Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do You Cut Railroad Ties?

Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I get about
3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become uselessly dull. Forget a
hand saw or axe. Is there a better way to cut those things? I have a lot
more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Bandsaw would be my choice? Chop saw or table saw if you want to lift them
or make stands or maybe you have stands. Recip saw with a good 6 inch
blade perhaps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-21, Abby Brown wrote:

uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Can one rent a small lumber mill with band or honkin' big circular
saw blades?

Here's some tips. I'd look for the biggest cutoff saw I could find
and buy a carbide blade.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=59153

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Henchman" wrote in message

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I get
about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become uselessly dull.
Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better way to cut those things? I
have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Bandsaw would be my choice? Chop saw or table saw if you want to lift
them or make stands or maybe you have stands. Recip saw with a good 6
inch blade perhaps?

Didn't read right the first time. You are taking apart a wall so the chop
saw and table saw are out. I wonder if there are carbide tipped chainsaw
chains that can handle grit?? Otherwise you are stuck with a recip. saw or
jigsaw maybe. I don't think circular saw can cut more than 2 or 3 inches
thick can they?

Recip saw would be my weapon of choice. Blades are cheap, power is
plentiful and who cares if the cuts are square...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:51:53 -0400, Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

How are they held together? Can you split them apart using a sawzall
between the ties? How about a sledgehammer, jackhammer, chain and
truck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Perhaps a dumb question, but why are you cutting them? Are you reusing
them for something else? Or is this just to make them easier to handle?
A couple big prybars, and a couple big teenagers, should make it
possible to pull them up off whatever pins are holding them together. A
sawzall with metal-cutting demo blades and/or an angle grinder with a
cutoff wheel, could cut the rebar or threaded rod between or above the
ties, to make the lifting and prying easier.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I get about
3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become uselessly dull. Forget a
hand saw or axe. Is there a better way to cut those things? I have a lot
more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Years ago I built a retaining wall with railroad ties and use a chainsaw to
cut them to fit.
I did not have any trouble doing so.

But I have to ask. And not snicker because I have seen this happen- is it
possible the chain is on backwards?

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I get
about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become uselessly dull.
Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better way to cut those things? I
have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Years ago I built a retaining wall with railroad ties and use a chainsaw
to cut them to fit.
I did not have any trouble doing so.

But I have to ask. And not snicker because I have seen this happen- is it
possible the chain is on backwards?

If he is cutting down a wall I bet he is hitting stone or grit and that is
killing his blade

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 8:51*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Two options he

(1.) You can dig down behind the wall one layer of timber at a
time so you are not getting dirt, rocks and grit into your chainsaw
which is needlessly dulling your blade...

(2.) You can rent a gasoline powered cut off saw and either cut
the timbers directly OR cut between the layers to remove the large
spikes/nails/screws or re-bar that are holding your wall together...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 20, 7:51*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Two mexicans, a crowbar, and a 6 pack of beer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:19:42 -0400, "The Henchman"
wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I get
about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become uselessly dull.
Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better way to cut those things? I
have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Years ago I built a retaining wall with railroad ties and use a chainsaw
to cut them to fit.
I did not have any trouble doing so.

But I have to ask. And not snicker because I have seen this happen- is it
possible the chain is on backwards?

I bought a little chain saw at a yard sale. Didn't cut worth a darn.
Chain on backwards. But he implies he sharpens his and it's good
for 3 more cuts, No, he buys another one, but still.

If he is cutting down a wall I bet he is hitting stone or grit and that is
killing his blade

I'll bet your right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
news:Z_adnbmPsOe8vvLRnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@supernews. com...
[...]

I'll bet your right.- Hide quoted text -

Having used ties for fencing, walls, etc. and cutting a lot of them
with a chainsaw - no the chain does not have to be backward - it will
get dull in only a few cuts. Rarely will you get a "clean" tie, they
have gravel, dirt etc embedded in them.

Carbide chain might work. I never tried that.

If cutting them in place in the wall, then for sure there is a lot of
dirt/gravel/whatever contaminating them.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Abby Brown wrote:

Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Use better chains. I use Oregon Micro-Chisel chains, and I've cut quite
a few used telephone poles for retaining walls without the chains
crapping out prematurely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I get about
3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become uselessly dull. Forget a
hand saw or axe. Is there a better way to cut those things? I have a lot
more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Let us have a little more information. Are you pulling them down, then
cutting them, or trying to cut them in place? Are you cleaning them in any
way before you cut them?

