Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building a cement block retaining wall...

Hope someone can tell me if I'm on the right track (or what to do to be
so)-

I want to level some ground on the far end of my driveway to use as
extra parking - it would involve adding fill to level a space about 12
x 16 feet. The most fill would be two feet worth at the far end along
the property line chain-link fence. I figure on building a retaining
wall along the fence line from standard concrete blocks, the base of
which would step down in one-course increments as the slope drops.

I was advised on a way to build the wall that involves dry-stacking the
blocks, driving rebar down into the grade thru the block cavities, then
filling the cavities with cement, which I would also use to cap off the
wall. I'm thinking of using gravel for footings, mostly so I could
drive the rebar through it. I reckon on sloping the grade down past the
end of the level area if I need to wheel anything down to the backyard.

So does this seem like a sound way to do it? I'm figuring on using
cement block rubble and dirt for the fill - that I'm getting from
pulling out a low retaining wall further up the driveway as old as the
house (55 years) and falling apart at its mortar joins (I'm cutting out
a sloped bank where the wall was). Hopefully the new wall will hold out
better than the old one.

VMacek

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If the ground freezes in your area you will need to get below the frost line
with a footing. If not the constant movement will break up your block
concrete system. A better and easier way is to just use the interlocking
landscaping retaining wall blocks. They look nicer (stone looking face), no
mortar/concrete (interlock as they stack), no footing (they will move with
the ground).

Posted to alt.home.repair

All walls eventually fail! It is much better to slope ground to the
angle of natural repose. That means it will naturally not fall over or
move.

Your wall building idea sounds fine BUT one day you or someone else
will have to rebuild it.

just as you are removing that old wall thats falling down.

just something to think about.

After rebuilding some walls repeatedly I have removed 60 feet or so of
them and have never regretted it. Have plans to remove another 40 feet
or so the next time it begins to fail.

I will have to retain about 10 feet of wall, thats about 10 feet tall.
Since 1972 its been rebuilt 3 times last rebuilt made it 2 heights
that helped a lot.

install gravel and perforated drain pipe behind wall, freeze thaw of
water causes much wall moving.

incidently dry stacked solid concrete wall stones are easier to rebuild
than ones concreted in.

sadly all walls fail sooner or later

I have lived in my home since 1972.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I appreciate the prompt response I've gotten so far - I'll add that I'm
in the Atlanta, GA area, where freezing/thawing is thankfully not much
of an issue. There is a good amount of rainwater coming off the
driveway there though.

I did build a dry-stacked fieldstone wall against a ground cut some 13
years ago and it's doing fine - I backed it with gravel and a drain
pipe which I'm sure helped...I'll keep that in mind. I'm not too
worried about appearance as it is up against a chain-link fence (hence
unable to slope it that way) - if anything it'll improve the area. Good
thing my neighbor is okay with these things too.

VMacek

Posted to alt.home.repair

Updating my own thread here - I'm still demolishing the old retaining
wall, and while it's been easy going prying apart the mortared blocks,
one section just refused to budge and I finally had to break it apart
with a sledgehammer...and what do you know, that section had cement
poured through the block cavities just like I am planning with my new
wall. It looks like what I build should hold up nicely.(I really wanted
to find a way to use the cement blocks I'm pulling from the old wall -
I am cheap)

There is the possibility I would have to replace it in a few decades,
but I'm 50 now. If I'm replacing it then, I will be very pleased with
myself!

VMacek

Paint for Retaining Wall Frank UK diy 2 June 7th 05 09:43 PM
Windsor Plywood Scam - Saskatoon James \(Garry\) Hunter Woodworking 19 January 4th 05 05:12 PM
Building a retaining wall: Will this work? Howie UK diy 30 September 6th 04 10:12 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 03:12 PM
Overflow extended length from external wall - Building Regulations Jeff Martin UK diy 1 August 14th 03 12:37 AM