Posted to alt.home.repair
desgnr[_2_] desgnr[_2_] is offline

Default Removing paint

I tried a scrapper & it removed some of the veneer.
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:24:26 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 9/16/2010 9:30 AM, desgnr wrote:
I bought a house & the previous owner got Yellow paint on the end of the
kitchen cabinets about 1/2" along the wall.
He probally never heard of masking tape.
Is there anyway to remove this paint without hurting the Veneered side
of the cabinet ?

Didn't you post this already, a month or two ago?
Same answer as last time- a SHARP razor scraper at a low angle, and try
to pop the paint off. If the cabinet finish is intact underneath, most
should come right off. Then a green scrubbie pad to remove any stubborn
spots, and touch up with a matching wipe-on gel stain, to make the scuff
marks go away.

Look at it this way- you won't make it any worse with this method, and
it may work 'good enough'. Try it before you try any solvents or such,
which can make it worse.

You're right, a razor.
I've cleaned up plenty of old paint that overlapped woodwork.
Half the time nobody would notice anyway but it made me feel good.
The typical utility razor knives work for some areas, but to do a good
job in other areas something like one of these kits this works better

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Qualit.../dp/B000UCWDPI

Allows more "surgical precision" and you won't nick the wood so much.
Touch up where you scraped with furniture "color pen" matched to your
finish and it's hard to tell there was ever paint there.

--Vic