Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties ?

Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using
to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks
(checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help
hold them together, and as a secondary
consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more
cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really
get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

dadiOH wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using
to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial
cracks (checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to
help hold them together, and as a secondary
consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing
more cracks or enlarging those already there.

Not a good idea...filling the cracks/checks won't stop moisture but it
*will* trap it.

Not to mention that railroad ties are not the best thing for garden
borders. Particularly not for vegetable gardens. Take your idea into the
rec.garden group and see what their advice is.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using
to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks
(checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help
hold them together, and as a secondary
consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more
cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really
get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

You are probably out of luck - I know of nothing that will do what you want
and last for a long time. Epoxy would do it but also trap moisture and
eventually fail. Plus - It will cost more than just getting new landscape
timbers or some other type of edging.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR

[snip]

.. Plus - It will cost more than just getting new landscape
timbers or some other type of edging.

Not the 3 x 5 landscape timbers from the typical big box stores, please.
They're termite magnets and not up to long term use. -- Regards --