Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Small Engine Carburetor Lacks Port for Crankcase Breather Hose

I was lucky to find a carburetor that would fit a very old Tecumseh
engine, but it lacks a port for the crankcase breather hose, which the
original one had.
Can I retrofit a port on the air filter bell? Or, in general,
can I retrofit a port anywhere as long as the hose opening is in
contact with filtered air?
What will happen if I close off the air breather hose
altogether? Is this an option?
Help is very much appreciated!
Thank you!
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

: I was lucky to find a carburetor that would fit a very old
Tecumseh
: engine, but it lacks a port for the crankcase breather hose,
which the
: original one had.

CY: Bummer.

: Can I retrofit a port on the air filter bell?

CY: yes, it would be OK to stick the hose into the air filter. At
least, I think so....

Or, in general,
: can I retrofit a port anywhere as long as the hose opening is
in
: contact with filtered air?

CY: The goal is to put the dirty oily air that comes out of the
breather hose into the air stream. So that any oil and vapors
will have the chance to be burned.

: What will happen if I close off the air breather hose
: altogether? Is this an option?

CY: You'll get a lot more crud in the crank case. Better to just
leave the breather hose open so it can dump the vapors and crud
into the air. The EPA won't hurt you too badly if you don't tell
them.

: Help is very much appreciated!

CY: Don't tell anyone what you did with the machine. Just do it
and be silent.

: Thank you!
: Frank