Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window air conditioner

Does it hurt to store a window air conditioner sideways, on it's back,
backwards or upside down?

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 1:06*pm, LSMFT wrote:
Does it hurt to store a window air conditioner sideways, on it's back,
backwards or upside down?

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!

Window AC's have the same issue as refrigerators: If stored other than
in an upright position, you need to let the compressor oil settle back
before you operate it.

I've heard time frames that range from 1 hour to 24 for a window AC.

"backwards"

I doubt it matters which direction the front faces.

"upside down, on it's side, etc"

Probably not a good idea, no matter how long you plan to let it
"settle". I'm thinking that the unit was designed and components were
placed/attached based on it being in an upright position. The weight
of some components hanging at an "unatural" angle might be an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2010 12:06 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Does it hurt to store a window air conditioner sideways, on it's back,
backwards or upside down?

Window air conditioners have no nervous system and can feel no pain.
The AC unit does have a compressor with a crankcase containing oil
that should be kept upright to prevent oil from migrating out of the
crankcase into the evaporator(cold)coil and tubing which would cause
the unit to malfunction when put back into service. It's best to store
it in an upright position.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Save a buck and try to store it in the upright position.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Does it hurt to store a window air conditioner sideways, on it's back,
backwards or upside down?

I have 4 window units and have been storing them on their backs for the last
6 years with no problem. After storage, I put them in the window and allow
to sit for several hours. They work flawlessly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
Does it hurt to store a window air conditioner sideways, on it's back,
backwards or upside down?

I have 4 window units and have been storing them on their backs for the last
6 years with no problem. After storage, I put them in the window and allow
to sit for several hours. They work flawlessly.

If stored on their backs, the oil isn't likely to run into any of
the tubing unless the suction line connection to the compressor is
toward the rear. I have turned them on their sides when cleaning
them so the water drains when I'm hosing them out.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:20:49 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
Does it hurt to store a window air conditioner sideways, on it's back,
backwards or upside down?

I have 4 window units and have been storing them on their backs for the
last 6 years with no problem. After storage, I put them in the window
and allow to sit for several hours. They work flawlessly.

If stored on their backs, the oil isn't likely to run into any of the
tubing unless the suction line connection to the compressor is toward
the rear. I have turned them on their sides when cleaning them so the
water drains when I'm hosing them out.

TDD

Oil in the lines isn't much of a problem anyways. And if left in their
normal position for a few hours it's even less of a problem. However I
see no reason to store one on it's face or upside down. I can't recall
seeing a suction line in the rear (no pun intended) but i have seen some
coiled to make sure any liquid R22 remaining as a mist was flashed off
before it hit the valve plate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I've repaired enough of those damn things over the past four decades to
have seen just about screwy thing happen to them. Way back in the day,
window units, like color TV's were very expensive and worth repairing.
Now small window units are like small microwave ovens, the labor charge
can be more than a new unit costs. I remember a guy who owned a TV shop
who would take a transistor radio from a customer who wanted it
repaired, he looked at it, dropped it on the floor, stomped it to
pieces, turned to a shelf, picked up a new one then handed it to the
stunned customer and said, that will be $7.95 please. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Some of the bigger units 12k+ BTU still are worth repairing. But people
tend to leave those in place. Or they are mounted in a thru-the-wall
casement. But like you say they aren't worth repair these days. Not when
you can buy a 5k BTU unit that will cool 600 or so sq feet for $69.99 at
WallyMart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

My service call on stuff like an AC unit is $65.00 not including parts.
When someone calls or asks me about repairs to commodity items, I ask
them if they priced a new one. I tell them the truth, calling a repair
tech to come out may cost more than a new unit. If I happen to be there
for another service, I'll be glad to take a look at it but unless it's
a simple problem I won't spend the time. They can donate it to Goodwill
or some such place.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Uh, NO! Last thing Goodwill and other charities need/want is busted
appliances. The landfill costs they pay for people using them as a
disposal point take a BIG chunk out of their proceeds.

Try the free section on CL, or FreeCycle, but make sure you say it needs
work. If no takers, pay the fee (or a small bribe) to your regular trash
hauler, or stick it in a corner until the next local hazmat/oddball
large stuff pickup day.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:48:58 -0400, aemeijers

On 10/2/2010 9:15 AM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

HVAC companies here, at least some, drop off large compressors to a
local guy and he dismantles the units for the metal. It cost him
nothing, the company doesn't have to deal with them and he makes some
money on metal recycle.

Many are off commercial building roof tops using a crane. The local
guy wins all around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are some folks who make good money from hauling scrap.

That's good all around, the HVAC guy gets a free drop off, and the
scrap guy gets the money from the metals.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren"
wrote in message ...

Uh, NO! Last thing Goodwill and other charities need/want is busted
appliances. The landfill costs they pay for people using them as a
disposal point take a BIG chunk out of their proceeds.

Try the free section on CL, or FreeCycle, but make sure you say it
needs
work. If no takers, pay the fee (or a small bribe) to your regular
trash
hauler, or stick it in a corner until the next local hazmat/oddball
large stuff pickup day.

HVAC companies here, at least some, drop off large compressors to a
local guy and he dismantles the units for the metal. It cost him
nothing, the company doesn't have to deal with them and he makes some
money on metal recycle.

Many are off commercial building roof tops using a crane. The local
guy wins all around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

They can donate it to Goodwill
or some such place.

Right. Poor people like non-working appliances. It saves on their
electric bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

They can donate it to Goodwill
or some such place.

Right. Poor people like non-working appliances. It saves on their
electric bill.

And don't forget the extra added advantage of having fewer people
helped since GW has to pay the costs associated with getting rid of the
NWAs.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2010 10:47 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
The Daring wrote:

They can donate it to Goodwill
or some such place.

Right. Poor people like non-working appliances. It saves on their
electric bill.

I know a lot of charities who have people who repair various donated
items for their thrift stores. I've seen them mix and match parts
from several items to make one for sale at the store.

TDD

Air Conditioner (window) cln Home Repair 11 July 8th 10 06:18 PM
Installing a Window Air Conditioner into a Wide Window vxla Home Repair 6 June 12th 08 03:24 AM
Window Air Conditioner Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 02:35 AM
Need Help Install Window Air Conditioner in Storm Window Frame Mike Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 01:10 AM
Milgard window and window air conditioner Harry Avant Home Repair 1 May 14th 06 06:56 PM