William Brown

Default ERV retrofit

I've been considering adding an energy recovering ventilator to my old
house; since we spent so much time and effort leakproofing it, the air
is now often stale, and the fireplace won't draw.

I did a search, and there are many companies making them, but of course
they all claim to be the best, and I don't know enough about them to
evaluate them, much less to decipher which ones will last longer and be
easier to maintain.

Please post any advice on the benefits/detriments of these, what I
should look out for, and which manufacturers offer the best reasonably
priced units.

Our house is about 900 square feet per floor, with heating/AC
ventilation to the basement, first floor, second floor, and (marginally)
attic.
Joseph Meehan

William Brown wrote:
I've been considering adding an energy recovering ventilator to my old
house; since we spent so much time and effort leakproofing it, the air
is now often stale, and the fireplace won't draw.

I did a search, and there are many companies making them, but of
course they all claim to be the best, and I don't know enough about
them to evaluate them, much less to decipher which ones will last
longer and be easier to maintain.

Please post any advice on the benefits/detriments of these, what I
should look out for, and which manufacturers offer the best reasonably
priced units.

Our house is about 900 square feet per floor, with heating/AC
ventilation to the basement, first floor, second floor, and
(marginally) attic.

I am not suggesting that you should not do it, but keep in mind that
older homes are not all that well sealed so your benefits are likely to be
less than you might expect from a newer home.(How old? Maybe I am thinking
older than it is.)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

m Ransley

The only way to know if you need one or will benefit is get a blower
door test, it measures air exchanges per hour, as JM said old homes are
hard to seal. If your house is tight you need it sized right.