Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default The old cat urine question?

"bobmct" wrote

My ancient male cat, 20+ lbs, for the first time in 15+ years, decided
to whiz in a corner of a carpeted room. After I drop kicked him out
into the back yard (just kidding) I researched this and purchased a
gallon of Natures Miracle Advanced Cat Urine Stain and Odor Remover.

Well, having seen 2 non-pet owners (presumably since they didn't know how to
clear this) and a few who are give a link to a mix (make your own, free
recipe on the web) that does work, use the mix that does work. The hydrogen
peroxide breaks down the protiens and the baking soda kills the remaining
aroma. May have to do it twice since you'd dried it out already.

No, you don't have to cut out the carpet and padding then treat the floor
with oil based stuff. Agree with others he needs the vet. Sudden peeing
like that usually indicates a problem. Male cats are more prone to urinary
crystals than females. What can happen is they develop similar to a kidney
stone and as you would have heard, these can be painful to pass. A cat can
quickly associate this 'pain' with the kitty litter pan and start to avoid
it. Your cat has classic symptoms of this. It's a medical emergency so do
a walk in if you can't get an appointment right away.

I've never had a cat with this, but many friends have. You may find
Rec.Pets.Cats.Anecdotes to be a good group for advise (also on clearing the
carpet). Most of the time caught early, it's not too hard to solve.

Cats fed on dry are also more prone to it so if you feed only dry, *may*
want to consider converting to wet. If it is some sort of urinary issue,
and you want to stay on dry, they have special dry formulas that help alot.
Getting the cat to drink more also helps. My method to keep my cats healthy
(have dogs too) is to feed a small 'noon noshe' of broth. Cats get 3 TB. I
happen to make my own from leftover baked chickens but the only really
needed thing is it be very low salt (so don't use just any old human canned
chicken broth but one that is low sodium would be ok). My cats have been
wet-fed but they like the broth too. Haven't had any issues wiuth
kidney/urinary problems.