Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting galvanized flashing

The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. So, what's the best way to paint
them. Special preparation required? Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. So, what's the best way to paint
them. Special preparation required? Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? -- H

It can be painted after it ages a bit. For best results use a quality metal
primer and paint.

Assuming it was just done, I would not paint before Spring of next year.

If you absolutely must do it sooner wash it down with a strong detergent and
rinse well. I usually use powder dish machine soap mixed strong enough to
feel slimy. I find it cheaper than a commercial product and just as
effective.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 5:35*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. *I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. *The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. *So, what's the best way to paint
them. *Special preparation required? *Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? *-- H

Are you sure it's galvanized and not mill finish aluminum? Not sure
where you are, but around here there is essentially no such thing as a
galvanized valley. Standard is aluminum for the budget minded, and
copper for those with some spare dough.

In any event, I'd think painting a valley and having it last would be
problematic. Factories use a baked on finish, and you can't replicate
that at, or on, your home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. So, what's the best way to paint
them. Special preparation required? Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? -- H

The first thing I was told was to wait at least 6 months before painting
galvanized metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in -
september.org:

Heathcliff wrote:
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. So, what's the best way to paint
them. Special preparation required? Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? -- H

The first thing I was told was to wait at least 6 months before painting
galvanized metal.

Rainwater is naturally slightly acidic on acount of its reaction with
natural CO2 in the atmosphere. Over time, I guess rainwater's mild
carbonic-acid content would etch zinc-washed steel sufficient to allow
proper paint adhesion.

But... automakers a while ago went through absolute hell trying to make
paint stick reliably to zinc-washed steel, so I'm also guessing rainwater
alone might not do it for you.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2010 9:03 PM, Tegger wrote:
"Bob wrote in -
september.org:

Heathcliff wrote:
[...]

When I was working on a Core of Engineers project some years ago, there
was a request to paint some of our galvanized conduit. The painters told
me the pipe would have to be primed with what they called "green wash".
It was my understanding that the stuff etched the zinc surface so the
paint would stick to it. I heard of this being recommended:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-po...1-p-15132.aspx

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3a9zoyd

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 10:35*pm, Heathcliff
wrote:
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. *I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. *The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. *So, what's the best way to paint
them. *Special preparation required? *Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? *-- H

You will either have to leave it to oxidise for a few months or paint
with an etch primer first. If you don't the paint will flake off.
This applies whether it's galv. or aluiminium.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 4:35*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. *I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. *The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. *So, what's the best way to paint
them. *Special preparation required? *Best kind of primer and paint?
Have you done this successfully? *-- H

I bet its aluminum, paint wont last long with all that water running
down it. There is prepainted aluminum in colors I would first ask the
roofer why he used silver, its to bad you paid him, maybe slipping a
smaller painted piece over the silver would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You could wash with vinegar, then prime with an acid etching
primer, then paint. The paint will flake off in less than a year,
then you can repaint and it will stay.

Or

Wait one year, then paint with any color you want. It will not
need primer, etc.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except
for one
thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually.
I'd
like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the
shingles. The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood"
or some
such, the flashing is shiny silver. So, what's the best way to
paint
them. Special preparation required? Best kind of primer and
paint?
Have you done this successfully? -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 11:51*am, "DanG" wrote:
You could wash with vinegar, then prime with an acid etching
primer, then paint. *The paint will flake off in less than a year,
then you can repaint and it will stay.

Or

Wait one year, then paint with any color you want. *It will not
need primer, etc.

What's your guess as to how long the paint will last in a valley?
That's an incredibly harsh environment. Expansion/contraction of the
metal from heat and cold, water scrubbing it with every rain, etc. I
just think painting it is ****ing up hill. A shedding-paint valley
will look worse than a bare metal one. The metal tones down with
exposure, so it's probably just some new-roof-shock syndrome. The OP
will get used to it in time...and without making a new hobby for
himself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:28:25 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Sep 11, 11:51*am, "DanG" wrote:
You could wash with vinegar, then prime with an acid etching
primer, then paint. *The paint will flake off in less than a year,
then you can repaint and it will stay.

Or

Wait one year, then paint with any color you want. *It will not
need primer, etc.

What's your guess as to how long the paint will last in a valley?
That's an incredibly harsh environment. Expansion/contraction of the
metal from heat and cold, water scrubbing it with every rain, etc. I
just think painting it is ****ing up hill. A shedding-paint valley
will look worse than a bare metal one. The metal tones down with
exposure, so it's probably just some new-roof-shock syndrome. The OP
will get used to it in time...and without making a new hobby for
himself.

When I was in college we had a mobile home with a galvanized steel "skirt".
Following the instructions we got at a paint store, we washed it with vinegar
and then painted with a paint specifically meant for galvanized steel. There
wasn't as much as a flake when we moved out, three years later. It looked the
same as when we painted it and a lot better than some of the far more
expensive aluminum the neighbors had.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 11, 11:51*am, "DanG" wrote:
[...]

expensive aluminum the neighbors had.- Hide quoted text -

When I installed the woodstove in the early 80s, some of the
transition pipe pieces at the ceiling were gavanised. I gave them a
thorough wash with vinegar and painted with spray cans of high temp
paint. They look just as good now as they did back then.

Harry K