udarrell

Default Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital Readouts for Efficiency Operation Verification?

How would you like, Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital Readouts for
Efficiency Operation Verification?

This would be so easy to do that it is ridiculous that it was not done a
decade ago. We have had operational formulas for decades that could easily
be incorporated into computer digital readouts, as well as,
total-computerized control of both the indoor blower and outdoor condenser
systems.

The indoor computer would sense the dry bulb air temperature and the wet
bulb temperature (or humidity) and the temperature drop split, along with
the blower CFM. The computer program would then adjust the ultra-efficient
variable speed blower to achieve the setpoints of the thermostat and
humidistat. It would satisfy the setpoint of the humidistat first, then the
thermostat setpoint.

The outdoor computer would sense the air temperature and the condenser
discharge air temperature and pressure temperature and using the btu/hr
formula provide the digital readout of the actual btu/hr of heat being
transferred to the outside by the evaporator coil and the condenser.

The condenser's ultra-efficient variable speed motor would keep the
condenser pressure/temperature at a predetermined setpoint for optimal
efficiency of operation. The compressor would have a temperature activated
crankcase heater to keep any condensed liquid refrigerant boiled out of the
compressor's oil.

The charts and formulas I illustrate in my other air-conditioning pages
would be easily applicable to the specific operational specifications of the
individual units.
- udarrell - Darrell
--
Air-Conditioning Manufacturing Companies - "Adding Marketing Values to A/C
Equipment"

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...l_readout.html

http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...companies.html

Edwin Pawlowski

"udarrell" wrote in message
How would you like, Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital Readouts
for
Efficiency Operation Verification?

This would be so easy to do that it is ridiculous that it was not done a
decade ago.

Who cares? I'm either comfortable or I'm not. If not, I adjust the
thermostat so that I am.

My heating thermostat read out with the hours it ran etc. I've never looked
at it after the second day and that was 10 years ago. My guess is that most
people agree with me as long as they are comfy.

Joseph Meehan

udarrell wrote:
How would you like, Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital
Readouts for Efficiency Operation Verification?

This would be so easy to do that it is ridiculous that it was not

That sounds like a solution without a problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

m Ransley

A good idea.

Bob G.

On Tue, 3 May 2005 06:44:21 -0500, "udarrell"
wrote:

How would you like, Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital Readouts for
Efficiency Operation Verification?

This would be so easy to do that it is ridiculous that it was not done a
decade ago. We have had operational formulas for decades that could easily
be incorporated into computer digital readouts, as well as,
total-computerized control of both the indoor blower and outdoor condenser
systems.

snip snip snip .....

I guess there would be a small market for such a system....

I however want just a simple thermostat ...on/ off with a Digital
readout (easier to read) ...no need for any fancy programable
thermostat.....

Bob G.

m Ransley

Some people don`t care about gauges on a car for most idiot lights are
fine. For me there are never enough gauges. Heat is the #1 cause of
transmission failure, how many cars have trans temp gauges. Each to his
own.

udarrell

We are NOT talking about a mere programmable thermostat, we are talking
about a simple computer program that gives you a digital read-out of the
BTU/hr the condenser is putting out while operating under a variation of
conditions.

In the future someone could make a lot of money designing a miniature add-on
computer that would show the owner and tech exactly the BTU/hr the unit was
operating at. All automobiles have a small computerized system and most have
a plug-in to trouble shoot them. Yes, a lot of equipment has that much now,
but what I am talking about would be a Value-added feature for the
manufacturers', the owners, and the techs. Wouldn't you like to like at a
digital read-out and know exactly the amount of BTUs/hr the unit was putting
out? (I would.)

There are a high percentage of older system units that are not putting out
anywhere near the rated BTU/hr. For example, there has to be a lot of 4-ton
systems operating at a mere 2½ to 3-tons. Sure you and I can find them and
correct the problems, but a lot of owners don't realize they have a 4-ton
system delivering 3 or 3½ tons. I know a guy right now that has a 1½ ton
system and he is only getting a little over one ton and he doesn't know it.
Yeah, I told him but he thinks I am kidding him. - udarrell

--

"Jim" wrote in message

Sound pretty useless to me.

Shouldn't be any market except maybe for an hvac classroom.

On Tea, 3 May 2005 06:44:21 -0500, "udarrell"
wrote:

[...]

John Harlow

udarrell wrote:
How would you like, Air Conditioner's with Computerized Digital
Readouts for Efficiency Operation Verification?

Me personally? Yes - I'm interested in knowing as much as I can about how
stuff works, particularly the things which cost me a lot to run LOL!

But the average person doesn't care too much as long as they're comfy and
the electric bill isn't outrageous. No reason your intelligent A/C can't do
all that "behind the scenes" and have a simple operator interface. Perhaps
it could have a "check engine" light when it finds a fault.

I just built a little microcontroller based well pump monitor to keep an eye
on what's going on with my water system. The idea is it can learn trends
and warn me of impending problems. It monitors total run time, number of
start / stop cycles and average motor current, and displays it all in a nice
graphical format. So far it's telling me my pump isn't running any more
than necessary - a good thing! I'm considering adding some things like a
pipe burst detector which will shut down the pump if it detects an abnormal
flow pattern.

I'm planning on making a monitor for my heat pumps too. That one will be
slightly more complex though, as it will monitor things like inside and
outside temperature. It ought to be able to display system efficiency in
pretty much real time.

udarrell

That is very interesting.
I believe a lot individuals in the computerization field would enjoy
applying their trade skills to an industry where optimal efficient operation
can be a terrific plus for everyone involved.

A tech could determine the BTU/hr output in short time if manufacturing
companies would furnish more information and relevant graphs for techs to
use.
A BTU/hr read-out of the condenser in operation under varying conditions
would be a real eye opener!

The majority in this NG will probably make fun of these marketable
value-added features. However, I see numerous ways that computerization will
be very helpful in helping achieve optimal A/C and refrigeration efficiency
levels for this massive energy usage industry. - udarrell
--

"John Harlow" wrote in message
udarrell wrote:
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Personally, I'd love it. As for myself, I've got an indoor outdoor
thermometer, wtih the outdoor bulb reading the temp of my window AC
discharge. But, that sounds like even more fun.

Not sure I could sell any of them, though.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"udarrell" wrote in message
[...]

kerjef

What if the device could detect the onset of equipment failures?
Possibly relay the information to your home PC; indicating if the
machine is healthy or not--and whether it's likely to fail in the
middle of winter given the conditions you have now?

udarrell

"kerjef" wrote in message
oups.com...
What if the device could detect the onset of equipment failures?
Possibly relay the information to your home PC; indicating if the
machine is healthy or not--and whether it's likely to fail in the
middle of winter given the conditions you have now?

With the correct programming and sensors all of that is possible!

Plus you could have a report of the actual BTU/hr output of the condenser.
Of course, the report would be relevant only if both coils and the blower
wheel blades were clean!

Indoor and outdoor blower CFM could be program monitored as well.
The hot gas discharge line temperature should be monitored and a high temp
bi-metal cut off switch installed.
Stretch, Paul, Jake, and others know the possibilities in these areas. -
udarrell
--
Air-Conditioning Manufacturing Companies - "Adding Real Utility Marketing
Values to A/C Equipment"