Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The old cat urine question?

My ancient male cat, 20+ lbs, for the first time in 15+ years, decided
to whiz in a corner of a carpeted room. After I drop kicked him out
into the back yard (just kidding) I researched this and purchased a
gallon of Natures Miracle Advanced Cat Urine Stain and Odor Remover.

I lifted the rug and soaked it, the foam padding, the floor and even
removed the nail strips leading into the corner. After letting soak
for a day I've had a fan blowing into the area (with the rug lifted up
and a 2nd fan blowing out an open window just above the area.
That's been going now for three days and there's still some lingering
aroma.

At this point I'm ready to rip out the carpeting and pad and have the
floors refinished but that unfortunately is more than my budget will
allow. So, I am hoping that some of you readers may have experienced
this situation before and have some fool proof (I'm the fool)
techniques to eliminate the odor.

As I sit here holding my nose, I will appreciate any advice provided
(short of shooting the cat).

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 8:59*pm, bobmct wrote:
[...]

ripm out and toss rug, scrub floor and rinse well... let dry and eep
cat out of room.

then coat floor with OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE, the outdoor is oil based
and the only one that will work.

what you must do is seal the odor in as its impossible to remove....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2010 7:59 PM, bobmct wrote:
[...]

CUT out the carpet in the corner, discard the pad, then paint the floor
with KILZ (the oil based original)a couple coats. Then ceramic tile
that corner and put a plant there. One the cat won't crap in.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote in
:

[...]

You got advice on the carpet aspect. As far as the cat, long ago I had
the same thing happen. Perfectly clean cat for over a decade. In males
(mine was fixed), it is often caused by crystals in their urine/bladder
or other infection. You see, we can't understand much of their complex
extended vocabulary of movements. They have to whack us with a 2x4 to get
our attention. A urine sample to the vet for starters. If that produces
no info then probably a blood test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
bobmct wrote in
:

[...]

Good advice. I once had a male cat that had cystitis and was clearly trying
to indicate he was in distress by going in and out of his litter box
repeatedly without doing anything. Vet gave me some "Uro-eze" powder to mix
with his food. The writing on the bottle was smudged, and what was written
as 1/4 teaspoon every 6 hours became 4 tablespoons every 6 hours. Needless
to say, he couldn't walk a single step without whizzing. I picked him up
(trailing drops of cat **** all the way) and put him in the dog's crate with
some old rags until the stuff wore off. Fortunately, he suffered no ill
effects from his accidental "cleanse." The dog, however, was quite miffed
that his digs were taken over, even temporarily.

Almost a decade later, he whizzed in the house again and I scolded him. He
ran, like he always did when he knew he had done something bad. I found him
several hours later under the shrubs, dead from a shredded bladder. I still
feel guilty for yelling at him when he couldn't really control himself. )-:
Vet said even had we gotten him in right away, there's not much they can do
with that sort of damage. Taught me a valuable lesson about not getting
angry before I know all the facts.

He had been raised with a litter of puppies and thought he was a dog until
the day he died. Even played fetch like a dog. Had him since I was a kid
and rescued him from Clove Lake Stables in Staten Island where the
stablehands were about to toss him down an old well hole. Caused me to
become a lapsed Catholic because the parish priest told me there were no
cats or dogs in Heaven. "What kind of a ripoff is that?" I thought.

So yes, take that old fella to the vet, he's trying to tell you something.

As for cleanup, I used Nature's Miracle, lots of applications, lots of
rinsing. Still, as someone else noted, the smell is never quite gone. One
series of humid days brings back the odor, not very strongly, but strong
enough to be a bother. Be happy the cat was neutered. The smell of unfixed
cat **** is unbelievably potent. Nature's design, I suppose, to make sure
their territory stays marked even after a rainstorm. I once had a roommate
who worked for a vet and brought home all the "rescues" and the place
smelled like a stable. The cats would jump on the kitchen counters to
escape the dog and as often as not, there would be a puddle of **** greeting
you when you went to make the mornng coffee. But even than was not
intolerable.

I moved out when one of them whizzed on my bed and it soaked through so that
it was not visible. Eeeeewwwww! I love animals, but you've got to draw the
line somewhere. That line is coming home from work, exhausted and lying on
the bed only to realize there's something wet. Eeeeewwwww again. The only
worse experience was siphoning gas with a tube that had a cockroach inside.
Ptui! No, wait - stepping on puppy **** in my bare feet.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
[...]

If you want animals, get a dirt floor.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bobmct" wrote

My ancient male cat, 20+ lbs, for the first time in 15+ years, decided
to whiz in a corner of a carpeted room. After I drop kicked him out
into the back yard (just kidding) I researched this and purchased a
gallon of Natures Miracle Advanced Cat Urine Stain and Odor Remover.

Well, having seen 2 non-pet owners (presumably since they didn't know how to
clear this) and a few who are give a link to a mix (make your own, free
recipe on the web) that does work, use the mix that does work. The hydrogen
peroxide breaks down the protiens and the baking soda kills the remaining
aroma. May have to do it twice since you'd dried it out already.

No, you don't have to cut out the carpet and padding then treat the floor
with oil based stuff. Agree with others he needs the vet. Sudden peeing
like that usually indicates a problem. Male cats are more prone to urinary
crystals than females. What can happen is they develop similar to a kidney
stone and as you would have heard, these can be painful to pass. A cat can
quickly associate this 'pain' with the kitty litter pan and start to avoid
it. Your cat has classic symptoms of this. It's a medical emergency so do
a walk in if you can't get an appointment right away.

I've never had a cat with this, but many friends have. You may find
Rec.Pets.Cats.Anecdotes to be a good group for advise (also on clearing the
carpet). Most of the time caught early, it's not too hard to solve.

Cats fed on dry are also more prone to it so if you feed only dry, *may*
want to consider converting to wet. If it is some sort of urinary issue,
and you want to stay on dry, they have special dry formulas that help alot.
Getting the cat to drink more also helps. My method to keep my cats healthy
(have dogs too) is to feed a small 'noon noshe' of broth. Cats get 3 TB. I
happen to make my own from leftover baked chickens but the only really
needed thing is it be very low salt (so don't use just any old human canned
chicken broth but one that is low sodium would be ok). My cats have been
wet-fed but they like the broth too. Haven't had any issues wiuth
kidney/urinary problems.