Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine repair question

Andy writes:
If someone can suggest a better newsgroup for this question I
would appreciate it..

I have a Briggs 4 cycle , 5hp outboard motor that sat unused for 6
months.

Now, when I crank it up, it runs, but after about 15 seconds oil comes
pouring out the oil filler cap at the top of the engine, and after a
few more
seconds, the engine stops. No noticeable smoke from the exhaust.
While
the engine is running, but when I crank it back up 15 minutes later ,
there is
some smoke, a small amount, out of the exhaust for a few seconds.

The oil level is proper, and the oil filler cap does not fit
tightly, so
the oil can come out.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:28:18 -0700, Andy wrote:

Andy writes:
If someone can suggest a better newsgroup for this question I
would appreciate it..

I have a Briggs 4 cycle , 5hp outboard motor that sat unused for 6
months.

Now, when I crank it up, it runs, but after about 15 seconds oil comes
pouring out the oil filler cap at the top of the engine, and after a few
more
seconds, the engine stops. No noticeable smoke from the exhaust. While
the engine is running, but when I crank it back up 15 minutes later ,
there is
some smoke, a small amount, out of the exhaust for a few seconds.

The oil level is proper, and the oil filler cap does not fit
tightly, so
the oil can come out.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Might help to know the model number of the motor. Besides that, there may
be a separate breather somewhere that an insect or small animal has
clogged while the motor was stored. I can't recall ever seeing oil forced
up the filler on a small motor but there's pressure building up inside
and the only way out it seems is the filler. Usually the right oil level
does permit some blow-by to escape up the filler since there should be a
small gap at the top of the filler hole in the block between the oil
level and the top of the hole. Are you sure you don't have too much oil
in it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
Andy writes:
If someone can suggest a better newsgroup for this question I
would appreciate it..

I have a Briggs 4 cycle , 5hp outboard motor that sat unused for 6
months.

Now, when I crank it up, it runs, but after about 15 seconds oil comes
pouring out the oil filler cap at the top of the engine, and after a
few more
seconds, the engine stops. No noticeable smoke from the exhaust.
While
the engine is running, but when I crank it back up 15 minutes later ,
there is
some smoke, a small amount, out of the exhaust for a few seconds.

The oil level is proper, and the oil filler cap does not fit
tightly, so
the oil can come out.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

I'd consider this: disassemble slowly. Look for additional crank case
breather, and make sure it is open. Remove float bowl, and flush. (I know
that doesn't have anything to do with your oil problem, but that will be
your next problem.) Drain oil by taking out drain plug. Drain gas by
tipping or by taking the gas hose loose. Make sure everything is clean, and
that includes the flywheel. They can get wasp nests in there or insect
nests, and screw up the spark making apparatus. Just make sure you take it
apart enough to see the obvious. Refill with clean oil and gas. You might
want to flush the engine with diesel, if you want to take that step. I
would. Just drain it really good, and then only use the oil used in the
first change for a short interval before changing. If there's an issue with
blockage, the diesel should force through and blow it out. Just take the
spark loose and tape over the cap. There is little chance of ignition with
the diesel fuel, but do be careful. You might try taking a 1/2" drive
socket on the big nut on the flywheel and turning the motor for ten
revolutions or so to pump the diesel through any channels in there, then
drain immediately. You got something blocked, apparently.

Let us know if you find the smoking engine. Errrrrrrrr smoking gun, that
is. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 4:28*pm, Andy wrote:
Andy writes:

[...]

My guess is there is too much oil. This could be from gas leaking thru
the carb and into the crankcase past the rings over the 6 month
period. This will give you a gas/oil overload. Also make sure you have
the correct dipstick.

Drain the oil and replace with proper amount as per manual and see
what happens then.

Hank ~~~~just guessing
Posted to alt.home.repair

5 HP engines typically take 16 to 20 ounces of oil.

I'm also thinking crankcase breather. Clogged, jammed, etc.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message

My guess is there is too much oil. This could be from gas leaking thru
the carb and into the crankcase past the rings over the 6 month
period. This will give you a gas/oil overload. Also make sure you have
the correct dipstick.

Drain the oil and replace with proper amount as per manual and see
what happens then.

Hank ~~~~just guessing

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
Andy writes:
If someone can suggest a better newsgroup for this question I
would appreciate it..

I have a Briggs 4 cycle , 5hp outboard motor that sat unused for 6
months.

Now, when I crank it up, it runs, but after about 15 seconds oil comes
pouring out the oil filler cap at the top of the engine, and after a
few more
seconds, the engine stops. No noticeable smoke from the exhaust.
While
the engine is running, but when I crank it back up 15 minutes later ,
there is
some smoke, a small amount, out of the exhaust for a few seconds.

The oil level is proper, and the oil filler cap does not fit
tightly, so
the oil can come out.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Oil cap don't fit? Is it supposed to be tight or is it a breather cap?

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
5 HP engines typically take 16 to 20 ounces of oil.

I'm also thinking crankcase breather. Clogged, jammed, etc.

My bet is a spider found it's way in there and built a web.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:18 pm, LSMFT wrote:

Oil cap don't fit? Is it supposed to be tight or is it a breather cap?

Andy comments

Thanks to all for their advice.

B&S only makes one model of outboard motor.

As I mentioned, the oil level is correct.

The oil filler cap is NOT a tight fit. It never
has been. The dipstick is part of it and it
is the original issue.

The engine has splash lubrication just like
a lawnmore engine, so there are no "channels"
to get clogged.

It worked fine when I stored it 6 months ago.

There is no reason to suspect that it has anything
to do with wasps nests under the flywheel or leaves
in the cowling.....Those would cause more of a
cooling problem, and it isn't running long enough
for the engine to get hot.

I think I will take off the cover of the crankcase
breather and soak it in gas for a while.

If that works, I'll report back here so we all can
see if that was the solution.

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 4:12*am, Andy wrote:

[...]

It has a breather and a breather tube. Somewhere that is probably
clogged. Typically the tube goes back to the carb or air filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 01:12:04 -0700, Andy wrote:
The engine has splash lubrication just like a lawnmore engine, so there
are no "channels" to get clogged.

Hmm, the ones I've seen have splash lubrication for the piston, crank
etc. - but there are still a couple of small channels between the
flywheel end bearing and the valve chest, and then from the valve chest
down into the sump. I do think it's unlikely that they'd get jammed
though - or if they did, that it'd cause the problem you're seeing.

I think I will take off the cover of the crankcase breather and soak it
in gas for a while.

Or just loosen it where the breather/filter bolts to the engine (for the
larger engines the breather also forms the valve chest cover, but that
may not be true on yours); you won't make much of a mess in just a few
seconds' running.

If you do clean it, test by blowing through it...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 7:30*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
[...]

Many B+S engines have a breather tube that goes from the crankcase
back into the air inlet of the carburetior. The tube is long enough
that unless the piston bypass is very large, actual oil doen't make it
into the air inlet. If the breather tube is blocked for some reason,
the bypassed air around the piston will force oil back up the filler
tube.