mrcomp_ca

Default Ughhh - REpair bad glue up

HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4"
X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a
little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on
TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another
way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a
marker line on a ruler.

tom

HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4"
X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a
little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on

TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another
way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a
marker line on a ruler.

Plow a small groove, and fill? Planed well, and you'd probably be the
only one to notice! Tom

John

Maybe route out a bit and put in a dutchman patch/inlay of the same
wood, if done well will be nearly invisible - especially if you pick
and choose the inlay wood carefully to match the grain

John

On 22 Jun 2005 17:51:56 -0700, "tom" wrote:

HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4"
X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a
little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on

TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another
way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a
marker line on a ruler.

Plow a small groove, and fill? Planed well, and you'd probably be the
only one to notice! Tom

mrcomp_ca

Thanks, I think I'll try to patch in a piece of the same. Thanks again
for quick responses.

George E. Cawthon

mrcomp_ca wrote:
HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4"
X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a
little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on
TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another
way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a
marker line on a ruler.

A pencil line width? put some white glue on the
gap and sand (about 180 grit). The line will
probably disappear.
mrcomp_ca

I think I'll try this first. If it doesn't work I can always try the
patch. Thanks

Patrick Conroy

"mrcomp_ca" wrote in news:1119487644.235809.239760
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another
way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a
marker line on a ruler.

Happened to me too a few months ago. Just one leg. The others were fine.
I planed off some shavings, adjusting the cut until I got the right
thickness. The a little glue and slid the shaving in. Didn't eliminate it,
but did reduce its visibility.
nospambob

I just "finished" a hard maple breadboard using the white glue and
sanding dust. Thin gaps in breadboard end no longer there.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:43:18 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

mrcomp_ca wrote:
HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4"
X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a
little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on
TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another
way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a
marker line on a ruler.

A pencil line width? put some white glue on the
gap and sand (about 180 grit). The line will
probably disappear.

mrcomp_ca

nospambob wrote:
I just "finished" a hard maple breadboard using the white glue and
sanding dust. Thin gaps in breadboard end no longer there.

I'm going to try this tonight...how tacky do I let the glue get? Thanks

nospambob

Sure would be helpful if the what you're going to try was included!

On 23 Jun 2005 04:17:02 -0700, "mrcomp_ca" wrote:

I think I'll try this first. If it doesn't work I can always try the
patch. Thanks

mrcomp_ca

Thanks George and Bob, The glue and paper worked very well. The line
is all but gone! Thanka again.

George E. Cawthon

mrcomp_ca wrote:
Thanks George and Bob, The glue and paper worked very well. The line
is all but gone! Thanka again.

Glad it worked. The first time I tried it, I was
amazed at how well it filled in small discrepancies.
mrcomp_ca

I guess it's a little late to ask, but do I have to be worried about
how a finish will be affected? I'm assuming not, but better to ask. I
have yet to decide how this piece will be finished.

Patriarch

"mrcomp_ca" wrote in news:1119609346.933353.264110
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I guess it's a little late to ask, but do I have to be worried about
how a finish will be affected? I'm assuming not, but better to ask. I
have yet to decide how this piece will be finished.

Well, the glue won't take a stain, or absorb finishing oils.

Take some of your scrap, and try to replicate what you did, and figure out
how to finish the piece to your satisfaction. There are a number of
reasonable approaches.

Patriarch

mrcomp_ca

Will do. Thanks

nospambob

Would help if what you're responding to was included!

On 25 Jun 2005 05:30:56 -0700, "mrcomp_ca" wrote:

Will do. Thanks