Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Wireless intercom system? ? ?

We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The doorbell/intercom
system, which might be original, is giving endless trouble.

We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one phone (or speaker)
at the entrance which would enable visitors to announce themselves to the
resident they are visiting.

I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The
doorbell/intercom system, which might be original, is giving endless
trouble.

We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one phone (or
speaker) at the entrance which would enable visitors to announce
themselves to the resident they are visiting.

I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most appreciated.

*You can do a search for commercial, multi-location and multi-family
wireless intercoms and see what comes up. There are contractors, electrical
and/or just low voltage that specialize in this type of work. Check the
yellow pages, talk to property managers, ask around at supply companies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The
doorbell/intercom system, which might be original, is giving endless
trouble.

We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one phone (or
speaker) at the entrance which would enable visitors to announce
themselves to the resident they are visiting.

I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most appreciated.

We have a wireless one from Radio Shack. Works OK. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Ray typed:
We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The
doorbell/intercom system, which might be original, is
giving endless trouble.
We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one
phone (or speaker) at the entrance which would enable
visitors to announce themselves to the resident they are
visiting.
I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most
appreciated.

Radio Shack believe it or not, IFF they have people with any real experience
even better. X10.com has lots of good stuff but you have to watch and read
carefully what you're buying. I have lots of X10 stuff and love it!

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 20:10:17 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
Ray typed:
We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The
doorbell/intercom system, which might be original, is
giving endless trouble.
We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one
phone (or speaker) at the entrance which would enable
visitors to announce themselves to the resident they are
visiting.
I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most
appreciated.

Radio Shack believe it or not, IFF they have people with any real experience
even better. X10.com has lots of good stuff but you have to watch and read
carefully what you're buying. I have lots of X10 stuff and love it!

Careful. They are one of the worst spammers on the planet. If you don't like
spam, steer wide around X10.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 7:42*pm, "Ray" wrote:
We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The doorbell/intercom
system, which might be original, is giving endless trouble.

We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one phone (or speaker)
at the entrance which would enable visitors to announce themselves to the
resident they are visiting.

I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most appreciated.

ROFL...

So have the OLD system checked out by an electrician or telecomm
company that deals with such installs... They can tell you whether it
is your devices which are failing due to age, or if it is your
wiring...

A wireless system is NOT the way to go... Especially if you have a
door release you are operating...

You need to look in the yellow pages for a commercial electrician
who deals in controls and such systems, a telecomm company,
or a decent professional locksmith who can refer you to a good
local installer in your area for a new intercom system...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:30:18 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[snip]

Careful. They are one of the worst spammers on the planet. If you
don't like spam, steer wide around X10.com.

Yes, although X10 products can be good. Find someplace else to buy them.

Also, avoid wireless (RF) when possible. It's more complex (and so less
reliable), and less secure.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is
always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law."
-- Thomas Paine

High power wireless intercom [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 February 6th 06 04:07 PM
Wireless intercom boden Home Repair 7 January 5th 06 08:55 PM
fm wireless intercom interferes with touch lamps 127.0.0.1 Home Repair 1 January 24th 05 03:21 AM
Wireless Intercom work for Detached Shop? Ken Vaughn Woodworking 29 December 27th 04 07:56 PM
a home intercom system Power Cat Home Repair 10 October 22nd 04 05:45 PM