Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building a short retaining wall

I have a semi-circular area inside of my semi-circular driveway, it
has a tree in the middle. The perimeter of this area is about 40
feet. Currently I have pressure treated 4x4 used as a border around
this area. After a few years in the hot and humid Miami sun, those
are partially rotted and when I have severe rainstorms and the street
is flooded, those 4x4 lumbers would float into the street. I anchored
them with some rebars but still they move and shift.

So I am going to remove them and replace them with a stone wall. I am
thinking of using something like this:

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...86305220md.jpg

Because my driveway is not level, the top of the arch is higher then
the "baseline" by about 14-16 inches. So I figured I need may be two
layers of the stones on the high side, and four layers of the stones
on the low side so that the border would be at an even elevation all
the way around. I will set a couple of stakes and pull a string to
guide me.

Now to the questions.

(1) I am going to dig down a few inches, and then fill and level with
a layer of sand. Now would you start at the high side or the low
side? My concern is that as I dig down in some spots I will hit a
shallow tree root, and that would cause a problem as far as making
everything level. I wonder which side I start would minimize any
surprises.
(2) I was told that I do not need mortar that these stones are heavy
enough and my wall is short enough they would just stack. However,
what if rain comes and wash out some sand below would the wall start
to become uneven? If I don't use mortar between each piece of stone,
would it be at least desirable to have a mortar footing (instead of
sand)? or I should use sand below and put mortar between the stones?
(3) What is the best way to stack the stones where there is a slope?
I cannot create a sand base where it is sloping the steepest. Do I
have to shape the ground there like a series of steps? I think I have
to, but in that case, I would not be able to use a sand layer
underneath.

Thanks in advance for any advise,

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:50:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I think you have a wrong choice for material.

Nice video he

How to Build a Curved Retaining Wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37LTvLSUD8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 4:17*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

That's good video! Thanks.

The only difference is I am not doing a retaining wall, my wall would
be free standing in that there is no difference in elevation between
the inside and outside of the wall. I was thinking I would backfill
the area inside but my tree is already there and I don't want to raise
the soil level around the trunk.

So for my wall I need the finish to be on both sides instead of one
side.

Thanks,

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It would help a lot to have a photo of the area. If I understand what
you want to do, you will have a wall that is higher in places than the
driveway, and level with the drive at the top of the arch? With the
wall at different heights than the drive, will it be a hazard to people
getting in/out of vehicles? Can you bank an area along the drive,
rather than put in a wall - lay pavers or river rock along the bank and
all should stay in place. We have corrected a lot of little problems
areas around our condo, but nothing quite like yours. One of our
problems was huge amounts of water from downspouts washing away soil
from hedges nearby that are on a short slope. We replaced soil, put
down landscape cloth and river rock where the water first hits - then
planted liriope across the slope - that helps break up the force of the
water but stays in place and allows water to disperse. It is pretty, no
maintenance and holds soil very well. It is dark green, small blossoms,
about 14" high. We also planted liriope around some light posts after
we got tired of mower knocking them over. Great stuff.

Here is a link to info:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/document_ep016

Pictu
http://classygroundcovers.com/item--Liriope-m-'Densiflora'-%7B50-Bare-Root-plants%7D-muscari--362
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 4:56*pm, wrote:
On May 12, 4:17*pm, Oren wrote:

[...]

There is no rule that a planting bed has to be level. Contoured
planting beds have a better appearance and let you focus attention on
the plants you want.

You don't have to stack the brick you linked to. Install them
vertically in a trench.
I know of essentially nothing in construction where you start with an
upper course and work your way down. That route is rife with
problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:
[...]

You should use commercially made pre-cast concrete retaining wall blocks.
They lock together and have a built-in back slant to help hold up the dirt.
Check locally as to which brands are available locally and chose the ones
that you like for looks and ease of construction. The manufacturer will have
details on how to construct the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
to become uneven? If I don't use mortar between each piece of stone,
would it be at least desirable to have a mortar footing (instead of
sand)? or I should use sand below and put mortar between the stones?
(3) What is the best way to stack the stones where there is a slope?
I cannot create a sand base where it is sloping the steepest. Do I
have to shape the ground there like a series of steps? I think I have
to, but in that case, I would not be able to use a sand layer
underneath.

I would not use sand as the base. I suggest road fill (DGA), a mixture of
rock from 3/4" to dust which packs down nice and tight when tamped.