Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Icemaker for Kenmore Elite Mystery

I have a Kenmore Elite, Model 105.56709500, which has done a good job of
working with minimal efforts (a few DIY filters replaced for the water and
ice dispensers, coils vacuumed, etc.) towards maintainance required.

I swapped out the "frosted" and dehydrated ice storage bin, rinsed the
crushing cavity with warm water, let everything air-dry, and re-assembled
the unit as I've done so often no thought is required when performing this
task. I closed the freezer back up and waited for the ice maker to start
pumping ice. It's been three days and there's not one cube. I checked the
water dispenser; free-flowing, cold water there. I checked to make sure the
shut-off flap is closing correctly; it is. I cleared the reset buttons for
power failure and when you swap out a filter. Nothing is allowing ice to be
made. There isn't any ice build-up within the mechanisms...

Is there anything else I might have overlooked? There isn't any ice build-up
within the mechanisms...

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-12, The Ranger wrote:

task. I closed the freezer back up and waited for the ice maker to start
pumping ice. It's been three days and there's not one cube. I checked the
water dispenser; free-flowing, cold water there. I checked to make sure the

Not enough info, Range. Is the ice compartment separate from the rest
of the freezer section? If not, are other foods in the freezer not
frozen? If you've got all previously frozen foods in the freezer
section and nothing has defrosted in the freezer section, have you put
anything new in the freezer section and it hasn't frozen? A small
bowl of water will tell.

shut-off flap is closing correctly.....

What is this "shut-off" flap? A flap between the main freezer and the
ice making section or are you referring to the "shut-off" flap door
between.... what? Freezer coils and freezer? Main refrigerator and
freezer? Ice maker compartment (is it separate?) and main freezer.
Need more info.

Is there anything else I might have overlooked? There isn't any ice build-up
within the mechanisms...

Most refrigerators have a 3 sections in the cold part of the system:
refrigerator, freezer, freezer coils. There are doors/vents/fans of
some sort between the three. Most refrigerators have the ice-maker
section in the freezer section. If the freezer is not freezing water
or keeping previously frozen foods frozen, most likely the coils are
icing up or the thermostat is dying and it will only degrade from
there.

I'd love to help, but need more detailed info, Range. Got a pdf link
or users manual link?

nb