Al A.

Default Paint & primer question...

Hi all,
i am in the early phases of the process of repainting an old lathe.
I have mostly been stripping paint and cleaning stuff, and am just
beginning to paint some of the small odd stuff.

I have some spray can primers from my local NAPA guy. One is
"Duplicolor" brand, and just describes itself as "pirmer". The other
is NAPA/Martin-Senore brand "Self-etching" primer. Is one better than
the other or are they for different applications or ???? Does it
really matter?

The self etching stuff has a much stronger solvent type smell to it.
They both spray on about the same and seem to adhere well. Any
thoughts/guidance?

Also, I happen to have a few cans of a high heat "CERAMIC" (at least
that is what the label says...) engine paint that I really like the
color of. OK, it's grey, but a really nice grey. It was left over from
some other project. Would this stuff hold up OK as machine paint?

Thanks for your thoughts!

AL
athos76

Go buy some more of the ceramic paint...but get it in semi gloss or
gloss. flat doesnt hold up as well to abuse. Go look for some
sandable primer, or rust stop primer in a similar color to the one you
want for a final coat. Spray the lathe...use tape to cover the
nonpaintable parts, and wait a bit for it to set...the primer doesnt
need to be thick...a couple light coats.. then scuff the lathe and
paint thin coats of the ceramic... the lighter coats and the more of
them the better.... make sure all the paints are enamel...

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Al A." wrote in message
snip----

OK, it's grey, but a really nice grey.
AL

Don't knock gray for painting machine tools. It's the most luxurious color
going. Ever looked at new Hardinge machines?

Harold

Robin S.

Don't knock gray for painting machine tools. It's the most luxurious color
going. Ever looked at new Hardinge machines?

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems the Germans like green...

Regards,

Robin

Al A.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:27:45 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Al A." wrote in message
.. .
snip----

OK, it's grey, but a really nice grey.
AL

Don't knock gray for painting machine tools. It's the most luxurious color
going. Ever looked at new Hardinge machines?

Harold

By no means was I knocking grey paint! This one is Dupli-color New
Ford Grey Ceramic engine enamel. I really like the look of it on my
machines, it has a really nice industrial-utilitarian look that
appeals to me. Somehow, it just seems to be the "right" color for such
things. Not too light, not too dark. All of the stuff I have rebuilt
thus far and most of the stuff I've built are all painted grey, with
the exception of my Keller power hacksaw, which i painted green, as
that was it's original color and was a pretty nice green.

thanks for the reply, Harold.

-AL A.

Al A.

On 23 Jun 2005 21:38:21 -0700, "athos76" wrote:

Go buy some more of the ceramic paint...but get it in semi gloss or
gloss. flat doesnt hold up as well to abuse. Go look for some
sandable primer, or rust stop primer in a similar color to the one you
want for a final coat. Spray the lathe...use tape to cover the
nonpaintable parts, and wait a bit for it to set...the primer doesnt
need to be thick...a couple light coats.. then scuff the lathe and
paint thin coats of the ceramic... the lighter coats and the more of
them the better.... make sure all the paints are enamel...

Thanks. I am using the gloss enamel stuff. So far the few small parts
I have painted look great. Guess I will keep right on going with that.
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!

AL A.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Robin S." wrote in message
. ..

Don't knock gray for painting machine tools. It's the most luxurious

color
going. Ever looked at new Hardinge machines?

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems the Germans like green...

Regards,

Robin

Chuckle!

They may like green, but they paint the Overbeck machines gray. I own a
universal cylindrical grinder with drop down internal attachment, circa
1980, and the only thing green on it is the work light.

I've seen a large number of German woodworking machines, all of which were,
however, painted green.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Al A." wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:27:45 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Al A." wrote in message
.. .
snip----

OK, it's grey, but a really nice grey.
AL

Don't knock gray for painting machine tools. It's the most luxurious

color
going. Ever looked at new Hardinge machines?

Harold

By no means was I knocking grey paint! This one is Dupli-color New
Ford Grey Ceramic engine enamel. I really like the look of it on my
machines, it has a really nice industrial-utilitarian look that
appeals to me. Somehow, it just seems to be the "right" color for such
things. Not too light, not too dark. All of the stuff I have rebuilt
thus far and most of the stuff I've built are all painted grey, with
the exception of my Keller power hacksaw, which i painted green, as
that was it's original color and was a pretty nice green.

I just knew you liked the color, just as I do! My shop is fully
painted, with a very light lime green on the walls, but all the trim, and
the concrete floor are, you guessed it, gray! Sounds like my trim might be
about the shade you described. I died the concrete and couldn't be happier
if I had good sense.

thanks for the reply, Harold.

My pleasure! Always fun to talk with folks that are in tune.

Harold