal trays and rollers out and use those. Don't get me wrong, this
isn't a bad product but it will cost you more time and $$$ than it saves
in cases where you have multiple colors and/or small areas to paint."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 11:06*am, cubby wrote:
You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)? *I
have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. *It's
probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles
and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two
coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. *Maybe I'm
being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff
straight on drywall. *If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a
few years, I will never live it down. *That's why I'm looking for
thoughts/experiences from this group.

TIA
Cub

I dont think one coat of anything is possible to get a good finish on
compound and drywall, if it works im amazed. For exterior I would not
use it, not will I use a latex primer outside, the point of primer
outside is to penetrate and bond, latex cant penetrate as deep as oil,
its the size of the molecules in latex they are bigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2010 10:38 AM Red Green spake thus:

On new drywall, I wouldn't trust it unless it got rave reviews from real
bonified users. Anyway, you can usually tint drywall primer. Have it
tinted 1/2-3/4 of the final color. Not sure if Borg can handle that but
a paint store can easily.

Home Despot can and will tint primer. I've had it done there, as well as
elsewhere. All you need to do is choose any paint chip from their
selection and hand it to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 12:06*pm, cubby wrote:
You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)? *I
have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. *It's
probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles
and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two
coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. *Maybe I'm
being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff
straight on drywall. *If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a
few years, I will never live it down. *That's why I'm looking for
thoughts/experiences from this group.

Would I trust the paint/primer? Sure. Would I spend the money for
it? Highly doubtful. Drywall sucks up paint, and primer is a cheap
way to seal the drywall. It makes little sense to use expensive paint
as sealer since you'll still have to do two coats of finish.

It won't peel, you'll just be throwing money away. On top of
previously painted walls it makes more sense to use the paint/primer
stuff, but in that situation most of the time you don't need any
primer at all anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cd9bbb1$0$2535
:

On 11/9/2010 10:38 AM Red Green spake thus:

On new drywall, I wouldn't trust it unless it got rave reviews from real
bonified users. Anyway, you can usually tint drywall primer. Have it
tinted 1/2-3/4 of the final color. Not sure if Borg can handle that but
a paint store can easily.

Home Despot can and will tint primer. I've had it done there, as well as
elsewhere. All you need to do is choose any paint chip from their
selection and hand it to them.

That tinted primer is a great thing. It acts like an additional coat of
paint, so it's easier covering up old paint when going from a dark to a
light (or vice versa).

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in news:029b09b9-3047-4bfb-
:

On Nov 9, 12:06*pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

A gallon is a gallon. If they put something in they must take something
out. I'll stick with a gallon of regular paint contents like pigment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2010 2:21 PM Tegger spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cd9bbb1$0$2535
:

On 11/9/2010 10:38 AM Red Green spake thus:

On new drywall, I wouldn't trust it unless it got rave reviews from real
bonified users. Anyway, you can usually tint drywall primer. Have it
tinted 1/2-3/4 of the final color. Not sure if Borg can handle that but
a paint store can easily.

Home Despot can and will tint primer. I've had it done there, as well as
elsewhere. All you need to do is choose any paint chip from their
selection and hand it to them.

That tinted primer is a great thing. It acts like an additional coat of
paint, so it's easier covering up old paint when going from a dark to a
light (or vice versa).

Yep, absolutely. As a handyman who doesn't know what color paint I'll be
asked to paint or paint over, I keep both untinted white primer and a
medium gray primer which works well over and under most colors.

Forgot to mention that no stores I've been in charge for tinting primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...spray,309017,7...

[...]

thanks for the tip - I have one of these already, but don't tend to
use it unless it's a job I can do in one go (rather than a couple of
hours here and there) because of the cleaning. I will try to do this
one in one very long day...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 6:10*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Thanks for everyone's advice. I conclude -

Don't use the primer/paint stuff
Do use proper primer but get it tinted (I hope they can do that for
the 5 gallon drums)

thanks again everyone.

Cub

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2010 4:49 PM cubby spake thus:

Thanks for everyone's advice. I conclude -

Don't use the primer/paint stuff
Do use proper primer but get it tinted (I hope they can do that for
the 5 gallon drums)

Interesting point. I've never bought 5 gallons of paint, but I ass-u-me
it comes in custom colors, so they must be able to tint it, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:06:00 -0800 (PST), cubby
wrote:

You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)? I
have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. It's
probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles
and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two
coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. Maybe I'm
being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff
straight on drywall. If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a
few years, I will never live it down. That's why I'm looking for
thoughts/experiences from this group.

