Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Home Despot takes a turn for the worse.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:56:25 -0600, Robert Neville wrote:

BobR wrote:

What I love is the place that mobs you at the door when you come in
but can't be found anywhere when you really need something.

Probably because the person at the front of the store is part of the loss
control department and the people working the departments get charged to the
departments. Easiest way in the world for a department manager to improve
profitability is to reduce labor costs.

Do the "department managers" have control over their labor costs? My son was
"manager" of a software store. As the store manager he had no control over
labor costs. That was all done at the district level (where they didn't have
a clue). I wouldn't expect staffing decisions to be made at the department
level in a HD, rather at the store manager level, with a *lot* of direction
from above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 04:34:58 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 9/4/2010 12:18 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Most of the time I go into a store, I'm either just looking around or
can find what I want easier than I can explain it. In either of those
cases, I'd rather not be bothered with "can I help you?". Of course,
it's nice to have someone you can ask when you need to.

BTW, that's even you know just what you want but don't know what to
CALL it, such as "where are those bent metal things with screws you
can use to stop hose leaks?" (hose clamps).

And 'ya know, sometimes you don't know what those thingamajigs are until you
just "hang out" for a few minutes, quietly, and take stock of what kind of
parts they have. I wouldn't know half of what I know if I didn't have the
opportunity to just look at things and make a mental note of their
construction and/or purpose.

Maybe it's just me, but I used to find a lot of entertainment as a boy
perusing the shelves of the local (wooden floored) hardware store.

Jon

It ain't just you- it runs in my family as well, and probably for most
of the regulars on here too. Even now as a grownup, I can waste way too
much time hanging out in hardware/tool aisles, like a kid in a toy store.

That's what my wife calls the woodworking stores; "stores for big-boy toys"
(not for big boy-toys. We found one in Atlanta that's really nice. It's
not the typical chain store[*], rather looks like an old wood-floored hardware
store. She even likes looking at the tools in that store while I'm drooling
over the toys. ;-)
[*] There are four woodworking stores we make the rounds of when we're in
Atlanta, every couple of months. The others are typical strip-mall
store-fronts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 07:03:34 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2010 12:18 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I used to find a lot of entertainment as a
boy perusing the shelves of the local (wooden floored) hardware
store.

It ain't just you- it runs in my family as well, and probably for most
of the regulars on here too. Even now as a grownup, I can waste way
too much time hanging out in hardware/tool aisles, like a kid in a
toy store.

I live near a hardware store like that. Same wide planked creaky
wooden floors. They even have a counter where you can bring
your knives/tools/whatever to be sharpened. Bins of nails and screws.
All kinds of stuff, I could hang out for quite a while. I buy what I can
there because I don't want to see the place go, not that they're
hurting for customers.

It's actually pretty easy for stores like that to compete with the BORGs.
Often it's the best news that they can get if a BORG opens right next to them.
The same reason that furniture stores and car dealerships tend to coagulate.
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 19:36:34 -0500, "K" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'm in HD's home town and have watched them for quite some time.

I've noticed that HD is going through a new phase. They had been going
through one of being more friendly but not any better otherwise.

Now they seem indifferent, event resentful of taking time out to
help customers. Department Managers would rather not be bothered, no
one seems to care.

It's gotten intolerable to get anything done in a HD. Now, that
isn't all stores, but most.

I think they are subcontracting out some kind of customer service
management and this has destroyed what little company spirit the
employees had.

At any rate, from my view, it looks like a death spiral. Anyone else
notice this?

I went to a Lowes today and immediately felt better. I'm just about
out of patience with the Despot.

Jeff

I haven't noticed that really, and there are three local HD stores. Someone
always mets me at the entrance and asks if I know where to go, etc. Most
times I do, but I was looking for a floor squeegee a while back, and he
walked me right to them. They still have some of their knowledgeable
old-timers, and last year I was even able to find a breaker for my
Federal-Pacific box.

I've noticed a big regional difference between HDs. Not so much with Lowes,
for some reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

store-fronts.- Hide quoted text -

I took my wife with me to Rocklers recently, found everything I was
looking for, checked out and then spent another 1/2 hour trying to get
her out of the place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Most of the time I go into a store, I'm either just looking around or
can find what I want easier than I can explain it. In either of those
cases, I'd rather not be bothered with "can I help you?". Of course,
it's nice to have someone you can ask when you need to.

