Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best underlayment for short retaining wall.

I'm putting in a 2 course retaining wall around some shrubs in raised beds
in the front yard where previously there were landscape timbers. Since I
was only going up 2 courses (8") I just figured to dig down a couple of
inches and lay down some sand to make leveling easier. But, then I was
thinking that maybe pea gravel or crushed limestone would be better or maybe
I should go deeper. What do you guys think? By-the-way this is in zone 5
(Michigan).

Thanks,
Craig

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5490 (20100929) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message
I'm putting in a 2 course retaining wall around some shrubs in raised beds
in the front yard where previously there were landscape timbers. Since I
was only going up 2 courses (8") I just figured to dig down a couple of
inches and lay down some sand to make leveling easier. But, then I was
thinking that maybe pea gravel or crushed limestone would be better or
maybe I should go deeper. What do you guys think? By-the-way this is in
zone 5 (Michigan).

Thanks,
Craig

I am pretty sure you need to have at least 1/2 of a block below grade to
promote stickiness of the wall.

I would use at lest 4" of compacted, crushed stone under the first level of
blocks. Then use 1/4 -1" max of rock dust or sand for the final leveling.

I am building one as soon as I can find the time in my own yard. The height
will vary from 2-6 blocks and I will put a 1 foot wide base 6-8" thick over
compacted clay. With a lighter soil I would use more base especially under
the taller part. My always stay where I put them.

--
Colbyt

Building a short retaining wall [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 13th 09 08:39 PM
Jacking out a SHORT retaining wall? Bill Stock Home Repair 6 June 20th 07 04:03 AM
old retaining wall pat Home Repair 13 July 22nd 06 06:19 PM
Building a retaining wall next to house wall. Adam UK diy 3 May 24th 04 04:19 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM