Posted to alt.home.repair

Default driveway drainage disaster

Well, not exactly a disaster. But the PO of House B obviously didn't
read ahr, so didn't know that new concrete doesn't stick to old
concrete. Referenced concrete berm / speed bump was fairly intact when
we bought the house 1.75 yrs. ago but has now completely fallen apart.
Water gets into the garage, and also rots the bottom of the structure to
the left of the garage door (vicinity of personnel door.)

So I've posted links to a few pics showing the layout. We basically have
a carport outside the garage. Cars live in carport. I'm considering a
couple of options. One is a threshold seal like this:

http://www.auto-care.com/doorseal.html

Which I would put where the concrete berm is disintegrating rather than
under the garage door. Or, maybe use two or three of them, possibly
angled across the carport to channel water to one side.

I've also found glue-down speed bumps, whose primary advantage seems to
be that they're taller (2" vs. 1/2")

Then we get complicated with some sort of drain:

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Trench-...HGG/dp/B00165Q
2PU

Or maybe I make my own french drain by trenching 3' deep and filling
with gravel?

Any suggestions welcome.

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd4.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:05*am, Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr...ch/ahr_gd4.jpg

I take it that the slab is not pitched correctly so that water drains
away and they put the speed bumps there as a barrier? How well was
that working until it came apart? What happens in winter, does it
freeze and leave a sheet of ice? If it was working OK, then you
could use a speed bump that is made of plastic and that gets cemented
down. I doubt the small strips intended to go under a garage door
will be substantial enough to keep all the water back. Wouldn't take
much of a wind for example to overtop it.

If it wasn't working well and there is a natural place for a channel
drain to empty into, then you could install that. HD and Lowes sells
them. Obviously a lot more work, but could be worth it if it's a
better solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 05:05:31 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
Then we get complicated with some sort of drain:

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Trench-...l-FSD-CHGG/dp/

B00165Q 2PU

I'd go with that. Used to see them a lot in the UK. If you can get the
grilles (they used to always be metal, modern ones may be plastic) from
somewhere then you could cast your own channel beneath.

Seals will probably fail, and bumps are just annoying.

Or maybe I make my own french drain by trenching 3' deep and filling
with gravel?

I'd put the soakaway off to one side, where it's not going to have
vehicles driving over it (or not bother - it looks from the images that
you might have just enough height for water to spill over to the right of
the driveway)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

news

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Trench-Driveway-Channel-FSD-CHGG/dp/B00165Q2PU

Or maybe I make my own french drain by trenching 3' deep and filling
with gravel?

Any suggestions welcome.

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd4.jpg

From the pics it looks like the intended path for the water was to the
right.

Only a person with a level and then with a hose can test this to be sure but
you need to determine if that is the lay of drive. If so I suspect that
cutting several grooves or even a small dip into the driveway which aids
that flow is a better choice than the bumps. This would save you from all
but the hardest of rains.

My sister has a drain like the Amazon link at her drive in entrance to the
basement. The actual ramp/drive is only about 10 feet long since this is
not the garage. In 25 years or so she has never had a problem with water.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Not enough pics. Can't see the roof or the general lay of the area on
that side of the house. Any way you can move the source of the water
entering form the side of the carport? Drain going else where
perhaps? Does the carport roof have gutters? The more sources of
water you can divert the better off you will be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

Replace the concrete bump with a glued down rubber one?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Too much hardscape and too small drainage course. Judging by leaf litter
and plants in view, the location gets more than 1 meter of rain per year.

I would break out the slab under the entire carport eaves line and install
a drain all around, continuing to the right out of the photos. Cobble
filled drains, sometimes known as French drains, are a really old system.
They are seen often on Japanese temples. You could install actual drain
tile, then cover with cobbles. The end result would be a decorative "dry
stream" that also conveys water.

Here is another idea:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Schlitzrinne.jpg

Do you have an adequate destination for the water?

Una
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all respondents so far. Just an update; I haven't dropped the
ball on this one and appreciate the questions and suggestions. Subject
house is 300 miles away and I haven't been there for a while, so I'm
relying on the lady of the house to provide more photos and information.
Those communications are in process now. I'll have more details soon.

Driveway drainage [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 15th 06 03:42 AM
Driveway drainage Idea? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 15 August 2nd 06 09:14 AM
Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 01:31 AM
Driveway Drainage Problem HerHusband Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 07:33 PM
Driveway drainage packat Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 12:10 AM