Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Group Police

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

If you want a moderated group, it'll be somewhere else than a.h.r

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2010 12:28 PM, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

Most of usenet is not moderated, get used to it. Your usenet server,
may or may not filter out some of trash.

Sometimes you can track SPAM back and do something about it, but for
everything else OT, get used to it. A few unkind words is about all you got.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 9:28*am, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

Do like I do; if they really irritate you post a link to a
counterpoint as a reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"camryguy" wrote in message
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

New here, huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 2:08*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"camryguy" wrote in message

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was
far less garbage than what i being posted now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

What do you mean by "policing"?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy wrote:
On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"camryguy" wrote in message

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too
many posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was
far less garbage than what i being posted now.

And a year before that, and a year before that.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2010 12:28 PM, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

This is an unmoderated group. If you can't deal with it, join a
moderated group or simply don't read OT posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

On 11/1/2010 12:28 PM, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

This is an unmoderated group. If you can't deal with it, join a
moderated group or simply don't read OT posts.

Much better for the OP to police himself. He will not be disturbed and
the pap will be abundant.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
camryguy wrote:
On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"camryguy" wrote in message

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too
many posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was
far less garbage than what i being posted now.

More people are using Google now. To read/post.

The fact is, usenet posting volume is way down since ISPs stopped offering
usenet servers as part of the service. Signal/Noise is further down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"camryguy" wrote in message
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

I find it easy to not read posts which don't interest me for whatever
reason. "Not looking" shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"camryguy" wrote in message
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

So you think your topic is relevant to home repair? You'd be busted!!

I'm happy to see this group still active. Have you looked around Usenet
lately?

The "neighbor" topics sure bring a lot of responses, always good for a
chuckle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2010 9:33 AM camryguy spake thus:

On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"camryguy" wrote in message

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way
too many posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else
agree?

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was
far less garbage than what i being posted now.

If by "garbage" you mean off-topic posts and not spam[1] (this isn't at
all clear in your complaint), then here's an idea: how about *not
reading* the off-topic posts?

It's not as if they're hard to spot; hell, 95% of them are identified as
"OT:" right there in the subject header.

[1] If it's spam you're bothered by (which is actually relatively light
in this group), then it's Google Groups (aka Big Fat Spam Portal) you
want to take up that complaint with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
camryguy typed:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but
there needs to be some sort of policing going on here.
There is way too many posts about irrelevant topics being
added. Anyone else agree?

Not likely. You want a moderated group, or a forum if you need purity.
Usenet has NO policing except the pressure from peers and that often as not
draws out the trolls. WYSIWYG.

The only thing that helps in any way is to report miscreants to their own
ISPs but parsing newsgroups is a lot different than with e-mail. And don't
even bother to report it to ES; they just plain don't care and say so in the
policies. They go so far as to dislike any complaints about abuse according
to their policies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"camryguy" wrote in message

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way
too many posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else
agree?

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was
far less garbage than what i being posted now.

If by "garbage" you mean off-topic posts and not spam[1] (this isn't at
all clear in your complaint), then here's an idea: how about *not
reading* the off-topic posts?

It's not as if they're hard to spot; hell, 95% of them are identified as
"OT:" right there in the subject header.

[1] If it's spam you're bothered by (which is actually relatively light
in this group), then it's Google Groups (aka Big Fat Spam Portal) you
want to take up that complaint with.

It is annoying to have to sift through all the garbage to find actual
content. Google newsgroups has a 'mark as spam' button beside each
thread, which I'm guessing, if it's pressed enough times, will prevent
that topic from showing up on other people's readers.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:28:21 -0700, camryguy wrote:

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there needs
to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many posts
about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

Skip over / delete what you don't like - sort of policing, without any
peer review :-)

(Personally I don't mind OT messages - but I hate untrimmed replies*
almost as much as I hate top-posters :-)

* and out of all the usenet ng's I regularly read, this one is way worse
for that than any of the others. Never have been able to work out why!

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

Kettle-Pot.

I notice you're posting from Google Groups.

You are either with us or with the terrorists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 9:28*am, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

1. Define 'irrelevant".

2. Some of the most interesting material is marked "OT". That
should be easy for you to avoid.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01 Nov 2010, John wrote in
alt.home.repair:

It is annoying to have to sift through all the garbage to find
actual content. Google newsgroups has a 'mark as spam' button
beside each thread, which I'm guessing, if it's pressed enough
times, will prevent that topic from showing up on other people's
readers.

Unfortunately, it will not. Google totally ignores spam reports. As far
as I can tell, the button is only there to make its users feel like
they have some effect. But in practive, I've never seen Google remove a
single spam, ever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

It doesn't matter if anyone agrees or disagrees. This is an unmoderated
newsgroup. Posters are free to post whatever they like, on or off topic.
People who prefer a moderated newsgroup are free to join or create one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:
...snipped...
(Personally I don't mind OT messages - but I hate untrimmed replies*
almost as much as I hate top-posters :-)

* and out of all the usenet ng's I regularly read, this one is way worse
for that than any of the others. Never have been able to work out why!

Probably 50% or so of that is because of ONE particular prolific poster
to the group. I won't name him but most regular readers probably know who
it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Google is not Usenet. A button on the Google web interface to their
mirror of Usenet will have ZERO effect on posts made from other ISPs,
and traveling about out in the cloud. And as somebody else posted, it
also apparently has little effect to posts within Google, and does not
prevent them from propogating out into the real Usenet.

