Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I just use primer, with no paint?

Odd question, I'm sure, but after priming our bathroom walls and
ceiling, including the ceiling inside the shower, we painted the walls
a darker color, but were going to paint the ceiling white. Since the
primer was white, is there a problem with just leaving it as is, or
does the paint provide something that the primer doesn't. I'm guessing
that the latex provides some water resistance, but just guessing.
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

albee wrote:
Odd question, I'm sure, but after priming our bathroom walls and
ceiling, including the ceiling inside the shower, we painted the walls
a darker color, but were going to paint the ceiling white. Since the
primer was white, is there a problem with just leaving it as is, or
does the paint provide something that the primer doesn't. I'm guessing
that the latex provides some water resistance, but just guessing.
Thanks.

I believe you will want to use a paint. That said, the ceiling is one
surface that you might be able to get away with it. Your problem is likely
to be exactly what you point out. Moisture could become a problem. Likely
the primer is not mold resistant, any good bathroom paint should be, and it
is going to be far more permeable that a paint would be.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Primer wont look as good, seal as well, be as mold resistant or be as
cleanable as paint. A bath ceiling is one area a mold resistant washable
paint should be used, there are paints designed for the harsh
environments of baths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"albee" wrote in message
Odd question, I'm sure, but after priming our bathroom walls and
ceiling, including the ceiling inside the shower, we painted the walls
a darker color, but were going to paint the ceiling white. Since the
primer was white, is there a problem with just leaving it as is, or
does the paint provide something that the primer doesn't. I'm guessing
that the latex provides some water resistance, but just guessing.
Thanks.

Don't try to "cheap out" on the biggest investment of your life, your house.
Primer is designed to do just that, prime the surface for real paint. It
does not offer the protection, moisture resistance, etc, that even the
cheapest ceiling paint will have.

You should have painted the ceiling first. Makes it easier to cut in, less
chance of drips getting on the finished walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those "bathroom" paints are great. MUCH less, if any, problem with
mildew, which will show up on a ceiling in a moist bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
albee wrote:
Odd question, I'm sure, but after priming our bathroom walls and
ceiling, including the ceiling inside the shower, we painted the walls
a darker color, but were going to paint the ceiling white. Since the
primer was white, is there a problem with just leaving it as is, or
does the paint provide something that the primer doesn't. I'm guessing
that the latex provides some water resistance, but just guessing.
Thanks.

I believe you will want to use a paint. That said, the ceiling is one
surface that you might be able to get away with it.

Not in a bathroom.

Your problem is likely
to be exactly what you point out. Moisture could become a problem.

You stopped too short: moisture *will* become a problem.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , albee wrote:
Odd question, I'm sure, but after priming our bathroom walls and
ceiling, including the ceiling inside the shower, we painted the walls
a darker color, but were going to paint the ceiling white. Since the
primer was white, is there a problem with just leaving it as is, or
does the paint provide something that the primer doesn't. I'm guessing
that the latex provides some water resistance, but just guessing.

You could get away with that in most rooms, but the two where you shouldn't
even think about trying it are the kitchen and the bathroom. Primer doesn't
have anywhere near the moisture resistance of finish paint, and you WILL have
mildew growing on that primer in a very short time. The best choice for a
bathroom ceiling is a high-quality gloss or semi-gloss OIL-based paint.

And next time, paint the ceiling before you paint the walls -- that way, the
roller spatters from painting the ceiling will get covered up when you do the
walls. :-)

--
Regards,