Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default Paint/primer combined

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Nov 9, 5:21*pm, Tegger wrote:

That tinted primer is a great thing. It acts like an additional coat
of paint, so it's easier covering up old paint when going from a dark
to a light (or vice versa).

It acts like a coat of paint...umm, okay. But it's not. Primer
doesn't have all of the expensive stuff in paint - the stuff that
makes it durable and washable with good hiding ability.

No, but look at it this way: If I (a decided non-pro, like most homeowners)
need to use primer anyway, and I'm going from a light to a dark, I can use
the primer coat to get a little further along in covering up the original
light color than I would if I used untinted primer and two coats of paint.

In other words, I'm still applying three coats in total, but with tinted
primer I can get the color-hiding effects of four coats (one of primer and
three of paint) while still only applying three coats.

In still other words, if primer can be tinted, it's slightly foolish to
turn what could be a double-duty coat into a single-duty coat, when double-
duty has no downside and plenty of upside.

Now if you wanted to use tinted primer to /cheat/, then that's a whole
other ballgame.

--
Tegger