Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small Engine Carburetor Rebuild or Replace?

How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 7:07*pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

How available and expensive is a new one? How much to rebuild? If
you do the work, How experienced are you, or confident, are you with a
rebuild? Is there any rust on the old carb?? Do you just want to get
it repaired quickly or do you want to save a few bucks and maybe learn
something but even if you totally screw it up then you really learned
something hopefully yu can still afford the replacement, lol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Assuming that you are able to rebuild the carb, the only reason I can think of
for not doing so is inability to find the parts needed for rebuilding --
usually only a float, needle valve, and one gasket, IME.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 7:07*pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

What make, model, age, conditon, problems you are having that make you
think it is the carburetor???????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 00:40:36 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

In article
, Jon
Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Assuming that you are able to rebuild the carb, the only reason I can
think of for not doing so is inability to find the parts needed for
rebuilding -- usually only a float, needle valve, and one gasket, IME.

I seem to find a lot where the holes in the carb body for the throttle
plate spindle have worn, so they leak a lot of air around the pivots - I
don't think anything to fix that is usually in rebuild kits. They can
probably be drilled and some form of sleeve fitted, but finding a
suitable sleeve might be tricky.

(I've never seen a bad float - heard of it happening many a time, but I'm
yet to find one in any carb that I've had apart!)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 10:18*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:

I seem to find a lot where the holes in the carb body for the throttle
plate spindle have worn, so they leak a lot of air around the pivots - I
don't think anything to fix that is usually in rebuild kits. They can
probably be drilled and some form of sleeve fitted, but finding a
suitable sleeve might be tricky.

(I've never seen a bad float - heard of it happening many a time, but I'm
yet to find one in any carb that I've had apart!)

cheers

Jules

I agree with Jules. I've "cleaned" a lot of carbs on motorcycles/ATV's
and mowers. I guess you could call them rebuilt if you want to, but
99% of the time they only need dis-assembled and the jets/transfer
ports cleaned. I have never seen a float that leaked, but have seen
some bad float valves and bad float settings.

I can't remember the last time I even had to buy a gasket or kit. Like
Jules said, the only time you would ever need to replace a carb is
when the throttle plate shaft wears down the housing to the point of
having so much slop that it lets air leak thru. Or, the housing is
broke/cracked for some reason.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Assuming that you are able to rebuild the carb, the only reason I can
think of for not doing so is inability to find the parts needed for
rebuilding -- usually only a float, needle valve, and one gasket, IME.

I seem to find a lot where the holes in the carb body for the throttle
plate spindle have worn, so they leak a lot of air around the pivots - I
don't think anything to fix that is usually in rebuild kits. They can
probably be drilled and some form of sleeve fitted, but finding a
suitable sleeve might be tricky.

(I've never seen a bad float - heard of it happening many a time, but I'm
yet to find one in any carb that I've had apart!)

cheers

Jules

I have seen 2 gas-logged floats. One I needed fast...emptied and heat-
dried it and soldered the hole closed.
Most carbs can be cleaned and adjusted without rebuilding. Some
mechanics will charge for the rebuilding kit and not even install it.
I'm not saying most...just some!
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Sep 26, 7:07*pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Have you priced a new carburator lately? Do it and you'll answer your
own question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:

On Sep 26, 7:07*pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Have you priced a new carburator lately? Do it and you'll answer your
own question.

I've said before that they were too cheap to spend any time/money
futzing with an old one--- but I've met resistance every time so I
quit posting it. I guess it is a matter of choice & what else one
might do with that time to frustrate themselves.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've said before that they were too cheap to spend any time/money
futzing with an old one--- ...

I don't know what your carburetors are or where you're getting them but
"cheap" hasn't been in the lexicon of any I've had to deal with...

I think the other poster was implying if OP were to price a new he'd
definitely be looking at rebuilding if I were to guess the intent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KC" wrote in message
On Sep 26, 7:07 pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Have you priced a new carburator lately? Do it and you'll answer your
own question.

reply: That's when you can find them. There isn't a huge stock of
carburetors at the local store, and a lot of them are out of production.

I have an updraft carburetor on a Lincoln welder with a Continental engine.
I had to rebuild it myself, and that included making new gaskets. It works.
On some of the older models, you can fergeddabout finding new carburetors.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
KC wrote:

On Sep 26, 7:07 pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Have you priced a new carburator lately? Do it and you'll answer your
own question.

I've said before that they were too cheap to spend any time/money
futzing with an old one--- but I've met resistance every time so I
quit posting it. I guess it is a matter of choice & what else one
might do with that time to frustrate themselves.

Jim

They get $5 or more for the little rubber primer bulb on a Briggs. Can't
imagine what they would want for the whole carb.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:52:25 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
KC wrote:

On Sep 26, 7:07 pm, Jon Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Have you priced a new carburator lately? Do it and you'll answer your
own question.

I've said before that they were too cheap to spend any time/money
futzing with an old one--- but I've met resistance every time so I
quit posting it. I guess it is a matter of choice & what else one
might do with that time to frustrate themselves.

Jim

They get $5 or more for the little rubber primer bulb on a Briggs. Can't
imagine what they would want for the whole carb.

About $50 for most of the ones I've priced in the last few years. I
hate to waste $30, a day of running around, remove, clean, replace,
pray- and then find out it was one of those balls under a Welch plug
that won't reseat. For $50- I remove, replace, and start the
engine. [the last two I got were dead on adjusted from the factory.]

Look yours up-

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/bri...gine_parts.cfm
[his site search sucks so I use the part number & Google it once I get
to his site]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I remove, clean, and put back on. No running around. Cost $0.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:

[...]

On 2_cycle carbs: turn Hi and Lo screws in (until they lightly bottom)
half turn at-a-time (make a note of each); spray WD or carb cleaner
into the holes (with spray tubes); turn screws until they lightly
bottom and back-out as you previously noted for each.
No dis-assembly. No running around. Cost $0.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

-snip-

On 2_cycle carbs: turn Hi and Lo screws in (until they lightly bottom)
half turn at-a-time (make a note of each); spray WD or carb cleaner
into the holes (with spray tubes); turn screws until they lightly
bottom and back-out as you previously noted for each.
No dis-assembly. No running around. Cost $0.

That's step 3. Step 1 is determine it is a gas problem. Step 2
is dump gas and replace with fresh.

Then step 3. . . . If all that fails- Step 4 is buy a new carb and go
do something else until the UPS guy drops it off.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:

[...]

No dis-assembly. *No running around. Cost $0.- Hide quoted text -

That's fine on my 30 year old chain saw. But if you've bought
anything recently you'll find that it has no high/low screws. They
are factory set and blocked or otherwise unaccessible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:

[...]

are factory set and blocked or otherwise unaccessible.- Hide quoted text -

Depends on what's wrong with the carb. If it just needs a rebuild
kit, which is gasket, needle valve, etc, I've bought them on Ebay for
5hp snowblower engine for $10. In my experience, cleaning it out
completely, which requires the rebuild kit, is usually all it needs.
If it needs that plus a float or float bowl, etc, that need to be
replaced, then you can find out the cost of that vs buying a new one.
It also depends on your skills and if you can follow repair
instructions. One caveat, the rebuild kit I used did not include the
gasket to mount the carb to the intake. Make sure you buy one of
those too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 5:34*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

That's step 3. * *Step 1 is determine it is a gas problem. * * Step 2
is dump gas and replace with fresh.

Jim

Step 2 can replace Step 1. *L*