Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Thumping (American Standard Dual Flush 4035)

I installed the American Standard dual flush 6/3 liter 4035 toilet
just over a year ago. Ever since day one it hammers when the bowl is
filled and it also sounds like another hammer when just after the
small flush button is released not the large flush? Is this a case of
design as no other toilets in the house makes such noise.
Ps American Standard won't return my email.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:10:05 -0700, james wrote:

I installed the American Standard dual flush 6/3 liter 4035 toilet just
over a year ago. Ever since day one it hammers when the bowl is filled
and it also sounds like another hammer when just after the small flush
button is released not the large flush? Is this a case of design as no
other toilets in the house makes such noise. Ps American Standard won't
return my email.

Thanks

Sounds like a plumbing problem in the water supply. it's called Water
Hammer. Google it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know it sound like water hammering, but why just this toilet and not
the other ones in the house? Read all my post.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:47:28 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:10:05 -0700, james wrote:

I installed the American Standard dual flush 6/3 liter 4035 toilet just
over a year ago. Ever since day one it hammers when the bowl is filled
and it also sounds like another hammer when just after the small flush
button is released not the large flush? Is this a case of design as no
other toilets in the house makes such noise. Ps American Standard won't
return my email.

Thanks

Sounds like a plumbing problem in the water supply. it's called Water
Hammer. Google it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 1:05*am, Tony wrote:
wrote:
I know it sound like water hammering, but why just this toilet and not
the other ones in the house? *Read all my post.

Different fill valves operate differently. *You may have one that uses
the water pressure to help close the valve quickly. *The ones that
slowly come to a stop won't cause the water hammer, but they too can
have their own problems.

Or that toilet is on a different branch of the water supply line.
Water hammer happens when the pipes bang against something, usually
the wall studs. If the other branches are tight there may be no
hammer.

One thing that might help is to drain the system, hoping that any
hammer suppressors will also drain.