TIA
Cub

The new "self priming" third generation latex paint actually does a
pretty good job. I've used CIL and Benjamin Moore
Count on 2 coats, particularly on fresh drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 5:21*pm, Tegger wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cd9bbb1$0$2535
:

On 11/9/2010 10:38 AM Red Green spake thus:

On new drywall, I wouldn't trust it unless it got rave reviews from real
bonified users. Anyway, you can usually tint drywall primer. Have it
tinted 1/2-3/4 of the final color. Not sure if Borg can handle that but
a paint store can easily.

Home Despot can and will tint primer. I've had it done there, as well as
elsewhere. All you need to do is choose any paint chip from their
selection and hand it to them.

That tinted primer is a great thing. It acts like an additional coat of
paint, so it's easier covering up old paint when going from a dark to a
light (or vice versa).

It acts like a coat of paint...umm, okay. But it's not. Primer
doesn't have all of the expensive stuff in paint - the stuff that
makes it durable and washable with good hiding ability. It kills me
when people skimp on paint cost when it's such a small part of the
overall job. People that tint primer frequently only apply one coat
of paint. That's not nearly the same thing as having two coats of
paint. The buildup thickness is not the same and the paint job will
not wear as well. On some things that might matter, but on other
things it definitely does. If you see someone tint primer when
they're painting new siding, be very afraid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2010 6:03 PM RicodJour spake thus:

On Nov 9, 5:21 pm, Tegger wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:4cd9bbb1$0$2535 :

[...]

I don't know about that.

Point about skimping on paint well taken. However, even if applying
multiple coats, it's still a good idea to tint just to make it easier to
cover a large color difference. After all, why use more paint than
necessary?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 5:21 pm, Tegger wrote:

[...]

Unless someone is using crap paint, two coats of paint will cover just
about anything. I've seen crap paint applied in three coats and you
could still see the taped joints. I've never seen any color change
that wasn't covered with primer and two coats. Since we're talking
about tinting primer, that can only mean omitting the second coat of
paint.

The only reason people tint primer is to get a little bit of an edge.
The edge may be skipping the second coat of paint, or it might be
making the little holidays in the first coat disappear. Either way,
they're tinting to save time or money, and it's usually at the expense
of complete coverage and/or a long-lasting paint job.

When you say "why use more paint than necessary?" it's kind of off
point. Of course you shouldn't use more paint than is necessary, but
what constitutes necessary? Is it how it looks or how it wears? The
limiting factor may be purely a cosmetic issue immediately (right at
the time the last coat dries), but more likely, and preferably, the
limiting factor should be a certain finish thickness which will
determine the longevity of the paint job. In high quality paint the
finish thickness is specified. This becomes particularly important
when the job is sprayed as some paint jockeys thin the paint to extend
it and make it easier to spray fast, so the coverage and buildup take
a hit. Two thinned coats might not provide sufficient buildup. Those
guys have no choice but to tint the primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

[...]

charge for tinting
primer.

Dammit David! STFU. Don't give em any ideas

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote in
:

On Nov 9, 12:38*pm, Red Green wrote:
cubby wrote
innews:a2130a2d-0026-45b3-9466-65f4

:

[...]

..

[...]

Again, I had absolutely no problem covering the roller/head with plastic
food wrap for a night or two. Hell, with latex paint, I've had brushes
covered for days in the frig. Not suggesting putting the power roller in
the frig!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
Don't use the primer/paint stuff
Do use proper primer but get it tinted (I hope they can do that for
the 5 gallon drums)

Interesting point. I've never bought 5 gallons of paint, but I ass-u-me it
comes in custom colors, so they must be able to tint it, right?

Our local paint store does it in 5 gallon pails. We bought about 25 pails
of it last year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 8:03*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 9, 5:21*pm, Tegger wrote:

[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

If you bid or pay for a one coat job then tinting primer can be
necessary to do it one coat paint. Few are willing to pay for a second
coat. you tint primer so you dont screw yourself into unnecessary
work. Thats the way its always been back to 12845 BC when cavemen were
hired to paint caves for the cave king.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
:

On Nov 9, 8:03*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 9, 5:21*pm, Tegger wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:4cd9bbb1$0$2535 :

[...]

Guess it was known as Bear paint back then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2010 12:06 PM, cubby wrote:
You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)?

Hey, anything is possible.

