Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How Do You Cut Railroad Ties?

Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

I am disassembly an old retaining wall made of railroad ties. I
get about 3 cuts per chain saw chain before they become
uselessly dull. Forget a hand saw or axe. Is there a better
way to cut those things? I have a lot more cuts to make.

Thanks,
Gary

Perhaps a dumb question, but why are you cutting them? Are you reusing
them for something else? Or is this just to make them easier to handle?
A couple big prybars, and a couple big teenagers, should make it
possible to pull them up off whatever pins are holding them together. A
sawzall with metal-cutting demo blades and/or an angle grinder with a
cutoff wheel, could cut the rebar or threaded rod between or above the
ties, to make the lifting and prying easier.

--
aem sends....