Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default questions about concrete

"Uno" wrote in message
harry wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:12 pm, wrote:
I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one
side
is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with
aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in
wheel
barrow. how and when to seal?

The purpose of expansion joints is (apart from expansion) to forstall
any cracking that might appear in later years. So From what you say,
I would have a joint half way down your path across the width. You can
just use a bit of 1/2" wood (full depth of concrete) secured in place
before you pour the concrete. Or (less desirably) you could cut the
slab afterwards with a disc cutter.
You might consider putting bits of mesh in too, always helps.

Under what circumstances can you use wood as a separator?
--
Uno

Anytime you want to. The wood or the asphalt based stuff will both rot out
in 10 years or less. Treated wood might outlast the asphalt based stuff.
But it really is a toss up.

Colbyt