Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing paint

I bought a house & the previous owner got Yellow paint on the end of the
kitchen cabinets about 1/2" along the wall.
He probally never heard of masking tape.
Is there anyway to remove this paint without hurting the Veneered side of
the cabinet ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 9:30*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I bought a house & the previous owner got Yellow paint on the end of the
kitchen cabinets about 1/2" along the wall.
He probally never heard of masking tape.
Is there anyway to remove this paint without hurting the Veneered side of
the cabinet ?

Masking tape doesn't make up for shaky hands.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...3beec557ac582f

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 8:30*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I bought a house & the previous owner got Yellow paint on the end of the
kitchen cabinets about 1/2" along the wall.
He probally never heard of masking tape.
Is there anyway to remove this paint without hurting the Veneered side of
the cabinet ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Alcohol is a solvent of latex, if you are lucky its latex. I would try
wetting the paint with alcohol till its soft, it might take off the
finish on the cabinets so experiment. You might need to tape a wetted
rag over the paint for minutes to get it soft, if it doesnt get soft
its oil paint and what ever removes oil is guarnteed to remove the
cabinets finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2010 9:30 AM, desgnr wrote:
I bought a house & the previous owner got Yellow paint on the end of the
kitchen cabinets about 1/2" along the wall.
He probally never heard of masking tape.
Is there anyway to remove this paint without hurting the Veneered side
of the cabinet ?

Didn't you post this already, a month or two ago?
Same answer as last time- a SHARP razor scraper at a low angle, and try
to pop the paint off. If the cabinet finish is intact underneath, most
should come right off. Then a green scrubbie pad to remove any stubborn
spots, and touch up with a matching wipe-on gel stain, to make the scuff
marks go away.

Look at it this way- you won't make it any worse with this method, and
it may work 'good enough'. Try it before you try any solvents or such,
which can make it worse.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:24:26 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 9/16/2010 9:30 AM, desgnr wrote:
I bought a house & the previous owner got Yellow paint on the end of the
kitchen cabinets about 1/2" along the wall.
He probally never heard of masking tape.
Is there anyway to remove this paint without hurting the Veneered side
of the cabinet ?

Didn't you post this already, a month or two ago?
Same answer as last time- a SHARP razor scraper at a low angle, and try
to pop the paint off. If the cabinet finish is intact underneath, most
should come right off. Then a green scrubbie pad to remove any stubborn
spots, and touch up with a matching wipe-on gel stain, to make the scuff
marks go away.

Look at it this way- you won't make it any worse with this method, and
it may work 'good enough'. Try it before you try any solvents or such,
which can make it worse.

You're right, a razor.
I've cleaned up plenty of old paint that overlapped woodwork.
Half the time nobody would notice anyway but it made me feel good.
The typical utility razor knives work for some areas, but to do a good
job in other areas something like one of these kits this works better

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Qualit.../dp/B000UCWDPI

Allows more "surgical precision" and you won't nick the wood so much.
Touch up where you scraped with furniture "color pen" matched to your
finish and it's hard to tell there was ever paint there.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---- Hide quoted text -

Go to HD or a local paint or hardware store. They have products
specifically made for removing latex paint from just about any surface
without damaging it. I recently used it on the bumper of my Porsche
after it grazed the side of the house trim and got white paint on it.
It's a liquid, you just apply it, wait a few mins and the paint just
comes off with a towel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 8:17*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I tried a scrapper & it removed some of the veneer.

Removed the _veneer_?! Either you don't know what a veneer is, or you
were using the wrong tool and applying WAY too much pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:17*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I tried a scrapper & it removed some of the veneer.

Removed the veneer ?! Either you don't know what a veneer is, or you
were using the wrong tool and applying WAY too much pressure.

I'm not sure what a scrapper is, but I know for sure that a scraper is
the wrong tool. This is delicate surgery requiring a razor blade and a
light touch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:17:56 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

I tried a scrapper & it removed some of the veneer.

If you want to save your finish you basically have to "shave" the
paint off in thin layers with the type of "hobby" razor knife I
mentioned. It's tedious, and you can't rush it.

I haven't had any luck with chemicals removing paint from wood.
Metal grates? Yes. But really no.
Wife and I recently spent some hours removing many layers of paint
from metal wall registers I pulled when we repainted walls.
Spent about $15 on 2 quarts of different paint removers.
Thought they might be nickel finished and okay to look at.
Even with the proper soaking in remover, we still had to use picks
to remove paint from the louvers.

They were steel, and immediately started showing surface rust.
I spent maybe another 15 bucks on spray primer and paint, wire brushed
the rust and some remaining paint off, then painted them.
They look real pretty.
Then I found a vent sealed under the wainscotting I removed in the
dining room. No register.
Had to buy a 10" x 6" and found it at ACE.
$5.99.
We spent 30 bucks on paint remover and paint, probably 4-5 hours
of BS work on 3 registers we could have bought brand new for a total
of about 20 bucks.
Duh.

Think hard before using paint remover.
That oak door trim that somebody painted over?
If you price new oak trim you'll find it's probably cheaper than the
paint remover, and you'll have better wood.
Especially when you consider the labor using chemicals.
It "always" takes a lot of labor in my experience, and often stains
the wood.
Assuming you can do the work, replacing the wood isn't really hard for
a novice if you get a decent mitre saw, learn just a little, and take
your time.

On my old house I did strip layers of darkened varnish to refinish the
beautiful 4-piece oak crown molding, but that was special.
Even then the wood was almost as light as balsa from drying up over 70
years. I was shocked how it was lighter than even well-aged pine.
It was a real pain getting it off without splitting, and I had some.
I was younger then and wouldn't do it now.
Still pretty, but to me it wasn't oak any more.
But way too expensive to replace with the same effect.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2010 1:16 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:17 am, wrote:
I tried a scrapper& it removed some of the veneer.

Removed the veneer ?! Either you don't know what a veneer is, or you
were using the wrong tool and applying WAY too much pressure.

I'm not sure what a scrapper is, but I know for sure that a scraper is
the wrong tool. This is delicate surgery requiring a razor blade and a
light touch.

That is the kind of scraper I was referring to, the kind that holds a
single-edge blade. You have to be careful how you hold it so the corners
don't dig in, but they work well on paint drips for me. Unless kept
super-clean, the original cabinet finish probably has a thin coat of
cooking grease fumes on it, so that is the point where the paint pops
off the surface.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:17 am, wrote:
I tried a scrapper& it removed some of the veneer.

Removed the veneer ?! Either you don't know what a veneer is, or you
were using the wrong tool and applying WAY too much pressure.

I'm not sure what a scrapper is, but I know for sure that a scraper is
the wrong tool. This is delicate surgery requiring a razor blade and a
light touch.

That is the kind of scraper I was referring to, the kind that holds a
single-edge blade. You have to be careful how you hold it so the corners
don't dig in, but they work well on paint drips for me. Unless kept
super-clean, the original cabinet finish probably has a thin coat of
cooking grease fumes on it, so that is the point where the paint pops
off the surface.

I never liked those razor blade holders. Takes all the feedback out of
using a razor blade. They're single-edged so you can hold the non-sharp
edge by hand. Take advantage of all those nerve endings in your fingers.
Not sure whether OP was using that or a typical paint scraper which is
obviously much too violent of a tool for the job.

Removing paint from TREX tenplay Home Repair 4 August 31st 07 10:09 PM
help removing paint Larry and a Cat named Dub Home Repair 4 June 6th 07 05:13 AM
OT - removing paint stone Metalworking 1 October 23rd 05 06:37 AM
Removing Paint Leo Home Repair 1 September 15th 04 01:20 AM