If I'm on a business mission to buy something weird (to make a free-standing
medieval pavilion, to wire up an anime costume made entirely out of leather
belts, etc.), then I go to HD, because there are NEVER any employees to
bother you in mine. I just wonder around various departments looking at all
sorts of things until something designed for a completely different purpose
jumps up and yells, "Over here, I'm what you need! I can help you make it
work!"

If, on the other hand, I'm looking to buy something to repair or improve my
home, I go to Lowe's, because they have a lot of very helpful people who
smile, but don't bother you. They wait until you have a question, and they
can usually answer it. And the answer is almost always correct! Ok, so the
store's less than a year old, but still.

The local Wayside hardware is great, but only open 10-4, M-S. The Ace
Hardware is good as well, with slightly better hours, but still usually
closed when I need something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2010 3:39 PM, BobR wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

She's a keeper.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:39:08 -0700 (PDT), BobR
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

Rockler's, at least the one in Atlanta, is really strange. I like browsing in
the store but I rarely buy much. I spend a *lot* more in the Woodcraft (and
since I found it, Highland Woodworking). In fact, the ratio is pretty close
to my Internet purchases; very little from Rockler and quite a bit from
Woodcraft. I really don't know why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 4:37*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2010 3:39 PM, BobR wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

OH YES! And I have kept her for over 35 years now.

Did I mention that she also helps me and supports my longest running
project building an airplane? She does insist that I get a few things
done around the house though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 5:04*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:39:08 -0700 (PDT), BobR
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

Woodcraft. *I really don't know why.- Hide quoted text -

I know what you mean but I have bought some things there that I
haven't been able to find elsewhere or at least couldn't find the
quality I wanted elsewhere. Bought their dovetail jig, router bits,
and some specialize jigs for cabinet making that were of much better
quality. I also found the best selection of drawer guides there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2010 6:04 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:39:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

I'm unfamiliar with Rockler's but I've known Highland Hardware before
day one. I was there first!

I've been doing all my general hardware shopping he

http://eastpoint.doitbest.com/home.aspx

One of the last of the real hardware stores with knowledgeable help
that actually know their merchandise. All the standard stuff that you
get blank looks at at HD, they have no problem with. The owner, rightly
so, says he can only compete on service. It's kind of like going in
Rosing to buy paint. They don't waste your time and they don't sell you
stuff you will regret. And they stay very busy because of that. When you
only think price, the cheap comes out expensive.

I still miss having a real lumberyard nearby...

Jeff

In fact, the ratio is pretty close
to my Internet purchases; very little from Rockler and quite a bit from
Woodcraft. I really don't know why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote the following:
Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

Especially when the floors squeaked.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote the following:
On 9/3/2010 10:26 AM, willshak wrote:
snip

I went to a Lowes today and immediately felt better. I'm just about
out of patience with the Despot.

Maybe you 'felt better' because the AC was set a little cooler at Lowes?

No.

I felt better because I knew I could get help if I needed it. I knew
the return I had would be no problem.

I only come to expect problems from the Despot anymore, and they
don't disappoint.

Jeff

Wow, Despot!! That is so kewl!
What does despot mean?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:19:13 -0400, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 9/4/2010 6:04 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:39:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

I just found Highland on our trip In April (her birthday). I've been back on
business trips three times in the last two months. ;-)

I've been doing all my general hardware shopping he

http://eastpoint.doitbest.com/home.aspx

Cool! I haven't been down in that area of town. Our next trip is planned for
the third weekend in October. There is some sort of craft fair in Stone
Mountain, or something. I think we'll spend a couple of nights then (found a
great, cheap, place to stay in the Perimeter area).

One of the last of the real hardware stores with knowledgeable help
that actually know their merchandise. All the standard stuff that you
get blank looks at at HD, they have no problem with. The owner, rightly
so, says he can only compete on service. It's kind of like going in
Rosing to buy paint. They don't waste your time and they don't sell you
stuff you will regret. And they stay very busy because of that. When you
only think price, the cheap comes out expensive.

I still miss having a real lumberyard nearby...

