Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Painting galvanized pipe ??

"jloomis" wrote in message
You need to etch the galvanized surface to paint. They do sell a product
that does this....
It is easy to apply, and when dry, you paint. I have used acetic acid and
or vinegar to etch the surface prior to painting.....
A primer may be good to use to.......
I know it is just a pipe, and who needs to deal with prep. Like one
comedian said, On the directions for painting on the can it says, area

must
be clean, dry, sanded, no peeling paint, no dirt, etc.......
Why am I painting? if that is what the surface looks like?
Anyway......
jloomis

Some people suggest allowing the galvanised metal to weather outdoors for a
few months.

http://www.bozzle.com/ps_Garagedoor.html

says..

"You must first apply an etching (or bonding primer). This can be either a
Zinc Phosphate primer or a Calcium Plumbate (not suitable for spray because
of lead content) primer. If it is difficult to find these an Acrylic or
Latex Metal primer should be sufficient for most jobs. "

Also see what Hammerite Special Metals Primer says on the lable.