Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile question

Hi - Opinions on installing tile over linoleum?
I have a newer house (4yrs old) When we had it built, we had linoleum
installed with the idea of doing tile later on down the road. Since
it's newer, I imagine that the removal is going to be a major pain.
I've done several DIY tile jobs in the past, but never any over
linoleum.
I am not planning on installing directly to the linoleum. I would
either buy concrete backerboard and screw it down (through the
linoleum and into the plywood subfloor) or apply some sort of metal
mesh (such as stucco netting) screw it down, and then apply the tile
over that. I've seen several discussions online and most all say do
not install tile to linoleum... but none of them include these extra
steps, they are all talking about laying tile directly over the
linoleum.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:09:12 -0700 (PDT), Bumblebee wrote:

Hi - Opinions on installing tile over linoleum?
I have a newer house (4yrs old) When we had it built, we had linoleum
installed with the idea of doing tile later on down the road. Since
it's newer, I imagine that the removal is going to be a major pain.
I've done several DIY tile jobs in the past, but never any over
linoleum.
I am not planning on installing directly to the linoleum. I would
either buy concrete backerboard and screw it down (through the
linoleum and into the plywood subfloor) or apply some sort of metal
mesh (such as stucco netting) screw it down, and then apply the tile
over that. I've seen several discussions online and most all say do
not install tile to linoleum... but none of them include these extra
steps, they are all talking about laying tile directly over the
linoleum.

I'd tear up the floor. Thinset (as well as screws) is used to put down
backerboard. Linoleum or vinyl aren't going to make a very stable foundation
and may move. Ripping up vinyl and glue can be a PITA but it's necessary,
IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2010 7:23 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:09:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

The vinyl sheet is not directly over the plywood subfloor, in all odds.
There is another layer of SOMETHING under there. In the old days, it
would have been 5/8 particle board- might be 3/8 luan (sp?) plywood
nowadays. On a house that new, any way to call the builder and find the
flooring sub, and ask how they glue stuff down? You might get lucky and
it is only edge-glued, and can come up without too much problem.

I'd be hesitant, on a house that new, to make the floor an inch taller.
It makes the room doorway transitions a PITA. And in a kitchen, you run
into all the usual problems with the countertops suddenly being an inch
shorter, and the dishwasher getting trapped, etc. (Unless you do it the
purist way and pull out or shim up all the base cabinets, which might
not be that big a deal in a basically new house, unless you have a fancy
backsplash on the counters.)

So to sum up- IMHO, do it the right way and strip the old
floor/underlayment, or learn to love the vinyl that was 'good enough'
when you moved in. An overlaid layer of backer board (or mud bed) and
tile would stick out like a sore thumb to anyone that knows how a house
goes together.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:19:38 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

It was in my previous house. Well, there was glue in there. :-(

There is another layer of SOMETHING under there. In the old days, it
would have been 5/8 particle board- might be 3/8 luan (sp?) plywood
nowadays. On a house that new, any way to call the builder and find the
flooring sub, and ask how they glue stuff down? You might get lucky and
it is only edge-glued, and can come up without too much problem.

Yes, that would be lucky.

I'd be hesitant, on a house that new, to make the floor an inch taller.
It makes the room doorway transitions a PITA. And in a kitchen, you run
into all the usual problems with the countertops suddenly being an inch
shorter, and the dishwasher getting trapped, etc. (Unless you do it the
purist way and pull out or shim up all the base cabinets, which might
not be that big a deal in a basically new house, unless you have a fancy
backsplash on the counters.)

It's not too bad to transition to carpet. The other rooms I tiled I
transitioned to 5/8" bamboo, also new, so it wasn't a problem. I'd *always*
run the flooring under appliances. It's not *that* expensive and it saves a
lot of headaches later. Base cabinets in the kitchen (bamboo part of the
floor) I left as they were. I pulled vanities and tiled under. It't easy
enough.

So to sum up- IMHO, do it the right way and strip the old
floor/underlayment, or learn to love the vinyl that was 'good enough'
when you moved in. An overlaid layer of backer board (or mud bed) and
tile would stick out like a sore thumb to anyone that knows how a house
goes together.

Not sure how they would know, but I certainly wouldn't want to do all that
work and have something move. *CRRAAACK!*

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They put tile over a membrane all the time. Roll that over your
linoleum and rock on. I would just put it over the linoleum if it was
me. Use Ultraflex mortar
I have tile over 12x12 vinyl tile and it survived far more abuse than
most tile has in a lifetime. We tore the room down and rebuilt it
without tearing up the tile.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addi...the%20tile.jpg

What he said.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bumblebee wrote in news:bac4205f-cb18-4156-ba62-
:

[...]

Well I just put some down a couple of months ago.

I spread plain econo grey thinset on the lino, backerboard on top of that
screwed down. Econo thinset just smooths out any irregularities. Not
meant for adhesion to lino. Leave like a 1/8" gap between backerboard
pieces. No 3 corners of backerboard can meet at the same place. When you
put the tile down with quality thinset, be sure to fill and tape the gaps
with mesh tape designed for backerboard.

Be sure to select screws long enough to penetrate through the subfloor
for your case.

Best possible way to do it? No, it's not the Cadillac way. As I said,
it's only been a couple of months. Test of time will tell.

Tile Question Kate[_5_] Home Repair 21 January 30th 10 06:52 PM
Tile question [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 1 February 23rd 09 03:56 AM
Another tile question David Nebenzahl Home Repair 0 February 22nd 09 08:23 AM
Tile question Hustlin' Hank Home Repair 1 February 21st 09 12:38 PM
Tile Saw Question srazor Home Repair 3 December 5th 06 03:25 PM