Posted to alt.home.repair

Default retrofit old air conditioner's thermostat?

I have an old air conditioner that uses non electronic temperature control.
It exhibits a large hysterisis. In other words, there is a large temperature
difference between when the pump kicks in, and when it turns off. This means
the air con won't cycle off until it's way too cold, and if I adjust the
thermostat to fix this, then it won't cycle on until it's way too hot.

Is there a commercial product to retrofit this type of thermostat with an
electronic one? This could be done by wrapping a heating coil on the
temperature probe of the old thermostat. Then when it is desirable to cycle
on the air cond, just heat the coil a little, and when it is desirable to
cycle off the air cond, just turn off the heating coil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 8:57*pm, "david" wrote:
I have an old air conditioner that uses non electronic temperature control.
It exhibits a large hysterisis. In other words, there is a large temperature
difference between when the pump kicks in, and when it turns off. This means
the air con won't cycle off until it's way too cold, and if I adjust the
thermostat to fix this, then it won't cycle on until it's way too hot.

Is there a commercial product to retrofit this type of thermostat with an
electronic one? This could be done by wrapping a heating coil on the
temperature probe of the old thermostat. Then when it is desirable to cycle
on the air cond, just heat the coil a little, and when it is desirable to
cycle off the air cond, just turn off the heating coil.

If you are going to go to all that trouble, then why can't you just
turn the ac temp knob to turn it on, and then back it off? You could
also take the temp control off the unit and see if you can improve its
reponse by locating it more in the airstream so it responds quicker to
a drop in temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DT wrote:
In article , says...
I have an old air conditioner that uses non electronic temperature control.
It exhibits a large hysterisis. In other words, there is a large temperature
difference between when the pump kicks in, and when it turns off. This means
the air con won't cycle off until it's way too cold, and if I adjust the
thermostat to fix this, then it won't cycle on until it's way too hot.

Is there a commercial product to retrofit this type of thermostat with an
electronic one? This could be done by wrapping a heating coil on the
temperature probe of the old thermostat. Then when it is desirable to cycle
on the air cond, just heat the coil a little, and when it is desirable to
cycle off the air cond, just turn off the heating coil.

I converted a large window unit and it worked flawlessly. I just bought a line
voltage temperature controller with remote thermocouple and plugged the AC unit
into it. Leave the temperature knob turned all the way down.

I used a Love controller from Dwyer, I think this is the series I used:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/P...eName=Ordering

You could do it with a cheaper controller (available at Home Depot) but the Love
is adjustable for span and has a remote so you can sample air temperature away
from the unit. I have never had a room temperature so nicely controlled.

I wired a transformer/relay/room thermostat to an outlet for the
window AC. Works great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 2:57*am, "david" wrote:
I have an old air conditioner that uses non electronic temperature control.
It exhibits a large hysterisis. In other words, there is a large temperature
difference between when the pump kicks in, and when it turns off. This means
the air con won't cycle off until it's way too cold, and if I adjust the
thermostat to fix this, then it won't cycle on until it's way too hot.

Is there a commercial product to retrofit this type of thermostat with an
electronic one? This could be done by wrapping a heating coil on the
temperature probe of the old thermostat. Then when it is desirable to cycle
on the air cond, just heat the coil a little, and when it is desirable to
cycle off the air cond, just turn off the heating coil.

The ultimate method is to get an inverter and control the compressor
speed.
The fan(s) needs to run at normal speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 2:58*am, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
In article , says...

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/P...=428&sPageName....

You could do it with a cheaper controller (available at Home Depot) but the Love
is adjustable for span and has a remote so you can sample air temperature away
from the unit. I have never had a room temperature so nicely controlled..

* I wired a transformer/relay/room thermostat to an outlet for the
window AC. *Works great.- Hide quoted text -

THis is a much better solution than spending $89.00 for the Love
controller.

Moisture coming out of window air conditioner's vents PRW Home Repair 27 June 17th 18 12:50 AM
shake retrofit peter Home Repair 0 November 24th 05 03:37 PM
ERV retrofit William Brown Home Repair 2 June 27th 05 04:09 AM
Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital Readouts for Efficiency Operation Verification? udarrell Home Repair 12 May 10th 05 03:35 AM
Tub to shower retrofit TerryS Home Repair 3 September 5th 04 04:50 AM