Posted to alt.home.repair

Default questions about concrete

I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one side
is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with
aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in wheel
barrow. how and when to seal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:12:27 +0000, SgtBilco wrote:

I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one
side is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab
with aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in
Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in
wheel barrow. how and when to seal?

http://snipurl.com/10rp6c

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr.../Concrete/how-
to-pour-a-concrete-sidewalk/Step-By-Step
Posted to alt.home.repair

how do i hold expansion material in place? glue in place?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 5:05*pm, wrote:
how do i hold expansion material in place? glue in place?

Is that you "stryped"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
how do i hold expansion material in place? glue in place?

Anything that works for you. Once the concrete fills the forms nothing else
will be needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one
side
is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with
aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in
wheel
barrow. how and when to seal?

As others calculated you are in for a bunch of bags. I mixed up 43 of the
80 lb bags to fill a hole about 3 feet each way. I did rent a mixer for
about $ 40 to do the job. It was a small mixer but that was what I wanted.
You can spend a lot of time doing the mix. Think about 5 minuits per bag.

Small jobs are a pain to do. You spend a lot of time and can almost get it
delivered for what it cost to mix up a yard of cement. Most places want a
big delivery charge or they want to deliver several yards. I could have had
the stuff delivered already mixed for almost what I payed for it. Also you
need to transport all those bags home. It may require several trips with a
truck. I hope you have a strong back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one side
is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with
aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in wheel
barrow. how and when to seal?

Lordy that is a lot of work to neaten up a dead space. I'd just put down
landscape fabric to stop the weeds, and lotsa gravel to cover. If you
put a slab there, where is the rain water gonna go? I presume into the
shed is not a desired path. Shed slab and house foundation will move
relative to each other as seasons change, so you will either get cracks
in your new slab, or gaps at the edges.

That shed is way too close to the house, by the way. Did you do it, or
did previous owner? And does you insurance company know? They may not
want you keeping gas cans and such in there, since if it lights off, it
will likely spread to the house as well.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

this project is open on one end only back side buts against basement left
side against crawl space right side is "shed" well not really a shed...I
just used that word because I don't know what else to call it...it is 3
sided alum structure 11' x 12' attached to back of garage....has 4 large
windows on each wall...walls are about 7' tall. it sits on slab that slopes
away from garage (previous owner put it in I guess, for what purpose I do
not know) .... the new concrete will follow slope of "shed" slab so water
will run out the open end....

I want to put in concrete to clean up and make more functional ....right now
this area is getting way to wet and causing problems in basement. was so wet
it has taken 4 weeks to dry. I have kept covered with plastic when it
rains and not covered rest of time.....this area gets almost no sun and lack
of air circulation has taken very long to dry out.... the way roof's come
together result in too much water.....also wind blown rain is the cause.
so I need to do something...

I have just completed the prep work...and is all formed and ready to go...I
decided to extend it out a few more feed past "shed" so about 50 square
feet.........according to Quickrete calculator
http://www.quikrete.com/Calculator/Main.asp for 4" slab I need either
38 60 lb bags or 29 80 lb bags..... I just came from home depot and 60 lb
bags are 2.65 per bag and 80 lb bags 3.74 per bag............so is actually
cheaper to buy smaller bags...which is what I did.

I also picked up expansion joints....I have helper to mix concrete in
wheelbarrow tomorrow, so I don't think it will be that big of a job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

harry wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:12 pm, wrote:
I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one side
is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with
aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in wheel
barrow. how and when to seal?

The purpose of expansion joints is (apart from expansion) to forstall
any cracking that might appear in later years. So From what you say,
I would have a joint half way down your path across the width. You can
just use a bit of 1/2" wood (full depth of concrete) secured in place
before you pour the concrete. Or (less desirably) you could cut the
slab afterwards with a disc cutter.
You might consider putting bits of mesh in too, always helps.

Under what circumstances can you use wood as a separator?
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
how do i hold expansion material in place? glue in place?

Anything that works for you. Once the concrete fills the forms nothing else
will be needed.

Is there ever concern about the wood swelling or rotting?
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uno" wrote in message
harry wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

Anytime you want to. The wood or the asphalt based stuff will both rot out
in 10 years or less. Treated wood might outlast the asphalt based stuff.
But it really is a toss up.

Colbyt