Google Groups is to Usenet like FaceBook is to the Internet at large- a
protected little playground that tries very hard to discourage you from
wandering anywhere else.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2010 4:31 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 1, 9:28 am, wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

1. Define 'irrelevant".

2. Some of the most interesting material is marked "OT". That
should be easy for you to avoid.

HB

Hey baby, pull up that burka and show us your ankles! Woo Hoo!
Um, this is alt.terrorist.hotties isn't it?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"camryguy" wrote in message

[...]

reply:

OR, as most people do, click into a thread titled "How to Seduce a Sheep",
be totally offended, then gripe and gripe and gripe. Most of us have
learned to use the little arrows, or simply ignore.

HTH, but I doubt it.

Why can't we just have a perfectly ordered society in every way?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2010 11:28 AM, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

Yes, your post is a perfect example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 12:28*pm, camryguy wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

I agree.

The only way to fix this group is to use a 3/8 x 24 left hand thread
45 watt 14 - 3 w/ground propane orifice epoxied to a plexiglass
covered garbage disposal torsion spring.

That oughta do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:28:21 -0700 (PDT), camryguy
wrote:

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

You tell me who you want me to take care of (wink-wink) and I'll be
happy to do it for you. Just remember, Andy only lets me have one
bullet at a time... wait just a minute... are you that camryguy from
Mt Pilot???

Son-of-a-bitch! Where's that darn bullet! I found it. Everybody
duck, not you camryguy. You're under arrest for being a dip****!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 9:04*pm, Red Green wrote:
camryguy wrote in news:eebfb184-66fb-478a-a9fe-
:

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

Why isn't your post subject marked "OT"? The content is irrelevent to home
repair.

Maybe it's because the OP doesn't know how to spell OT.

If he did, he'd know to avoid all subject lines that start with OT so
he wouldn't be bothered by them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"camryguy" wrote in message
On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"camryguy" wrote in message

I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there
needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many
posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was
far less garbage than what i being posted now.

====

You're way new. I started sometime in the '90s.

You should get a real newreader and a newsgroup provider like eternal sept.
I think you're using Google Groups and it really sucks.

The old newsgroup days are long gone but it has always been a land of chaos
and that is part of the appeal.

Newgroup readers like Thunderbird and OE can easily filter crap. A few key
words in the "Message Rules" and they are gone.

Spammers come and go and lately there have been a few sex adds that I've
added filters for like "Naked" "Lohan" "Free" "Webcam".... You get the idea.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2010 12:17 AM, JimT wrote:

"camryguy" wrote in message
On Nov 1, 2:08 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"camryguy" wrote in message

[...]

Newsgroups are like raising children....when there is a houseful of
children, you "turn off the noise" - ignore it - but always hear the
right kid making the right noise. It always irritated my husband that I
could just shut out the noise, rather that make an effort to stop the
noise ) I have, more than once, slept through the smoke alarm
screaming because whatever in the first firing of our furnace made it
sound was not a threat. I have slept through room-mates trying to wake
me for supper. My kids calling me softly always woke me immediately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

It always irritated my husband that I
could just shut out the noise, rather that make an effort to stop the
noise ) I have, more than once, slept through the smoke alarm screaming
because whatever in the first firing of our furnace made it sound was not
a threat. I have slept through room-mates trying to wake me for supper.
My kids calling me softly always woke me immediately.

I worked offshore for about eight years. At times, we worked 48 hours
straight. We would be able to lay down right beside a noisy engine and go
to sleep quickly and sleep for a short time. Then, when the engine shut
off, it meant it was time to do some work, and the quiet would wake us up.
For years after that, I'd jump up awake when my wife would try to wake me
softly with a whisper. It sounded like there was a burglar in the house,
and she didn't want to make any noise. After we collided foreheads a couple
of times, she's just poke me with a broom handle or anything that would keep
her out of reach and say, "Hey!" Used to **** her off to no end when I
could lay down and be asleep in ten minutes, and she'd take a couple of
hours. When you don't know the next time you'll be able to sleep, you learn
to go to sleep fast.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 10:50*am, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote

[...]

When I was in the Coast Guard, and spent ridiculous numbers of hours
in the Loran transmitter buildings, we would climb on top of the cases
for the blower units for naps. They had rubber mats on top to protect
them from tools and parts, so they were cushioned, and the hum and
vibration would lull us to sleep.

As journeyman techs, we were so tuned in to the sounds of the building
that any hiccup in the transmitters or other equipment would wake us
up almost instantly.

I remember one time I was fast asleep while a newbie was working on
the stand-by transmitter. He started to ramp up the 20KV power supply
when I suddenly woke up and yelled "Shut it down!". To this day I
don't know what I heard, but when we inspected the transmitter we
found a loose bus bar on one of the huge oil filled capacitors. At
20KV it would have thrown a nasty arc and probably caused some serious
damage.

The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted tothis group will make your email address visible to anyone on the Internet. gro Electronics Repair 4 February 21st 09 01:53 AM
police [email protected] Home Ownership 2 October 17th 08 12:42 AM
police [email protected] Metalworking 1 April 8th 08 12:11 AM
DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another on Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in the southern city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said BGKM Woodworking 0 March 15th 07 08:31 AM