But Behr is noted for it's lack of covering. The painters I know
think it's the worst stuff possible.

If it's your place, buy some good paint. And if you want to make sure
you don't have to put yet another coat on, start with with some Kilz 2
and use something else (Benny Moore, SW, Duron...). Behr is famous for
always looking like it needs another coat.

Otherwise no direct experience with paint and primer combo.

Jeff

have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. It's
probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles
and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two
coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. Maybe I'm
being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff
straight on drywall. If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a
few years, I will never live it down. That's why I'm looking for
thoughts/experiences from this group.

TIA
Cub

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 1:17*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 11/9/2010 12:06 PM, cubby wrote:

You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the
Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)?

* *Hey, anything is possible.

* *But Behr is noted for it's lack of covering. The painters I know
think it's the worst stuff possible.

* *If it's your place, buy some good paint. And if you want to make sure
you don't have to put yet another coat on, start with with some Kilz 2
and use something else (Benny Moore, SW, Duron...). Behr is famous for
always looking like it needs another coat.

* *Otherwise no direct experience with paint and primer combo.

Behr exterior paint is pretty well regarded. http://www.consumersearch.com/exterior-paint
Their interior paint is a bit tougher to nail down. As this report
mentions, the reviews are all over the map.
http://www.consumersearch.com/interi...nterior-paints

I would say that paint follows an inverse wine law. When choosing an
inexpensive wine from a menu, choose the second to cheapest. It will
usually be the best value. In paint, reverse that, pick the second to
most expensive paint in a lower brand name paint line up and you'll
probably get good paint at a reasonable price.

Of course my rule of thumb might be all thumbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Nov 9, 5:21*pm, Tegger wrote:

That tinted primer is a great thing. It acts like an additional coat
of paint, so it's easier covering up old paint when going from a dark
to a light (or vice versa).

It acts like a coat of paint...umm, okay. But it's not. Primer
doesn't have all of the expensive stuff in paint - the stuff that
makes it durable and washable with good hiding ability.

No, but look at it this way: If I (a decided non-pro, like most homeowners)
need to use primer anyway, and I'm going from a light to a dark, I can use
the primer coat to get a little further along in covering up the original
light color than I would if I used untinted primer and two coats of paint.

In other words, I'm still applying three coats in total, but with tinted
primer I can get the color-hiding effects of four coats (one of primer and
three of paint) while still only applying three coats.

In still other words, if primer can be tinted, it's slightly foolish to
turn what could be a double-duty coat into a single-duty coat, when double-
duty has no downside and plenty of upside.

Now if you wanted to use tinted primer to /cheat/, then that's a whole
other ballgame.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 6:21*pm, Tegger wrote:
RicodJour wrote :

On Nov 9, 5:21*pm, Tegger wrote:

[...]

I can't argue with any of that. I really can't argue with whatever
someone wants to do on their own house, either. I just wanted to make
it clear that tinted primer is not a color coat replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

I just wanted to make
it clear that tinted primer is not a color coat replacement.

I wholly agree.

It is not a cheat or a shortcut, but an enhancement to what you would have
done had the primer not been tinted.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

Have used Behr All in one(Eggshell) over new drywall several times mostly in
my own house just to check it out because alot of my drywall cutomers ask
about it when painting it themselves...Works great , goes on good and
covered in 2 coats...HTH...

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with the new laws against oil based
paint , low oder paint and other eco-nonsense , that it doesn't seem to
matter much which brand you buy now..I painted the trim on SWMBO's new
garden shed back in 2007 with Ben Moore's..Used Trouble Shooter Primer and
Exterior Latex Satin..Took my time and did it by the book and it's peeling
already..Helped my dad do some painting with cheap **** from Walmart and
it's doing slightly better...Go figure..Same with the stain...Bought Cabots
for the T-111 on the garden shed and it's peeling as well..My dad used cheap
Walmart stain on his steps and it's doing pretty good..Same inside..He used
the cheap stuff and it looks great....Go figure....

Paint & primer KC Home Repair 7 October 30th 08 11:16 PM
For All You Paint Experts re Paint Primers (when to use a primer) Robert11 Home Repair 4 January 26th 07 05:32 AM
Can I just use primer, with no paint? albee Home Repair 7 November 23rd 06 03:54 PM
Paint roller Nap; primer vs. paint albee Home Repair 2 November 7th 06 05:39 AM
Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)? TC Home Repair 11 March 9th 06 04:47 PM