If you are cutting them in place, you will dull your blade very quickly from
the dirt and rocks. If you cut them without at least a hose sprayer
cleaning, you will have the same problem. I know they can be a bear, but
you can pull them with a big jack and a chain, or with a chain to the hitch
of a truck. Notice I did not say BUMPER.

If it was me, this is what I would do. I'd get them out of the ground,
either by jacking, or pulling with chain. The more you get out, and make
space, the easier they are, except for the occasional hard one. I'd take my
gas powered power washer, and wash them good. Then I'd cut them with a good
chain saw, making sure I had it on going the right direction. I have been
known to mount them backwards. They're wood, and should cut with a chain
saw if clean. If you don't have a chain saw, get a reciprocal cutter, and
use a long demo blade, trying to make square cuts. If you don't, use a
circular saw, and you will probably have to make cuts all around, and the,
it might not be enough to cut all the way through.

I have cut many with my Husqy 16" chainsaw.

It was asked before, but why are you cutting them?

Steve

visit my site, leave an e mail, and get a free book!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2010 7:51 PM, Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

get a better chain and keep it out of the dirt.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 1:51*am, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Depending on the construction and your location, you may be able to
haul the whole assembly out of the ground with a chain and an
agricultural tractor. It will do it easy. Or even a large SUV.
Everyone has one in America?
Unless you need them, just set them on fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 20, 7:51*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Pull the mess down with log chains and tractor/truck, load on trailer
and take to landfill. No need to be tidy, its a waste of time. Your
project focus is not to make a neat pile of short railroad ties, it is
to get rid of the things to build a better retaining wall. Wasn't that
easy, now?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Aug 20, 7:51 pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Pull the mess down with log chains and tractor/truck, load on trailer
and take to landfill. No need to be tidy, its a waste of time. Your
project focus is not to make a neat pile of short railroad ties, it is
to get rid of the things to build a better retaining wall. Wasn't that
easy, now?

Joe

It was just as unrealistic when Harry said it six hours ago. (At least
you didn't say to burn it, like he did.) Unless you have a tractor with
backhoe and/or front bucket to use as a crane, you're gonna have to
break the thing up to get it on the trailer anyway, much less dump it at
the other end. On a commercial site, they would use a small knuckle boom
crane or crawler-track backhoe, and a dump truck, and make short work of
it. For a DIY, there is no practical alternative to disassembly in
place, unless you happen to have some Big Yellow Things out back (or at
your buddy's place), and don't mind trashing the yard completely.

Yeah, I've done demo of rotted railroad tie walls- 30 years and 30
pounds ago, and it was a tedious clothes and gloves destroying PITA
then. Big pry bars to seperate the ties, and something to cut the rebar
with, are the low-buck solution, albeit hard on the back. That is why I
recommended finding a couple of strong teenagers. Try posting a flyer at
the local HS football field- their tryouts/training are starting up, and
most HS boys always need cash money. Football players and big crowbars
seem like a good match.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 20, 7:51 pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Pull the mess down with log chains and tractor/truck, load on trailer
and take to landfill. No need to be tidy, its a waste of time. Your
project focus is not to make a neat pile of short railroad ties, it is
to get rid of the things to build a better retaining wall. Wasn't that
easy, now?

Joe

With railroad ties at $10 per, I'd love to come over and rip and tear out
this and be happy to do so, and haul it off for free. I would put it on
freecycle.org, or craigslist, and find an individual like myself who would
come over and solve the problem, and do all the work. And maybe even drop
some cash for the rr ties.

But you're not into solving the problem, only posting adolescent prattle.
If you are going to post to a home repair newsgroup, please get some real
world experience.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 6:17*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/20/2010 7:51 PM, Abby Brown wrote:

Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

get a better chain and keep it out of the dirt.

--
Steve Barker

The problem with cutting ties is all the embedded dirt and gravel _IN_
the ties and no, there is no practical way to clean them first.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

In that webpage someone gave they recoommended this:

STIHL Rescue Chain Saw

The chain itself is 160 dollars on ebaay, but look at what it can do.

I hope someone I email this too will buy me one. I'm sure I can find a
use for it.

Compact heavy-duty chainsaw for rescue and emergency services use

The rescue saw Stihl MS 460 RS is a chainsaw designed specifically for
the requirements of the emergency services. The 76.5cc engine power
gives the carbide tipped chain sufficient feed force to cut into roofs
and walls.

