Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine repair question

On Aug 6, 7:30*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 01:12:04 -0700, Andy wrote:
The engine has splash lubrication just like a lawnmore engine, so there
are no "channels" to get clogged.

Hmm, the ones I've seen have splash lubrication for the piston, crank
etc. - but there are still a couple of small channels between the
flywheel end bearing and the valve chest, and then from the valve chest
down into the sump. I do think it's unlikely that they'd get jammed
though - or if they did, that it'd cause the problem you're seeing.

I think I will take off the cover of the crankcase breather and soak it
in gas for a while.

Or just loosen it where the breather/filter bolts to the engine (for the
larger engines the breather also forms the valve chest cover, but that
may not be true on yours); you won't make much of a mess in just a few
seconds' running.

If you do clean it, test by blowing through it...

cheers

Jules

Many B+S engines have a breather tube that goes from the crankcase
back into the air inlet of the carburetior. The tube is long enough
that unless the piston bypass is very large, actual oil doen't make it
into the air inlet. If the breather tube is blocked for some reason,
the bypassed air around the piston will force oil back up the filler
tube.