Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane generator for blackouts?

On 10/7/2010 8:51 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:59:00 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

[snip]

In the last few years I have actually had to service some systems still
running DOS 6.22. It's a good thing I hang onto old computers so I have
parts to fix the ancient machines. The new machines won't run DOS or the
old peripherals, different interrupts and such.

My newest PC (CPU is "AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435" triple core) will boot
and run DOS OK.

My 3ghz dual core Intel will boot and run DOS also but it wont run some
of the old applications like certain POS software and games. There are
differences between the bus architecture and timing for the ISA/XT,
ISA/AT, AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc, etc. To repeat a cliche, I've been there
done that. Many folks out there are running old DOS programs because the
software just works and does what it's supposed to do. Heck, if I
remember correctly, at one time most of the anytime teller machines were
running OS2. I don't know about now because a while back I read about
some other company taking over development of the software and renaming it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

My 3ghz dual core Intel will boot and run DOS also but it wont run
some of the old applications like certain POS software and games. There
are
differences between the bus architecture and timing for the ISA/XT,
ISA/AT, AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc, etc. To repeat a cliche, I've been there
done that. Many folks out there are running old DOS programs because
the software just works and does what it's supposed to do. Heck, if I
remember correctly, at one time most of the anytime teller machines
were running OS2. I don't know about now because a while back I read
about some other company taking over development of the software and
renaming it.

There's a lot to be said for "it just works." In fact, the vast majority of
modems in use today operate at 2400 Baud (think ATMs).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2010 9:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

My 3ghz dual core Intel will boot and run DOS also but it wont run
some of the old applications like certain POS software and games. There
are
differences between the bus architecture and timing for the ISA/XT,
ISA/AT, AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc, etc. To repeat a cliche, I've been there
done that. Many folks out there are running old DOS programs because
the software just works and does what it's supposed to do. Heck, if I
remember correctly, at one time most of the anytime teller machines
were running OS2. I don't know about now because a while back I read
about some other company taking over development of the software and
renaming it.

There's a lot to be said for "it just works." In fact, the vast majority of
modems in use today operate at 2400 Baud (think ATMs).

Some years back, I installed a number of backup generators in homes and
I obtained circuit boards for DSC alarm control panels which I mounted
inside the transfer switches. The use of simple tried and true alarm
communications protocols over a POTS line was a very reliable way to
monitor the generators. Years later, they're still working and it's
considered old technology.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2010 10:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

My 3ghz dual core Intel will boot and run DOS also but it wont run
some of the old applications like certain POS software and games. There
are
differences between the bus architecture and timing for the ISA/XT,
ISA/AT, AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc, etc. To repeat a cliche, I've been there
done that. Many folks out there are running old DOS programs because
the software just works and does what it's supposed to do. Heck, if I
remember correctly, at one time most of the anytime teller machines
were running OS2. I don't know about now because a while back I read
about some other company taking over development of the software and
renaming it.

There's a lot to be said for "it just works." In fact, the vast majority of
modems in use today operate at 2400 Baud (think ATMs).

'Cuz they only need to pass short data bursts, rather than gooey GUI
screen images? (I know some ATMs have pictures now, but not in this part
of the country yet. And those can be locally generated in the PC inside
all modern ATMs anyway.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-03, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a couple friends who have digital phone. When the power goes
out, they lose thier phone. I can't call them to see if they are OK,
cause the phone went out also. I ring. If someone answers, I know the
power is on.

That's why anyone with a digital phone on their landline should
also have a phone around which doesn't require electricity which
they can plug in.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On 12 Oct 2010 07:08:53 GMT, Jonathan Grobe

On 2010-10-03, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a couple friends who have digital phone. When the power goes
out, they lose thier phone. I can't call them to see if they are OK,
cause the phone went out also. I ring. If someone answers, I know the
power is on.

That's why anyone with a digital phone on their landline should
also have a phone around which doesn't require electricity which
they can plug in.

I think he's talking about a cable phone. It's sort of a landline,
meaning it isn't a cell phone, but when the power goes out, the cable
modem goes out and thus the phone goes out. I have one and that's the
deal. Even having an old wired phone won't help.

I guess the cable is independent of the power though and if you can
power the modem, the phone (and TV and Internet!) should work.

Assuming I get my generator, I assume that I'll be able to power the
modem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are many people who have "cordless" and other phones which
require electricity. People with fancy ass phones would benefit to
have a simple phone for power cuts.

In this case, the phone signal is proved by the cable TV and internet
company. When the power goes off, the cable TV and internet and phone
system goes dead. A simple phone, sadly, would not help these people.
(I'm not sure much would help them!)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, about the cable phone.

I'm not sure if there is signal in the coax, when the power goes out.
There may be cable substations and all, which need power. I just don't
know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message

I think he's talking about a cable phone. It's sort of a landline,
meaning it isn't a cell phone, but when the power goes out, the cable
modem goes out and thus the phone goes out. I have one and that's the
deal. Even having an old wired phone won't help.

I guess the cable is independent of the power though and if you can
power the modem, the phone (and TV and Internet!) should work.

Assuming I get my generator, I assume that I'll be able to power the
modem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 8:09*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, about the cable phone.

I'm not sure if there is signal in the coax, when the power goes out.
There may be cable substations and all, which need power. I just don't
know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

The line amplifiers require public power to operate and the back up
battery duration is often quite limited. During one prolonged power
outage here the cable company was placing loud, construction type,
generators on their maintenance platforms to maintain service. With
power out to all the homes the noise was deafening. After some of the
affected people started just shoving the generators off of the
platforms to fall to the street in order to shut them up the cable
company smartened up and started using Honda and Yamaha inverter
generators that people could tolerate when they had to sleep with the
windows open. Their newer line amplifiers now come with larger
battery compartments so maybe now they can run all night without a
generator to supply them.
--
Tom Horne