Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
pat pat is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default old retaining wall

Hi

I am thinking about buying a home, but wanted some feedback on what I
think the home inspector may think is a big concern.

The home is on the corner lot of an uphill road and sits quite high
above the sidewalk on the sloped side, and the yard is also at least 1
foot higher than the sidewalk on the level street side. There is an
old retaining wall (it may be the age of the home - 100 years) running
along the perimeter of the sidewalk enclosing the corner of the plot.
The wall looks to be in pretty bad shape -- cracks, water stains,
generally very OLD looking.

How big of a deal is the shape of this wall? Would touch-ups probably
be sufficient, or might there come a time when the entire wall needs to
be replaced?
Do you think this will be a major issue in a home inspection?

Thanks!

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,823
Default old retaining wall


"pat" wrote in message

How big of a deal is the shape of this wall? Would touch-ups probably
be sufficient, or might there come a time when the entire wall needs to
be replaced?
Do you think this will be a major issue in a home inspection?


Can't say for sure not seeing it, but I doubt that a 1' wall will create a
major issue. You also neglected to way what the wall is made from. Ugly
timbers or lovely stone? What you don't know, is when the "damage"
happened. If the wall is 100 years old and moved and cracked 90 years ago,
and has been stable since, it will probably last another 100 years.

It can be replace numerous ways today. Dig it out and pour a solid concrete
wall, put a facing on the concrete, build from block and brick, block and
stucco, or use the landscaping blocks and it becomes a DIY project. Or do
nothing if it does not bother you and does not move any more.

I would not let it become a deal breaker. If it was a 15' wall and in
danger of imminent collapse, I'd be more concerned.


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
pat pat is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default old retaining wall

Thanks for the feedback Edwin.

Just to follow up, the wall is 1' on the level side of the street --
but on the sloped side it might taper out to about 5'!

I looks to be concrete or a concrete/stone combo, and I just saw a
picture of it about 3 years ago and you can see that major touch-ups
had been done around that time because they allmost white back then.
It looked like there were a lot of major cracks, and the corner was
almost completed touched up.

Any further thoughts?

-Pat


Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"pat" wrote in message

How big of a deal is the shape of this wall? Would touch-ups probably
be sufficient, or might there come a time when the entire wall needs to
be replaced?
Do you think this will be a major issue in a home inspection?


Can't say for sure not seeing it, but I doubt that a 1' wall will create a
major issue. You also neglected to way what the wall is made from. Ugly
timbers or lovely stone? What you don't know, is when the "damage"
happened. If the wall is 100 years old and moved and cracked 90 years ago,
and has been stable since, it will probably last another 100 years.

It can be replace numerous ways today. Dig it out and pour a solid concrete
wall, put a facing on the concrete, build from block and brick, block and
stucco, or use the landscaping blocks and it becomes a DIY project. Or do
nothing if it does not bother you and does not move any more.

I would not let it become a deal breaker. If it was a 15' wall and in
danger of imminent collapse, I'd be more concerned.


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,199
Default old retaining wall

been there done that wall repair gig

No doubt its old and someday may need replaced.

since your a buyer get a few estimates on replacing it, and try getting
something off on the cost of the home. the owner knows it has troubles.

big $$$ are available with a bit of negoiating

Say 3 contractors estimate 6 grand for replacement, start by asking for
that much offL)

no luck go to 50% or l;ower if need be,

you have nothing to lose and can save lots of money

The dirty secret is ALL RETAINING WALLS FAAIL EVENTUALLY!

easiet thing to do iis tear out wall taper hill a little and plant
groundcover. requires no futher work I have done that at 2 homes it
works great no hill doesnt slide!

anyhow for now use wall as bargaining point!

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,823
Default old retaining wall


"pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the feedback Edwin.

Just to follow up, the wall is 1' on the level side of the street --
but on the sloped side it might taper out to about 5'!

I looks to be concrete or a concrete/stone combo, and I just saw a
picture of it about 3 years ago and you can see that major touch-ups
had been done around that time because they allmost white back then.
It looked like there were a lot of major cracks, and the corner was
almost completed touched up.

Any further thoughts?

-Pat


If there are cracks, but the wall is reasonably straight, it should still
not be a deal breaker, IMO. If it is being pushed far out from plumb, it
will need attention sooner. It may have to be removed, deeper better
footings put in, then rebuilt. That would be costly and is a consideration
for the overall value (price) of the house. Probably be best to get
someone to take a look at it if that is the case.




  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,199
Default old retaining wall

as a buyer GET A HOME INSPECTION! IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!

it will help cut the sales price since on a older home no doubt theres
lots of troubles. Its better you aware of major defects.

yes it will be a big issue on a home inspection

  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,823
Default old retaining wall


wrote in message
oups.com...
as a buyer GET A HOME INSPECTION! IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!

it will help cut the sales price since on a older home no doubt theres
lots of troubles. Its better you aware of major defects.


Maybe, maybe not. A good home inspection will point out problems and
potential problems. That does not mean the owner will reduce the price. The
buy still has the option of just passing on to another house. There are
plenty of complaints that inspectors missed serious problems too, and there
is little or no recourse. Sometimes you are better off having Uncle Bob go
through the house with you.


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,199
Default old retaining wall


Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
as a buyer GET A HOME INSPECTION! IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!

it will help cut the sales price since on a older home no doubt theres
lots of troubles. Its better you aware of major defects.


Maybe, maybe not. A good home inspection will point out problems and
potential problems. That does not mean the owner will reduce the price. The
buy still has the option of just passing on to another house. There are
plenty of complaints that inspectors missed serious problems too, and there
is little or no recourse. Sometimes you are better off having Uncle Bob go
through the house with you.


I would use uncle bob AND a inspector.

home inspector is buyers best friend and owners worst nightmare.

at least buyer has more knowledge of what trouble the home may have,
then its up to them wether to negoiate price.

TODAY owner is more likely to lower price.

Lets say home inspector finds a problem , if buyer backs out SELLER
MUST BY LAW DISCLOSE THIS AND ANY OTHER TROUBLES THE HOME INSPECTOR
FOUND!

If they dont they can be easily sued.......

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,823
Default old retaining wall


"Italian" wrote in message
ups.com...
As far as being "old" looking so are the Pyramids and the
Roman Colosseum but these structures havent moved in thousands of
years.


Yes, but after 2000 years, the Coliseum is in bad shape. They really should
have put aluminum siding on it.


  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 45
Default old retaining wall

Nice one I like that......

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Italian" wrote in message
ups.com...
As far as being "old" looking so are the Pyramids and the
Roman Colosseum but these structures havent moved in thousands of
years.


Yes, but after 2000 years, the Coliseum is in bad shape. They really should
have put aluminum siding on it.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a cement block retaining wall... [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 8th 06 06:33 PM
Waterproofing a retaining wall [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 11th 05 09:57 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"