Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glue for Parquet Repair?

Fixing a parquet floor after a small flood. Can't find anything
labeled "parquet glue" in the stores, staff gives me funny looks when
I mention parquet.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking construction adhesive (PL2000 sort of
thing) if all else fails.

TIA,
Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 8:02*pm, red wrote:
Fixing a parquet floor after a small flood. *Can't find anything
labeled "parquet glue" in the stores, staff gives me funny looks when
I mention parquet.

Any suggestions? * I'm thinking construction adhesive (PL2000 sort of
thing) if all else fails.

TIA,
Red

Are you for real ?

If you don't know what kind of glue to use on a wood floor, then you
have
no business doing anything with/to it...

Have you let the floor dry out completely by means of using
professional
strength dehumidifiers ? Until the wood gets back to its normal
percentage
of moisture content, you will not be able to glue it back together as
the
pieces of the puzzle won't fit in the spaces they need to go into...

Honestly depending on how bad the damage is it is better to replace
your
entire floor than try fussing around with gluing it back together, as
if it
came apart, it is also likely water-stained as well...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Aug 27, 7:47*pm, Evan wrote:
On Aug 27, 8:02*pm, red wrote:

[...]

He,s probaly right but if you really want to go to Mapei flooring site
sorry do not have the link handy, hope I was politer about it
Posted to alt.home.repair

red wrote:
Fixing a parquet floor after a small flood. Can't find anything
labeled "parquet glue" in the stores, staff gives me funny looks when
I mention parquet.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking construction adhesive (PL2000 sort of
thing) if all else fails.

I'd go for carpet cement. It'll stay pliable and allow the wood to move
slightly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 8:47*pm, Evan wrote:
On Aug 27, 8:02*pm, red wrote:

snip

Are you for real ?

If you don't know what kind of glue to use on a wood floor, then you
have
no business doing anything with/to it...

Have you let the floor dry out completely by means of using
professional
strength dehumidifiers ? *Until the wood gets back to its normal
percentage
of moisture content, you will not be able to glue it back together as
the
pieces of the puzzle won't fit in the spaces they need to go into...

Honestly depending on how bad the damage is it is better to replace
your
entire floor than try fussing around with gluing it back together, as
if it
came apart, it is also likely water-stained as well...

~~ Evan

Well, it is only my opinion, but I seem to be real enough. Issues
with the corn flakes this morning?

When I laid the floor 15 years ago, I used a product clearly labeled
"glue for parquet flooring". No such thing on the shelves now.
Figured somebody in this group does these things more often than once
every 15 years.

All the water damage has been cut out, new OSB laid, saved some tile
bundles from the original install (still in the original packaging) so
the finish matches, etc. Not sure why I'd want to replace 600 ft2 of
flooring vs a 30 ft2 patch.

Red. Really.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 5:08*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
red wrote:
Fixing a parquet floor after a small flood. *Can't find anything
labeled "parquet glue" in the stores, staff gives me funny looks when
I mention parquet.

Any suggestions? * I'm thinking construction adhesive (PL2000 sort of
thing) if all else fails.

I'd go for carpet cement. It'll stay pliable and allow the wood to move
slightly.

I'll look into that, thanks. Also looked at glue (mastic?) for
tileboard (barkerboard).

I suppose any adhesive that's applied with a notched trowel would
"work".

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

red wrote:
On Aug 28, 5:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
red wrote:
Fixing a parquet floor after a small flood. Can't find anything
labeled "parquet glue" in the stores, staff gives me funny looks
when I mention parquet.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking construction adhesive (PL2000 sort of
thing) if all else fails.

I'd go for carpet cement. It'll stay pliable and allow the wood to
move slightly.

I'll look into that, thanks. Also looked at glue (mastic?) for
tileboard (barkerboard).

I suppose any adhesive that's applied with a notched trowel would
"work".

Heh! No. I just applied thinset with a notched trowel...