Materials that can be cut include the following:
- Armoured glass - train windows
- Sheet steel
- Copper or aluminium sheet
- Roofing felt
- Wooden structures with nails
- Masonry
- Aluminium roll-up doors

Applications include:
- Cutting ventilation openings in flat roofs and cladding structures
during fire-fighting missions to allow smoke, toxic gases and heat to
escape - this is an important supplement to forced ventilation.
- Searching for the seat of a fire, particularly in the case of
smoldering fires in the roofs of industrial buildings.
- Cutting access gaps in multiple wall structures.
- Cutting panes of glass.

The tremendous performance packed by the rescue saw STIHL 046 RHD is
mainly due to the following factors:

Performance factor Nr. 1:
The power unit
This impressive engine develops considerable power right from the
mid-speed range. That means sufficient feed force for the chain, with
reserves to overcome high cutting resistance.

Performance factor Nr. 2:
The cutting attachments.
These comprise the STIHL Rollomatic ES guide bar with the sprocket on
the bar nose.

The cutters on the STIHL Rapid Duro S chain are tungsten
carbide/cobalt tipped - one of the hardest metal alloys. And the
cutting depth limiter allows the bar nose penetration depth to be
adjusted from 0 - approximately 20cm.

Performance factor Nr. 3:
Reliability.
Top quality material is essential for rugged technology. An
impact-resistant electronic ignition system ensures easy starting and
smooth running of the engine, for example.

A heavy-duty filter system always delivers sufficient clean air, even
in very dusty conditions.

Fuel
system Ignition
system Filter
system Cutting
attachments Bar guard with Depth stop Standard equipment
Carburettor:
all-position diaphragm carburettor with integral fuel pump
Electronically controlled ignition system, encapsulated and dustproof
HD-Filter for fine dust Carbide tipped special chain and
Rollomatic E-Super bar Infinitely adjustable depth stop for cutting
depths between 0 - approx. 20 cm Automatic chain brake, single
lever master control, Elastostart, anti-vibration system, side chain
tension adjustment, low kickback electronic ignition, see-through fuel
tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 4:22*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

I said depending. If you live out of town this is the way to go. If
he's cutting them up he doesn't want them. $10 each? Not if
they're cut up. Not worth the hassle of prising apart. I don't have
time to waste f***g about even if you do. My method ten minutes, your
method days of work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 7:51 pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Andy comments:

Put a post on www.craigslist.org that says " Free Railroad Ties
if you
haul them away " and you will save yourself a lot of work...

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 21, 10:22*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

Not to disappoint you Stevo, but many years ago working on farms in
the summer, we routinely got rid of log/railroad ties/ironwood fences
with pretty simple equipment and no chain saws. The key piece of
equipment was usually an old trailer with a crude hand winch. No one
would consider it a one man job.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thermite was used to weld them together 100 years ago.
You can buy it off EBay.
Or make your own.
Aluminum powder and black rust.
Black rust FeO4 is formed when iron rusts underwater.
Brown rust FeO3 is formed when iron rusts in air.
You have to grind it up into very small particles.
You use to be able to buy alum powder in an old fashioned hardware
store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 8:51*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

I know this is OT, but did anyone see the Factory Made episode where
they showed the process of making railroad ties out of recycled
plastic bottles?

Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5pE39mJ8p8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:11:10 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

Thermite was used to weld them together 100 years ago.
You can buy it off EBay.
Or make your own.
Aluminum powder and black rust.
Black rust FeO4 is formed when iron rusts underwater.
Brown rust FeO3 is formed when iron rusts in air.
You have to grind it up into very small particles.
You use to be able to buy alum powder in an old fashioned hardware
store.

Who lights the Thermite?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
Thermite was used to weld them together 100 years ago.
You can buy it off EBay.
Or make your own.
Aluminum powder and black rust.
Black rust FeO4 is formed when iron rusts underwater.
Brown rust FeO3 is formed when iron rusts in air.
You have to grind it up into very small particles.
You use to be able to buy alum powder in an old fashioned hardware
store.

here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EKHART-5413-POWD...-/390220806689

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 20, 7:51*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. *I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. *Forget a hand saw or axe. *Is there a better
way to cut those things? *I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

I didn't see any effective way in all these posts for ways to help you
to cut up the old ties, so let me offer this suggestion: go down to
your tool rental place and check out stump grinders. Our rental place
has a smaller one that rents for $25 or so a half day and munches
through old stump wood rather quickly. Although the chain is rather
wide, it isn't hurt by debris like a chain saw is. The machine is easy
to guide and control, and the only real downside is there will be a
whole lot of wood chips as a by product. Hope this will help.

Joe