Posted to alt.home.repair

Default baseboard heat

Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 12:24*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

The water is circulating, the copper removes heat quickly, it works
but I like cast iron better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:24*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How many GPM are you re-circulating?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2010 1:32 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How many GPM are you re-circulating?

I don't know. I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water. So
I figured in one cycle, the water in the fin tubing get replaced just once.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Sam Takoy wrote:

I don't know. I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water. So
I figured in one cycle, the water in the fin tubing get replaced just once.

Of course not, it's a continuous loop and the pump circulates the time
the demand is on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

To add to that, it circulates as long as the thermostat(s) calls for heat.
The water gives up its heat along the way and goes back to the boiler to be

It would be a good idea to have someone explain the workings to you.
Knowing how it works, you may be able to prevent a service call on a cold
winter night by knowing how to get the system up running again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How many GPM are you re-circulating?

I don't know. I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water.

Why would you assume that? In fact, the pump continues to run as long as the
thermostat is calling for heat.

So I figured in one cycle, the water in the fin tubing get replaced just once.

The obvious absurdity of that conclusion should have told you that your
premise was incorrect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

Yes, I concur with the complete absurdity of my conclusion. However,
there is one thing I still can't explain.

If fin tubing that contains less than a quart of water and a humongous
surface are can release the heat effectively in the amount of time it
takes the water to travel its length, how can a radiator with 20 times
as much water and less surface area release the heat effectively?

My calculation is this: If a radiator holds 20 times as much water, it
takes 20 times as long to replace the water, so it has 20 times as long
to release the heat. That would be just right if it had the same surface
area, but its surface area is much less (pretty good, but no fins). So I
must conclude that either the radiator or the fin tubing don't release
the heat effectively.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How much? An unlimited amount because it is continually replenished.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How many GPM are you re-circulating?

I don't know. I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water. So
I figured in one cycle, the water in the fin tubing get replaced just once.

The pump runs CONSTANTLY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

Who says it can (or can't)? As explained (very well, btw) by EdP, the
temperature of the water is held between 160F and 180F (his example, your
system may be set somewhat differently). If the water drops below the low
limit, the circulating pump will shut off, if above 180F the boiler will cycle
off.

My calculation is this: If a radiator holds 20 times as much water, it
takes 20 times as long to replace the water, so it has 20 times as long
to release the heat. That would be just right if it had the same surface
area, but its surface area is much less (pretty good, but no fins). So I
must conclude that either the radiator or the fin tubing don't release
the heat effectively.

How would you conclude that? Either is going to heat the room until the
thermostat is satisfied. In addition, the boiler can only add so much heat to
the water. If the radiators and the boiler aren't matched either the zones or
the boiler will cycle to maintain temperature, as long as the thermostat is
demanding heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam *wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How many GPM are you re-circulating?

I don't know. I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water. So
I figured in one cycle, the water in the fin tubing get replaced just once.

The pump runs CONSTANTLY

No.- Hide quoted text -

The pump runse constantly as long as any thermostat is calling for
heat, and the water temperature is above some minimu. This is a very
slow/gradual process, but you don't get the blast of cool/hot air
like you get with a hot air heating system. Because the fins are
copper, you get fairly rapid heat transfer from the water to the fins,
and thence into the air. But the ability to raise the temperature is
probably less than half that of a hot air system. I prefer the hot
water radiators for heat, but then you have to have a separate system
for air conditioning, so the air handling system is what I have always
had in my primary house. My second condo, in Colorado, has a hot
water system. It is great, especially because it does not cause as
much dust,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:08:05 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam *wrote:
[...]

That's what I said (though with fewer typos .

This is a very
slow/gradual process, but you don't get the blast of cool/hot air
like you get with a hot air heating system. Because the fins are
copper, you get fairly rapid heat transfer from the water to the fins,
and thence into the air. But the ability to raise the temperature is
probably less than half that of a hot air system.

That certainly depends on the amount of baseboard. The output of the boiler
and a hot-air furnace are similar.

I prefer the hot
water radiators for heat, but then you have to have a separate system
for air conditioning, so the air handling system is what I have always
had in my primary house. My second condo, in Colorado, has a hot
water system. It is great, especially because it does not cause as
much dust,

I had a hydronic system in my NY and VT homes. It was alright (hated oil). I
have a heat pump in this house (AL) and hate it. I call it "forced cold air
heat". I have to keep the temperature a good 5F higher than I did in VT and
it doesn't recover worth a damn, even though it never gets that cold outside
(delta-T is never more than 45F for more than an hour or two).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:43:36 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:14:49 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:00:41 GMT,
(Doug Miller)

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

And in a zoned system, the pump runs as long as ANY thermostat is
calling for heat.

*AND* the reservoir temperature is above the min-limit.

On the one system I maintain, the pump runs constantly when any heat
is called for, even when the temperature is below limit and the boiler
is fired. It only makes sense for it to work this way or both the
boiler fire and the pump would be constantly cycling - which is BAD
for efficiency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time I saw what was inside a baseboard
radiation: 3/4" copper tube with fins. I see how the fins can be
efficient at releasing the heat. But the volume of water is minuscule.
Over an 8' run, the amount of water in the tubing is

pi*(3/8)^2*8*12*0.0173160173 = 0.734398282 quarts

But how much heat can be contained in less than a quart of water?

Many thank in advance!

Sam

How many GPM are you re-circulating?

I don't know. I've always assumed (incorrectly?) that the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water. So
I figured in one cycle, the water in the fin tubing get replaced just once.
The pump runs CONSTANTLY

No.

YES. See previous post.

NO. Wrong.

You have it right in one of your posts, where you wrote "On the one system I
maintain, the pump runs constantly when any heat is called for, even when the
temperature is below limit and the boiler is fired."

The pump runs constantly *when*any*heat*is*called*for*. When the call for heat
ceases, the pump stops running.

That directly contradicts "The pump runs CONSTANTLY". It does nothing of the
kind. It runs until there is no longer a call for heat, then it shuts off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:12:39 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

The "runs constantly " was in response to"the pump stays on
just long enough to replace cold water in the system with hot water"

When it is heating - it runs constantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:57:12 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:12:39 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

I certainly said nothing of the kind.

When it is heating - it runs constantly.

I've never seen one that didn't cut out when (if) the low-limit was reached.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
When it is heating - it runs constantly.

I've never seen one that didn't cut out when (if) the low-limit was
reached.

It did not cut out on my old boiler. If the burner did not go on, the
circulator would go forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:12:40 -0500, "
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:57:12 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:12:39 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

This one is a veissmann - and the pump runs whenever heat is called
for, irregardless of the tank temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:49:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote
When it is heating - it runs constantly.

I've never seen one that didn't cut out when (if) the low-limit was
reached.

It did not cut out on my old boiler. If the burner did not go on, the
circulator would go forever.

It wasn't installed correctly. That's what the low-limit is for.