Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Icemaker Repair Question

"James" wrote in message
net...
This is a Sears Kenmore Icemaker, about 5 years old. Icemaker doesn't
get
water.

I studied the problem, and thought for sure it was the water solenoid and
valve. So, I replaced that, but the icemaker still doesn't get water.

The drinking water outlet on the front of the refrigerator works fine.

I don't know exactly what "signals" the icemaker to receive water. I
know
it is on a timer, but I don't know where the timer is, or how it works...

Is this a repair that an average homeowner should be able to do ?

any comments or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Icemakers are the most common repair on refrigerators. I've repaired mine
once and replaced it the second time. Overall, not a difficult job. I like
having one so I'm willing to fix as needed.

Try going to www.repairclinic.com and www.applianceaid.com for some
diagnostic help. I don't know the details, but the icemaker has to function
to send the signal to the valve to open. Front cover comes off for access
to the motor and wiring harness. Make sure the arm id down and allowing it
to cycle and that the temperature is OK for it to work. If they get out of
sync it can take hours for the machine to start.