Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default driveway drainage disaster

Smitty Two wrote:
Well, not exactly a disaster. But the PO of House B obviously didn't
read ahr, so didn't know that new concrete doesn't stick to old
concrete. Referenced concrete berm / speed bump was fairly intact when
we bought the house 1.75 yrs. ago but has now completely fallen apart.
Water gets into the garage, and also rots the bottom of the structure
to the left of the garage door (vicinity of personnel door.)

So I've posted links to a few pics showing the layout. We basically
have a carport outside the garage. Cars live in carport. I'm
considering a couple of options. One is a threshold seal like this:

http://www.auto-care.com/doorseal.html

Which I would put where the concrete berm is disintegrating rather
than under the garage door. Or, maybe use two or three of them,
possibly angled across the carport to channel water to one side.

I've also found glue-down speed bumps, whose primary advantage seems
to be that they're taller (2" vs. 1/2")

Then we get complicated with some sort of drain:

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Trench-...HGG/dp/B00165Q
2PU

Or maybe I make my own french drain by trenching 3' deep and filling
with gravel?

Any suggestions welcome.

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/ahr_gd4.jpg

Replace the concrete bump with a glued down rubber one?