Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electronic Kenmore refrigerator not working, what does this sign mean

On Aug 31, 5:24*pm, Ignoramus20906 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
20906.invalid wrote:
I have an electronic Kenmore refrigerator 596.50013100. I bought it
from a private party over a year ago and it has been working great
until now. It seems very well made, overall.

Yesterday it started beeping and displaying a strange trouble signal:

* * * * *http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Kenmore-Trouble.jpg

It is right above the word "Kenmore", is red and looks like a crossed
lock and an exclamation.

The temperature in the unit has been rising since then and clearly, it
is not cooling anything. Right now both freezer and fridge are at 46
degrees F.

I tried calling Kenmore, but could only speak to dummies who are
forbidden to give any diagnostics.

My question is WTF does this sign mean? It is meant to tell me
something.

Thanks

I'm confused, if its electronic then it would be thermo-electric, and
not have a condenser, evaporator, or compressor. But as you have
indicated it has these. So I'm guessing the electronic, is the
electronic thermostat only. You indicated the compressor is hot.
Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not
trip a clicks-on switch. And start relay is now a misnomer as these
have been replaced with thermistors. Most likely this is the faulted
device. There should be a wiring diagram on the back side of this
refrigerator, hope it does. If it's a defrost problem the diagram
would show this circuit.
ignator
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

20906.invalid wrote:
[...]

Electronic control panel with pretty buttons.

You indicated the compressor is hot.

Yes.

Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not
trip a clicks-on switch. And start relay is now a misnomer as these
have been replaced with thermistors.

Yes, there is a thermistor puck inside the relay assembly.

Most likely this is the faulted device. There should be a wiring
diagram on the back side of this refrigerator, hope it does. If
it's a defrost problem the diagram would show this circuit. ignator

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/31/2010 10:47 PM, Ignoramus20906 wrote:

Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not
trip a clicks-on switch. And start relay is now a misnomer as these
have been replaced with thermistors.

Yes, there is a thermistor puck inside the relay assembly.

I had the same problem recently, its the overload relay, actually
thermistors as previously noted.

This thread is for a different model but will help

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...ompressor.html

Your part would seem to be:-

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail...S ourceCode=7

replacement fixed mine , still running 12 months later.

JC
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-01, Archon wrote:
On 8/31/2010 10:47 PM, Ignoramus20906 wrote:

Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not
trip a clicks-on switch. And start relay is now a misnomer as these
have been replaced with thermistors.

Yes, there is a thermistor puck inside the relay assembly.

I had the same problem recently, its the overload relay, actually
thermistors as previously noted.

This thread is for a different model but will help

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...ompressor.html

Your part would seem to be:-

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail...S ourceCode=7

replacement fixed mine , still running 12 months later.

JC

Archon,

I hope fervently that you are right. I bought those parts:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...art_id=4013414 Part Number: AP4074064
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...art_id=4074064 Part Number: AP4013414

Shipped from CA to IL, I will probably get them on Monday. I am very
anxious.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 10:43*pm, Ignoramus20906 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-09-01, Archon wrote:

On 8/31/2010 10:47 PM, Ignoramus20906 wrote:

Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not
trip a clicks-on switch. *And start relay is now a misnomer as these
have been replaced with thermistors.

Yes, there is a thermistor puck inside the relay assembly.

I had the same problem recently, its the overload relay, actually
thermistors as previously noted.

This thread is for a different model but will help

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...42-kenmore-sxs...

Your part would seem to be:-

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail...7740&imgID=3&P...

* *http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...d=4013414*Part Number: AP4074064 *
* *http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...d=4074064*Part Number: AP4013414 *

Shipped from CA to IL, I will probably get them on Monday. I am very
anxious.

I didn't see any response to Bill's suggestion about the freezer not
defrosting (I have had this happen-timer can also fail while
defrosting, heat the freezer, defrost everything and melt plastic!)