I've missed that for years. I can't remember the last decent one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:06*am, willshak wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote the following:

On 9/3/2010 10:26 AM, willshak wrote:
snip

I went to a Lowes today and immediately felt better. I'm just about
out of patience with the Despot.

Maybe you 'felt better' because the AC was set a little cooler at Lowes?

* No.

* I felt better because I knew I could get help if I needed it. I knew
the return I had would be no problem.

* I only come to expect problems from the Despot anymore, and they
don't disappoint.

* Jeff

Wow, Despot!! That is so kewl!
What does despot mean?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Think George Bush or Saddam Hussien.
Oh, sorry. Bush was a ****pot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 4:03*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2010 12:18 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I used to find a lot of entertainment as a
boy perusing the shelves of the local (wooden floored) hardware
store.

It ain't just you- it runs in my family as well, and probably for most
of the regulars on here too. Even now as a grownup, I can waste way
too much time hanging out in hardware/tool aisles, like a kid in a
toy store.

I live near a hardware store like that. *Same wide planked creaky
wooden floors. *They even have a counter where you can bring
your knives/tools/whatever to be sharpened. *Bins of nails and screws.
All kinds of stuff, I could hang out for quite a while. *I buy what I can
there because I don't want to see the place go, not that they're
hurting for customers. *

nancy

We have one of those here in Santa Monica as well. Busy Bee. Amazing
what they get into a small space. And knowledgeable staff.
Anybody around this area remember Gerald's in Westchester? They had
these great olde-tymers who really knew their stuff. Sigh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

BORG = Big old retail giant also know as a big box store. Lowes, HD,
Wal-Mart

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 5:25 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 14:25:36 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Big Orange Retail Giant, a.k.a. Home Depot, but Lowes and similar often get
lumped in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 11:06*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 3, 11:58*am, Frank wrote:

On Sep 3, 9:05*am, keith wrote:

On Sep 3, 2:14*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 3, 6:23*am, Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

It's hard to be cheerful when your job's in jeopardy...............

Is that why you Europeons are such an ugly lot these days?- Hide quoted text -

Not true. *Those on the main land look OK.- Hide quoted text -

I've used both lowes and hd for many years. *They are what they are.
I did notice that hd was doing a bit more of that "greeter" strategy
for a while and that seems to have dropped off a bit. *I'm in Raleigh
NC and we have not been hit real hard by the house market collapse.
Ours didn't go up like crazy before it either. *So that might be why I
have not noticed much different.

As to the 4x8 verses 2x2 drywall you need to keep in mind that drywall
prices are practically all material handling costs. *The raw
components probably don't add up to 50c a sheet. *If you are an
infrequent diy'r and need a small piece of drywall then paying $6 for
a 2x2 instead of $8 for a 4x8 that you will have to fool around with
to get home and then throw most of it away anyway looks pretty
attractive. *Bottom line prices are market driven.

Yes but the material handling costs as you call it are not going to be
much different per sq foot for a box of 2x2's, and you don't need to
close the aisle down to restock. At Menards they will help you cut up
a 4x8 to whatever size you want, and will also sell you a 4x4 off-cut
(from pieces that get damaged in transit) for a $1 a sheet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 11:58*am, Frank wrote:

On Sep 3, 9:05*am, keith wrote:

On Sep 3, 2:14*am, harry wrote:

[...]

Some HDs sell 2'x4' or 4'x4' offcuts cheap, as available. I've used
them for patching.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 9:10 AM, keith wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:24 am, wrote:
On Sep 3, 11:06 am, wrote:

On Sep 3, 11:58 am, wrote:

On Sep 3, 9:05 am, wrote:

On Sep 3, 2:14 am, wrote:

On Sep 3, 6:23 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

I've been looking for some decent 1/4" ply to level my kitchen floor
with no luck. And there it was, a little water damaged but still OK, 2'
x 4' for $0.51 at HD. Fit in my car too.

It looks to me that HD has taken a hard line on cutting costs and
selling cheap. I wonder sometimes about the staff training, it looks
like they cut corners there too.

Not that I haven't seen good HDs, but the vast majority in their home
town, don't understand or know how to handle good stuff. They sell crap
brands with little regard to their reputation. And their employees don't
know the merchandise.

Jeff